WTF-approved adult sparring gear?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tian-Tian, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

I'm so sorry for flooding the board with my numerous questions but I must know the answers to these things! :) And I figured it's a different question topic...

I have just cloth instep/shin guards and cloth arm guards (ProForce). While this gear has been essential to my training so far, I think I'm ready to graduate on to more serious WTF sparring gear.

1. In regards to gear: I need head, chest, instep, shin (sometimes not required?), arm.... and I would add WTF-approved hand protectors only because I feel safer with something over my hands (mostly because I throw more torso punches when I spar than anyone else I've seen). Am I missing anything?

2. Do some WTF competitions have specific gear they want their competitors to wear? :confused: I see different chest guards at different competitions yet everyone seems to match gear. Are they issued this gear when they register for competition?

3. Should I buy only one color of helmet (blue) or both red and blue?

4. Are mouthguards needed for WTF sparring? I see people kihap but no guards in their mouths??

5. Which kind of chest protector should I get?? http://www.blackbeltshop.com/adidas_reversible_chestguard.htm or http://www.blackbeltshop.com/adidas_solid_reversible_chest_guard.htm ?

6. Best place to go online for cost-friendly WTF-approved sparring gear? Should I go to just one place or buy from several where prices vary?

Thanks, y'all! :D

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Gum shield. Not necessary, but invaluable.

Depends on the event. Usually detailed in the application instructions.

Never in my experience.

Both. Chest protectors, on the other hand, are usually reversible with a different colour on each side.

See above.

2nd. Shoulder pads are compulsory at many events.

Your instructor. He can probably get a discount.

3. Tian-Tian

Van, YOU are invaluable. :D Thanks for the help!

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Anything to help :)

5. Tian-Tian

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah, looks good. Ok it with your instructor first because (unbelievably) some are funny about where you buy kit from.

7. Tian-Tian

Not if I buy it before I switch schools. ;)

Well here's the thing: I might train here in Texas until July, then I'll be moving to Utah to continue my college degree. Should I wait?

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Wait until you buy it? Nah, get it out of the way now I'd say.

9. Tian-Tian

Hmm.... well just as soon as I get a bit more income going I'll make my purchases. :)

On the gum guard... should I buy a cheapo $1USD that doesn't form to my mouth, buy the ones you boil then stick in to get a good fit or get a custom-made?

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I got my dentist to custom make mine. Bit more pricey, but invaluable.

11. Tian-Tian

Gah! Dentists scare me. I can take a kick to the head but drills= NO WAY. :eek:

On the bright side, I've been told I have pretty straight teeth, so maybe I could get away with a boil-to-fit gum guard for now.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If you get a boil-to-fit one, I'd advise one that covers the top and bottom jaws. Search online for the ShockDoctor gum shield.

13. Tian-Tian

It seems a good brand; I wonder if they carry it at my local sports store.

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'd say get the dentist custom fitted mouthguard. Mine cost ~£40 and all they do is take a mould of your mouth (no drills required) and a week later you have a lovely made to measure gumsheild.

15. liero

liero Valued Member

As for headgear...buy a white one for now, its cheaper. You really don't need blue/red ones they just cost more.

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you always use your shin guard, you will never give your shin a chance to be strong.

17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Wearing a shin guard doesn't eliminate trauma to the shin bone, it just spreads it out and decreases it. I wager the bones still strengthen just fine.

18. Tian-Tian

Eh, my shins aren't very good anyhow; when I did soccer early on in high school I had to quit the team because the impact from running gave me AWFUL shin splits. :eek: I literally spent every day after practice in an ice bath!

I'll have to ask my dentist how much a gum guard will be... again, that's just gonna come down to how much money is in my pocket. ;)

Talked to a TKD school in Utah where I plan to move to in July or so. They go have sparring equipment for a very good discount, so I may wait just yet. :)

19. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

WTF approved means they get a cut of the profits, there really isn't much difference between WTF, ITF, or any other gear. Find what you like and wear it....

20. eedan

eedan Valued Member

As a tkd school owner, I have some thoughts on your question. First, wait until you get to Utah so you are sure you have what THAT school requires. We do not allow students to buy elsewhere and use it in our school for 2 reasons - one, we sell it and do it at a fair price and deserve the revenue. two - it is OUR insurance liability and we only sell truly safe equipment (hard chest guards vs the ones with some padding) that FITS PROPERLY - and if you've never had a hogu etc. YOU DO NOT know what proper fit means. We buy from reliable vendors whose products last or who will replace them free if something breaks (hogu strings coming un-sewn etc)We sell our complete kits at a much reduced price from what you will ever get from a catalogue. You need an "Olympic style" chest guard - Adidas is just the same as the ones I buy wholesale with my school logo at 1/4 the price. If you want better fist/forarm guards or shin/instep guards, Century has a style with gel inside (Martial Armor). Very good. Don't waste $ on plastic etc. Most competitions don't permit that style any more. In tkd sparring, you only need a $5 mouth guard that you boil for a few seconds and form to your mouth. But, I do like the Shock Dr. brand for blackbelts where there is full contact and head kicks. Headgear is pretty standard in tkd. Although in the big AAU tournaments you may need gear of both red and blue, most local or regional tournaments will allow you to wear (neutral) white or black. At $35-$40 each, that is a big savings. Also, don't forget female groin guard. Many tournaments won't allow women to compete without it - just like guys - "cup check". A good set of sparring gear should cost you about $150 to $180 and that includes a "fancy" bag designed to carry your hogu rather than having to cram it into the bag or carry it separately.
    Hope this helps