Wrongly

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by righty, Sep 4, 2011.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

Debating a bit for a few days before starting this. I'm hesitant to put in numbers because I get mass envy but I don't have to so I won't for now. And so this is likely to be a bit of a ramble of random thoughts.

Plus I'm only getting back into it after yet some more injuries.

Just got back from a quick shot at some squats and deadlifts. Am getting the hang on the deadlift better and better. Also been feeling less and less inclined to go for the upper body stuff lately. I don't seem to be getting as much out of it with less improvements and I don't really enjoy doing the balancing exercises to keep my shoulders anti-Frodo. And I never really liked the press anyway.

Take squats for example, since I started doing them again leg related MA stuff is much more improved, almost like magic. Surprised myself with some absolutely awesome kicks out of nowhere while sparring just the other night. And it's been feeling much more natural to go in low and deep for throws.

Nothing like this for upper body. Nothing.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

with the deadlift you're getting a pulling action on your arms as well. are you getting any push work to balance it out at all?

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

LOL at 'keep my shoulders anti-Frodo'! Good on you for posting your log! You should think about putting numbers in, as it's nice for both you and us to be able to see progress (however, don't feel pressured to do so).

Good to hear you think your kicking is being helped by the lower body stuff your doing.

I have to say I'm less worried about an apparent lack of pushing than I would be if it was the other way round and there was no pulling (she may be doing pushups or something in her martial arts classes). One of the reason for balancing pushing with pulling is lifestyle related, i.e. poor posture and shoulders in a hunched position from spending too much time on a computer, which pulling work can help to correct.

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yes, but when you start putting numbers up, and looking at other people's, the senses of shame and envy you get are powerful motivating factors! I respect your decision not to, though.

5. righty

righty Valued Member

Last night got an almost private lesson for part of the Judo class. One of the benefits to being a relative newbie. It was pointed out that my stance, which I didn’t think was an issue at all, wasn’t doing me any favours. I have been using more of a striking stance which is more natural to me but makes me a bit slow in moving my legs around. Oh the wonders of the cross trainer.

On a low note after a few weeks of feeling good my knee went dicky again. Sat out of randori as a result but got in 100 BW squats while I was watching. I did get some newaza in against one of the co-coaches and got a complement I was quite strong.

That leads me to another point with a larger competition coming up I’m going to focus more on technique and fitness. In my division I will likely have the strength advantage over the other competitors but being less experienced and ummm lazy they will likely be up on me in terms of technique and match fitness.

Think I might be getting another cold too. As judged by a slightly sore throat and craving for oranges.

6. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Just remember the body is a unit and imbalances in any form are bad. Being all lower body and not really doing anything for upper body creates an imbalance.

Upper body training, or weight training in general doesnt have to be "strength" training. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with doing bicep curls, front raises, and the like rather than presses. Any resistance training will be beneficial. As far as shoulders, you can get a great deal of work out of upright rows and lateral raises neither of which should give you a bad case of Frodo-shoulder.

My point is just because what you've DONE hasnt worked doesnt mean there arent other things out there that wont prove beneficial.

7. Frodocious

I've had the same thing pointed out to me in the past. I always tend to end up in a thai boxing type stance which does mess with my footwork on occasions.

8. righty

righty Valued Member

It always takes a bout of illness to realise just how important breathing is. That and being chocked out of course.

Only made it 5 Km into a planned long ride after my throat felt like a chainsaw was attacking it combined with the feeling just not enough air was coming in to my lungs.

It sucks, just when I have the motivation to really get up and do something, illness seems to drag me down. It just hasn't been a good 6-12 months for me in this regard. And I've even been eating my veges.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

40 Km ride.

10. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Don't be embarrassed about the weight you are lifting, be embarrassed if you are sitting on your butt at home doing nothing. Heck, I remember when I starting lifting back in high school and feeling horrible for only benching 20lb dumbbells and thinking how the hell am I ever going to do this? I can now bench a few pounds more, less than in my 20s, but who cares? I am lifting for myself.

11. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Really the only involvement from your arms in a deadlift should be gripping the bar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3O_nuRX_pQ"]TFW Leg Day Part 1 (Deadlifts) - YouTube[/ame]

12. righty

righty Valued Member

That's exactly what I am doing right now. Well I am sitting on my **** watching the rugby and I'm considering getting a beer to accompany it all.

I've just got back from a stay-in training camp and am quite tired and sore. All over. So that decision to first stand up and walk alll that way to the fridge for the beer is actually a hard one.

On the plus side I learnt a hell of a lot. Great techniques as well as a bunch of new training drills and tactics. I still have to remember then and practise them all to make them stick but there a few I think I can really make work for me. Got some good personal tips from some top coaches as well.

Another point is that training and doing MA all day for a number of full days makes me now want to keep being active even though I really am throughly exhausted. So I gave in and am watching sport instead of doing it, whichis good enough at the moment. I wouldn't be able to watch a movie right now because I'd get restless.

It does also make me realise the amount of training the pros do for any sport and just how hard they work week in and week out.

13. righty

righty Valued Member

So maybe I will start putting some numbers up. I mean, this is all anonymous right? Or maybe it's just that sense of shame and envy. Hmm. At least it's will act as a bit of a record for me.

So back to resistance training after a number of weeks I took away from it to build up to competition. So I'm starting a bit lighter and will hopefully build up again soon.

Warmup - consisting of rubber band uchi komi, dynamic leg swings, torso circles and air guitar.

Squats
    1x5 BW ATG
    1x5 10Kg
    1x5 30Kg
    1x5 40Kg
    3x5 50Kg

Bench Press
    1x5 30Kg
    3x5 35Kg

Bent over row - first attempt at these to replace inverted BW row.
    3x10 12KG DBs

14. Frodocious

You shouldn't be ashamed of those numbers, besides which numbers are essential (imo) to monitor your progress over the years and so people can offer you advice - particularly once you get to the point that you start to struggle to increase them.

I would mix and match with the rows and inverted bw rows. They both have their benefits. The inverted bw ones really make you concentrate on keeping your core tight.

I like the addition of the air guitar to your warm up! :D

15. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Dead on Frodocious. That's the only reason to writer numbers down. There are many different body types out there, some are just better equipped to bench, some are better equipped to squat, etc. As long as you are making progress, that is all that counts.

16. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

:jawdrop:

I REALLY want to see a video of that!

17. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Rubber band uchikomi is kick-ass. I don't get the air guitar thing though. That would be a VERY interesting vid. Video or it never happened!

18. righty

righty Valued Member

My hero.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSep8y0_a3k"]Air GuitarWorld Championships 2010 Soraya "Eva Gina Runner" Garlenq 1st round - YouTube[/ame]

19. righty

righty Valued Member

Bit of a hectic week but no room for excuses.

Squat
    1x5 BW
    1x5 10Kg
    1x5 30Kg
    1x5 40Kg
    1x5 50Kg
    3x5 55Kg

OH Press
    1x5 10Kg
    1x5 20Kg
    3x5 30Kg Struggling with this one

Deadlift
    1x5 70Kg

Assisted Pullups
    3 sets to failure. Felt a twinge in the shoulder so pulled up a bit short.

20. Frodocious

Once you start struggling with OHPs, you can add push presses to help increase your max. Either do them as the last couple of reps of a set or as a set on their own. I found they helped me with my OHP.