Wrists hurting from breakfalling?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JamesR, Dec 20, 2011.

1. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Anyone else get this? I mean in just one lesson I must breakfall about 200 times slapping the mat, she shock and pressure on my wrist seems to be pretty bad, wrists seem a lot weaker than they used to be anyway?

Any evidence behind this?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Are you slapping the map with the edge of your hand or the flat of your hand?

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have always felt that slapping the mat is ridiculous, I had the same problem.

I go by the principal:

"The quieter you land, the less it hurts"

4. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Flat of my hand.

If I get thrown really fast or hard and I breakfall hard, I don't half feel it on my wrist, there is definite weakness there which might go away or might not. Only been there 9 months, just wondering what kind of damage it's doing

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Ask your teacher.

They are going to be familiar with the particular method of ukemi used in your Dojo.

Personally I'm with Chadderz I don't like the whole slapping thing.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The slapping thing is important for beginners, because without it, they don't fall properly. I've never had problems with my wrist though. Its odd.

7. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Even if you haven't yet, you can see were we are coming from? Each time the shock wave goes through it, it's can't be a good thing.

8. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I felt the same, until I got back in the habit of being thrown about the room again. I've found that generally speaking "slapping" is a reasonable way to ensure you spread the impact over a larger surface area.

However, I am basing this on Break-falls from Judo style shoulder throws, this mechanic may not work some other landings.

9. Dean Winchester

Depends on the ryu-ha, system etc. Judo style break falling is really awkward for me because my system does ukemi differently due to certain aspects of it.

It does sound odd though maybe JamesR has his wrist at a wonky angle on impact.

10. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Not really? I just slap the mat like anyone does? It's just over and over and over again time after time, it HAS to send a shock through my wrist and it must be doing something negative?

I dunno, just wondering if anyone else had anything similar

11. Dean Winchester

Ah I get you now, sorry.

It's the constant repetition?

12. Osu,

What sort of pain is it?
    Could it be some sort of bruise from repeated slapping?
    In that case, take a 10 days rest from further slapping and it should sort itself out. :)

OSu!

13. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

This really does not seem good. You should be able to do breakfalls all day long and not have wrist pain. I suspect you are somehow not falling correctly. My advice would be to immeadiately stop practicing and talk to your instructor about what you are experiencing.

14. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

It's not while I'm there? I just noticed before that my left wrist had a slight bit of weakness and the some slight pain, it's not constant, but it's my left wrist so I presumed it was the slapping?

There are times then I fall REALLY hard and fast and that one breakfall does seem to hurt my wrist

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

16. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Yes, but when you land, the shock will start at your hand and go through your WRIST and up the forearm and so on. This is about the wrist?

17. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Right, I repetitive use injury cannot be apparent while you are in practice, but can hurt like the devil afterwards. Again, please check out your form. It sounds as if you might be leading with the blade or palm of your hand, instead of your arm, but of course, this is impossible to tell without seeing it.

Again…I cannot stress enough- please get your form checked (I teach falling in Hapkido).

18. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

I think I have mentioned it casually in the past, but it probably just sounded like I was moaning, but it's worrying, I don't want to be crippled with arthritis in my wrists or something when I'm 40 lol

19. renshi peter

renshi peter aussie..aussie..aussie..

i had a similar issue, and after watching a video of our class practicing, i noticed i was breakfalling with my hand slightly before my forearm in one particular throw. may i suggest you video the breakfall that causes the biggest problem, watch it repeatedly and see what you do different to the rest of your class. maybe show the video to your sensei and ask his opinion ?

20. renshi peter

renshi peter aussie..aussie..aussie..

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011