Wrist / Scaphoid / Kickboxing

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by jamief, May 14, 2008.

1. jamief

jamief New Member

Hi everyone - new poster here.

I fractured my scaphoid about 7 years ago, and although it healed I've always had limited mobility and sometimes a bit of stiff dull pain.

I went to Kickboxing for the first time on Monday and hurt my wrist a bit using the heavy bag (wasn't strapped up or anything). Pain isn't so bad today, and next class is on Monday.

I don't think I've seriously damaged my hand, more like a sprain, so I've bought wrist/hand wraps, and am going to see Doctor on Monday. If I wrap the hand up well and use some bag mitts (and take it easy) should I be alright for a class on Monday evening?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Build up your wrist well when wrapping. Use the bag gloves and only time will tell. You'll know if you can continue or not, if it starts hurting stop what you're doing. Listen to your body.
    It's possible that you just caught the bag wrong and the pain would be there even if you hadn't broken your wrist.

3. jamief

jamief New Member

Yeah - I am actually thinking today that the pain is maybe more in my joint than the "snuffbox" as in my previous fracture. I'll just take it easy and wrap the wrist well - possibly went a bit too hard on the bags during my first class.

In general, is wrapping your hands/wrists up before a class fine? I'm not sure how tight to do them - I presume to my hand/wrist are supported but still allowing wrist to flex?

4. Moi

It's up to you, depends if you drive to the gym as well. You'll be putting them on in a couple of minutes after a while so I wouldn't worry. Make sure they're long enough to give extra protection to your wrist.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e9VUq3jK7I"]Boxing Lessons for Beginners : Boxing handwraps - YouTube[/ame]

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I get similar problems in my wrist after a bad break many years ago. Start slow and build up the time/power on the bag and do as MD suggests and get some loooooooong wraps.

I use the semi-elasticated type and they seem to work well for me.

Mitch

6. jamief

jamief New Member

Thanks for the replies - I've ordered some non-elasticated wraps, will get some elasticated ones too and see how I get on! Thanks!

7. Moi

I've found they work best for that method I posted