Wrist Locks

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Korpy, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Since the start of this year, I have been going for and submitting people with wrist locks a lot. I use to disregard wrist locks as something silly and hard to get, but when I started setting them up correctly, they have now become a go to submission.

I usually hit them while my opponent is fighting out of a triangle choke, or I hit them from the sit up on an omoplata.

Does anyone hit wrist locks in rolling?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Back when I did BJJ I got the jokey nickname of "King of the Wristlocks" (for a few weeks) when I got a couple of people with them. :)
    I always got them off of a kimura/figure 4 grip on the arm and then slipping my hand down onto the back of the hand, tightening it all up again and goosenecking the wrist.

3. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

All the time. Something I inherited from prior jujutsu training. Even if you don't hit them, they're great to threaten the other guy and as set ups, and keep them reactive. The shodan/gooseneck/hyperflexion wrist lock (however you call it) is great from side control when the other guy is swimming in for the underhook or just to protect the top arm.

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

The kimura grip is a great set up!

I'll throw up a triangle on an opponent and put both my hands on the back on the hand that is in the triangle. I push their elbow into my leg or hip and apply pressure down. Almost always gets a tap.

Also, when I play around with the dead orchard position, I can hit the wrist lock easy from there as well.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hit them a lot in sparring (and live) and will also use them as "extra spicy" seasoning on conventional submission - they are a quick easy go to from closed guard, but you have to use them sparingly as once people know you are looking for them they shut down your set ups

6. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Depending on an opponent's broadness (shoulders/chest), I find the dead orchard an awesome place to hit the wrist lock. Last tournament I did, I fought a 195lber who was gigantic. I was able to hit the dead orchard (though it was tough) and start working on a wrist lock. I almost submitted him with it too, but being so sweaty, he was able to slip out of position.

7. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Starting from the knees, wristlocks are great setups for takedowns/passes. From side control, they're a good setup for shoulder locks / straight armbars and vice versa.

8. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I could pull them in regular rolling in class. I always liked using kotegaeshi on the ground when people would keep their arms tight to my body in the guard to avoid armbars. It made people a little more nervous in a position where they otherwise felt safe.

But for actual use I find that sweat combined with power (and the possiblity of adrenaline) in live scenarios make wrist locks very difficult to pull off to the point where I could realistically use it to disable the wrist. Fingers, sure. Shoulders, elbows, absolutely. But I always find the leverage is too short, the wrist is too strong, and people are often too sweaty.

9. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

I love to use wrist locks as they're something that was used extensively in other things I've studied. For me they aren't something I normally shoot for directly, but are 'option B' if I am going for something else and it gets defended. The only one I tend to jump directly for is a variation of nikyo if I end up in turtle and my opponent goes for one-on-one control of my far side wrist.

10. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

The only place I consistently finish with them (on semi-decent opposition) is the carny/far-leg-hook-omoplata. Other than that they're distractions and opportunity techniques for me, rather than a core part of the game.

11. Hannibal

Some food for thought :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uidHY-HcY9M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uidHY-HcY9M[/ame]

12. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

On the first two - reverse kg and nikyo - it's a better idea to drop the elbow instead bring the hand up imo. Opponents can easily resist the latter by stiff arming downwards - a natural reaction to you trying to force their hand up. Also I'd pin their hand from the start on the nikyo otherwise they're just going to let go off your wrist.

13. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I use them frequently in rolling to remove grips. Even a deep cross lapel grip tends to come unstuck with the outside wrist lock and it disrupts your opponent enough to give you an opportunity to pass

I find in rolling that opportunities to fully apply a wrist lock present themselves from time to time, but, like Hannibal, I find if people are used to you doing them then they frustrate your set ups

I use forearm twists/pressure quite frequently too

Generally speaking I think that wrist locks are most appropriate when wearing a gi and using strikes to set them up

14. Hannibal

I hit Z-arm/S-Arm lock from inside my guard with pretty reasonable frequency, but these days more as a set up for something else rather than as a sub

I did land it last week having said that..... :)

15. BJJ Nation

BJJ Nation Valued Member

I love wrist locks. I don't actively look for them but wind up hitting them a lot when I roll. I'm definitely a top player and use a lot of pressure. A lot of people get frustrated when they get stuck in side control for awhile and will make a mistake and post their hand on your body. That's usually how I hit it. I definitely don't think wrist locks are silly, most people immediately recognize the damage that could have been done if they didn't tap.

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Lately now I have been hitting some from a mounted armbar position, from the back and also from side control.

17. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Recently I've found that applying the outside rotation wrist lock (kote-gaeshi in Aikido, omote-gyaku in Bujinkan) works wonders against scissor sweeps

I also have been using hyper flexing wrist locks (take-ori in Bujinkan, tekubi gatame in Aikido) to disrupt my opponent's game when I'm defending with good results

18. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

so you're saying that all my aikido training wasn't actually a waste of time? whoa.

lol. i'm being facetious. i loved aikido.