wrist injury in last nights class

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by baederp, Jul 23, 2005.

1. baederp

baederp New Member

I was teaching HKD last night and one of my female students had a freaky wrist sprain.

We were doing a technique that we call a "Screwdriver". I don't know the Korean name for this technique. It is similiar to a outward wrist throw, Kote-Goshi (Japanese) but it has a lower center of gravity, the grab is applied differently and is more of a wrist break than a throw.

She was working with a much larger, stronger adult male when the accident happened. But the accident did not happen during the execution of the technique. The man simple rotated his palm upward from her straight hand grab attack, took his other hand and sandwiched her hand between his. The twist of the technique hadn't even begun yet when we heard a low sounding "POP". It wasn't the sound of a break (thankfully).

We wrapped it and iced it and watched for swelling (none). Later that night, she had it X-ray'd and it was only a sprain, not a break.

I always tell my students that accidents can and do happen, but that was weird.

2. Hapkidoin P

Hapkidoin P Valued Member

Ouch. I hope she's OK.

That technique is a tight one,though. A little "zip" and it's done. I first learned this varient with pushing the attackers elbow right at their stomach after you had the lock..kind of "screwing" the elbow into them..add a little insult to injury.

3. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

Hmmm..Well I have seen this a few time's and usually when someone who's alot older,bigger and stronger face's someone who's alot weaker and smaller they tend to not know their own strength. Hmmm I don't think pressure was a problem. Sometime's my wrist does the same thing...Turn's out im double jointed and most of my bone's pop in and out alot. This might be the case?

4. baederp

baederp New Member

Thanks

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

That's painful.

I hope she's not sour about it. Like you told them accidents happen.

6. BSR

BSR Valued Member

My wrists and elbows tend to pop a lot. It's funny to see the look on people's faces when they're doing a technique on me and all the sudden they hear a pop. They suddenly fear that they've broken my wrist or something, but I don't feel a thing.

7. baederp

baederp New Member

That is also what the Dr. said. There will be freak accidents from time to time. Incidentally, the Dr. said that I did everything correctly from warming up the wrist to icing and wrapping the injury :)