Wrist breaking grip

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DrunkenMasterBE, Mar 24, 2014.

1. DrunkenMasterBE

DrunkenMasterBE Valued Member

My question is if you train alot on grip/forearm strenght etc. would you be able to crush a bone with your grip?

2. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

No is the answer, Better spending your time working on your basics and fitness. Nothing wrong with working on grip strength for grappling but breaking bones with your grip, honestly...

Personally do alot of kettle bell work which helps no end and catchs with a loose low free weight for my grip.

3. DrunkenMasterBE

Or if you can get hold of your enemys neck will a really strong grip do lethal damage?

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Getting hold of the neck is more a control mechanism.

If you have the head, you have the body.

5. DrunkenMasterBE

Sorry i mean the throat

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Edit: @ OP. It would probably take you 10 years of intense and strict grip/wrist training to achieve anywhere close to that level of strength in your hands :p

I don't know man, I think it's possible. Have you seen the strong man competitions? Those guys train their grip like crazy, and I bet they could snap my wrist/hand bones with no problem. I don't think you would be able to snap an arm or leg bone or anything, but you could definitely crack some wrist/hand/fingers with the monster grip they have.

It's probably not an ability you're going to get from doing martial arts though, but rather intense physical training in the weight room. There's a whole subculture in the weightlifting world on grip/hand strength.

These are the types of guys I'm talking about:

Attached Files:

7. DrunkenMasterBE

In my eyes if someone gets hold of your hand or wrist and just breaks it the fight is over and MOST of the guys will run away in fear

8. Ero-Sennin

If you have the physical ability to do something like that, your simple presence and size will probably deter any conflict from happening.

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Hah. agree that I would not want to be on the end of their grip but very sceptical about acually holding hard enough to break bones..

Subjective anyway as I am sure the OP is no wear near their level in mass/strength and should look at grip training as part of their grappling/close training but leave notions like bone crushing to Hollywood.

10. Ero-Sennin

Well, the #4 CoC gripper is 365 lbs to close and the guys I posted up above can do reps like it was nothing with them. I probably couldn't even budge the #4. I imagine my hand would probably break if 365lbs were placed on top of it while my hand was bladed like in a hand shake. They could probably bring you to your knees on a hand shake. :p

It's certainly a far fetched idea and totally not something worth pursuing, lol. The guys I posted a photo of train their grip to pick up and hold insane amounts of weight, not to try and crush bones. You could always just take steroids though, I hear those will help you crush bones to dust. :p

11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

agree with your point if the hand is bladed i.e. handshake with the bones fused tight it will hurt enough to drop an opponent into kneeling position but bone crushing nah.

Still wouldn't want to spill his pint, sounds like the start of a very bad night...

12. Ero-Sennin

If anything, his (the photo) grip is powerful enough to pick up and wield something very heavy like it's something very light, and then smash the bones in your face with it. :p

13. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Which is why I don't pick arguements at power lifting competitions :)

14. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Only five people in the world have officially closed it, and none of them repped it like it was nothing.

15. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I was close to touching the 2.5 I think it is? 237.5 lbs. but my knuckles started to hurt from doing it so much lol.

@ OP, you would be able to break the fingers with a handshake type quicker than breaking the wrist because as soon as you were to grab my wrist, if you couldn't break it real fast the options to you being open for multiple strikes is endless. I'd give up on that idea if I were you.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

and they also coughed up part of their testies in the process :p

17. Ero-Sennin

Shutup! I'm trying to establish lore and legend.

18. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

There is actually a Chinese art with a name that translates as "Snapping of twigs".

The training for this art involves a lot of finger strengthening and snapping progressively larger twig's / branches.

The aim is to practice producing grip and leverage at a particular point. This is combined with a knowledge of bone setting / bone breaking to build up an understanding of weak areas in the skeleton which can be snapped / dislocated.

Obvious areas are the fingers or collarbone but their are many less obvious ones to do with the processes to which tendons attach - right at the back of the jaw for example.

Although I have not heard it described as such I would also suspect that many techniques would be aimed at striping the tendons from their attachment points.

I have never seen this art. my teacher says that he saw people training for this art in Hong Kong in the 70's.

19. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'm still laughing about this, more than 24 hours later.

Ah me...

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And now I'm chuckling. Sounds like the name of a favoured concubine.