Wrestling set-ups for leg attacks (video)

Discussion in 'MMA' started by callsignfuzzy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Since most folks here don't have an amateur wrestling background, myself included, I thought I'd share a video that runs through common set-ups of leg attacks that I found.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woCvye-BswQ"]Setup options for Wrestling Takedowns.flv - YouTube[/ame]

Most vital to me was the tidbit about using the outside step vs. forward pressure.

I've been working a lot on my set-ups lately; I'm getting older and have never been particularly fast, but I've got pretty good clinch control. I find that, unsurprisingly, technique helps overcome a physical deficit, at least as long as the other guy isn't familiar with the techniques, either.

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Before you can achieve your clinching in "combat" environmanet. more "set up" will be needed to enter your opponent's kicking range, and then enter his punching range,

There are more than 30 different ways to attack your opponent's leading leg. By using both hands is only one of the many different methods.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  3. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

No duh. That's why the title is "wrestling set-ups for leg attacks" and not "every possible permutation of attacking the opponent's legs".

And in most "combat" environments, you're going to be in the clinch when things kick off anyway. Most bar fights kick off at conversation range (arms length or closer). Ambush attacks don't happen from across the room, either. Really, only in sport fighting do you have to cross that distance, and given that most competitors are trying to get close enough to do any damage, you'll almost always see a clinch of some sort. In fact, I can't remember an MMA match (the context under which I'm posting this) that wasn't ended in the first minute by a single punch or kick, where the clinch didn't occur.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

There are many differet "wrestling" styles in the world. But if you just want to discuss western wrestling only, that's fine to. It's your thread. ;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012