wrestling is the best base!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by icefield, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Unified Rules = favor wrestlers.

Pride Rules = less favorable.

I don't want to get into the argument that's been going on for the last five years on Sherdog.

But you know where I stand. And I think the rules need to be changed.

That is all.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Well thanks for clarifying your position

Personally I can’t see the point of making a blanket statement like that then saying you cant be bothered to back it up when questioned, still thanks for posting

3. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Top control is given unilateral favoritism across all judges REGARDLESS of matchup, regardless of whether the guy on the bottom has world-class BJJ or a guard game.

Top control is given higher scoring criteria as "octagon control," even if the guy on top does little to no damage.

Takedowns are scored tremendously, we can see from every UFC that rounds are won/lost sometimes (often) SOLELY based on who gets the most takedowns, disregarding effective striking or damage, and disregarding submission attempts.

Submission attempts are seen as "fail-to-finish" (unless they get the sub of course) and basically disregarded in terms of points COMPARED to getting a takedown and then doing nothing with it, or being on top and doing zero damage.

I have no problems with guys doing GnP (like Fedor, Jon Jones, etc) but when you have people only going for takedowns to score points it's like abusing the system. I mean sure, I'll even admit they won but they won because of a ruleset.

Bring back yellow cards for stalling and not doing jack squat while on top.

4. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

That's actually a result of uneducated judges. The rules themselves, by rote, have no wrestling bias.

5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

One scoring criteria is "octagon control." This is extremely vague but it is fair and easy to interpret part of "octagon control" as being takedowns, no matter how ineffective the followup is.

6. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/sacb/docs/martial.html

Takedowns count, according the the rules. So do takedown defenses, advancing possition, threatening with subs, and creating opportunities to strike. As well:

But I suspect it's easier for a judge to see a takedown as opposed to a sub attempt or a guard pass. Educated judges following the exact guidelines would in no way favor wrestling (takedowns and top control) over striking or sub attempts.

The guy on top is usually winning, though. He's able to land the more effective strikes and advance position easier, plus he's determined where the fight goes.

7. Lee M

Lee M Valued Member

Its definately an advantage to have wrestling in college in the uk we don't have this.

You can pick up striking much faster which is why we see so many guys with wrestling backgrounds.

8. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

I'm the Head Coach at and Co-Owner of Leicester Mixed Martial Arts Academy which hosted the Kenny Johnson seminar.

Kenny is one of my favourite coaches and we are lucky to have him down when he is in the UK. He's already been over twice this year and will hopefully be back in a couple of months. I've learnt so much from him already and hope to continue to do so.

Agree with the comments about wrestling being the best base style for MMA. Yes, it is more so when fighting under the unified rules as pointed out above but was dominant even before that (both in modern MMA and earlier "mixed matches" pre-dating it).

Also agree that it's very sad that wrestling's rich history in the UK is neglected and it's in such a sorry state now.

Trying my best on that last point. I only teach Submission Grappling, not gi grappling, pass on what wrestling I know and run as many wrestling, nogi and submission grappling seminars as I can. Next up, I've got Billy Robinson down in September to teach a Catch Wrestling seminar, trying to bring this almost lost art back home :)

Nathan

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I have to say that there aren't that many people who wrestle or teach wrestling here in the UK and I would recommend Levo's club to anyone. I've been sending him people for a decade (although I bet he wouldn't know it :' )

Nice to see the home of catch wrestling starting to catch on and catch up heh heh!!

LFD

10. wushurichard

wushurichard Banned Banned

:p finaly you addmit it!! Rules help sporty styles to sucseed in ufc fighting.

No rules then gung fu or ninjutsur will take the ufc gold evreyday.

WRESTLERING IS A SPORT NOT A MARTIAL ART!!!!!

11. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

'wrestlering'... is that like falconry and/or trout tickling?

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

ill be there looking forward to it :)

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Dick" they tried that at the beginning and got annihilated - or had you forgot that "Dick"?

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

does anyone take this guy seriously

out of interest heres one of his first posts

?

he has either had a major head injury or is trying to sound like a chinese guy typing in english.....

15. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

IMO the wushurichard that posts here is a curious breed of parasite troll who likes to operate using a stolen identity for the purposes of annoying others and tarnishing the already poor reputation of his 'host' - the 'real' wushurichard.

The videos belong to the real WR and the posts belong to the troll.

The actual WR seems like a harmless manchild who while being totally deluded and misguided in the Martial arts - and one of the cheesiest van dam fanboys in existence - is basically just having fun and indulging himself in his hermetic fantasy realm.

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Is his name Richard? :evil:

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Possibly....:evil: