Wrestling, is it a martial art?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Chr9is, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

I personally do consider it to be a martial art. what about you guys?

2. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

(martial) Is it warlike? combative? (art) Does it have technique or strategy?

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yes, wrestling is a martial art. Only the muppets who think boxing isn't a martial art consider it otherwise

4. karate P.belt 2

karate P.belt 2 New Member

see I have a little trouble thinking of wrestling and kickboxing as martial arts, mainly the art part but I could see it

5. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

What kinda wrestling are we talking about here?

WWE or "real" wrestling?

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Care to tell us why? To be honest, I'm with Martial One on this. Granted, there's no pseudo-philosphy attached, but they teach you combative skills and and there's strategy and thought involved. Sounds pretty much like a martial art to me

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Define "real" wrestling...

:D

(sorry, just had to ask it...)

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What makes karate "artistic" where kickboxing isn't?

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'm with Slindsay on this one - I think the "art" in martial arts refers to an acquired skill, like the 'art' of carpentry, rather than art in the sense of ballet etc

So, since wrestling means acquiring skills to use in combat, it's a martial art.

10. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I guess people think that because kickboxing doesn't have katas, belt colors, etc it isn't a martial art.

:confused:

I consider wrestling to be a martial art...even the WWE part, strange as it seems. Those guys work their butts off, and the drama could be equated with some of the pomp and circumstance us TMA guys add on to the techniques.

When I'm in kickboxing training it's every bit as intense as our TKD, minus the philosophy stuff which has been Americanized to be non-offensive to the point that I doubt it resembles the "real" thing anyway.

11. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

WHAT? how on earth could u NOT view kickboxing as an art?

I view wrestling as.......an art i suppose.....i consider it watered down grappling.

12. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

would you say that if wrestlers/kickboxers wore silk uniforms with colored sashes, bowed, and called their coaches sifu/sensei?

13. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Nope.

14. Ricree101

Ricree101 Valued Member

Plan on giving a reason for that opinion?

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Sure to an extent, its not an art that could kill someone except maybe a broken neck, but I could see it as one, yea.

16. gray fox

gray fox Valued Member

If Greco/roman wrestling was developed in Asia it would be fill of tradition and philosophy,belts and great grand masters. It would be no doubt that the masses would consider it a martial art. Just like if Karate was develped in a western country it would be viewed as a combat sport.

The call thing is that in most Asian culture any aqquired skill is consided an art, cooking, fighting, teaching ect.

17. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

Wrestling was the first Martial art ever, it was The First Form of combat. I don't see how you could think its not a martial art?

18. karate P.belt 2

I said I could see it but when I think of wrestling I think "oh a sport" I don't think of it as a martial art because I think of martial arts as more gracefull and a big part of what makes karate like an art for me is the kata I don't care bout the uniforms and the belts and such I just want it to seem like an art to me when I "wrestle" (not in a class or anything) I don't think of it as an art I just think of it as fighting but when I do karate or jujitsu or something I see all the grace and the movments and I'm able to think of it as an art like when I draw a picture it's art, it has grace I'm not just scribling I'm making strong strokes and gracefull at the same time otherwise all my lines would be jagged and you wouldn't be able to see what the picture was when I look at wrestling I don't see any grace I see the strength but not the technique.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

so we've established that doing someone elses premeditated movements in succession into the air is artistic to you, but wrestling isnt?

if you don't see any technique in wrestling, you're blind.

Jujitsu is an art with much emphisis on ground fighting.

what about BJJ? do u see art in that? sambo? greco? judo? jjj? Muay Thai?

make up your mind, you said "i see the strength, but no the technique, noth the strength" do you see it or not?

20. karate P.belt 2

that is what we call a typo yes I know it is an art I just don't see it at firstit takes me a bit to see it and yes I do see the art in BJJ sambo greco judo jjj Muay Thai and all that you are making it quite obvious you don't have any idea what I'm saying