Wrestling DVD's dealing specifically with reversals/take down defense?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by AAAhmed46, Oct 14, 2007.

1. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Anyone got any titles to throw out here that have DVD's dealing solely on defensive aspects of wrestling?

This is for a friend of mine, he has tons of dvd's on take downs, but noted that while wrestling dvds teach take down defense, not many have DVD's solely on reversals and defensive wrestling.

He owns frank shamrocks DVD on defensive wrestling(or whatever it's called) But didn't like it.

Any other titles out there?

2. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

The ones I have:

Mark Hatmaker, "ABC's of NHB" (vol2-takedowns): the first tape covers the double-leg & its variations, but the second tape is all about double-leg defense, including subs. Pretty in-depth, but limited in it's scope.

Mark Hatmaker, "The Complete Grappler": This one's a bit costly, but is about as in-depth as you'll get from a single series. I'd say it's about 65:45 offense-defense, and includes takedowns (including the clinch), turns, rides, pins, and a few subs. Basically, wrestling with the option of submissions, which are de-emphasized for this volume. Also comes with a workbook.

Mike Van Arsdale/Kevin Jackson, "Ultimate Takedowns: Wrestling for Mixed Martial Arts": on takedowns only, but include two volumes on TD defense.

Though I haven't looked it up, I suspect there are several volumes that are marketed towards wrestlers only. Try to find a wrestling website, when I bought my wrestling shoes I saw ads for wrestling tapes I hadn't seen in your MMA/martial arts e-stores.

Also, I know you asked for tapes, but "Winning Wrestling Moves" by Mark Mysnyk is an excellent text, and includes loads of wrestling moves. Honestly, I'd be surprised if a wrestling move exists that's not in that book. Has defense from all possitions.

3. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Thanks.

4. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

This is mostly for MMA.

Most of the training in my school(he's one of the instructors) is either stand up, or on the ground.

The take down aspect is a bit lacking.

It's not that is isn't there, just simply it could be better than it is right now.

He would much rather stand, and to keep standing(me too) great wrestling skills are needed.

Thus, he's been focusing on that, and wants to bring more of it(wrestling) into the curriculum.

5. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

Not to get off the topic, but you are not going to gain any useful skill in those areas from videos. Better to spend the same energy finding a good grappling instructor and working hard, often, and realistically.

6. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Yeah thats probably the best option.

If i get a car, ill probably do that. I think he's looking for someone as well for the school.

Right now, it isn't horrible, just under emphasized. The head coach knows his stuff. But the curriculem is(most of the time, not always) striking or ground.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  7. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Thanks for the input.