wrestling dropped from the Olympics ?!?!

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by axelb, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

By all means, drop Greco-Roman (bit of a pun there I think). However Freestyle wrestling is the simplest sport in the world. "Pin your opponents shoulders to the ground to win,". Easy!

Equestarianismjism is boring, dry, and very dull. And also very very elitest, it's not a sport where anybody can participate.

“I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.” Socrates

On ZEUS DAMMIT!

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

They only watch it because it is on TV - no one watches wrestling because it isn't

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy and its a joke

3. Hannibal

Yeah because it's not as if any other sports in the Olympics are corrupt or anything........ :rolleyes:

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

so you're saying that because you see many trampoline injuries and there's trampoline clubs in swindon, that trampolining is bigger worldwide than basketball? that's a pretty big stretch.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Merged.
    I didn't notice that someone had started a thread in the wrong sub-forum. Sorry about that! :hat:

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Every single wrestling match was televised here. Indeed coverage of the Olympics was unfailingly excellent.
    People watch equestrianism because they like equestrianism.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Who knows, maybe now that wrestling is take out of the olympics we will see a positive change in the judo rules.

Oh my gosh I hope this happens!

8. Ben Gash CLF

Where did my reply to Giovanni go?

9. Ben Gash CLF

I was thinking that, it renders many of the recent rule changes (or at least the stated reasons for said rule changes) pointless.
    Also what effect will it have on wrestling?

10. Ben Gash CLF

Lots of working class people ride, indeed if you listen to some of the post event interviews some of them are far from social elites.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

emphasis mine.

Most of them are very upper middle class/aristocratic. It is no coincidence that two members of the British royal family are equestrian olympians.

Also - I don't consider anything a sport when the animal does most of the work.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn. Straight.

13. Hannibal

Where? It wasn't on any channels I was watching and I was IN London for the games period this time

14. Ben Gash CLF

They put on extra channels for the Olympics, BBC Olympics 1-9 and HD counterparts. TBF they didn't advertise them well enough as plenty of people didn't seem to realise until halfway through.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The thing is though...should the Olympics reflect what is popular or what is long standing, traditional and "sporting"?
    Wrestling just seems like it should be part of the olympics like running, jumping, swimming, throwing stuff and hitting each other.
    It's a primal activity.

16. Hannibal

So non on regular digital then? Like I said there was barely a mention of ANY combat sports in the two weeks I was there

17. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

You could watch most of it on regular digital tv iirc, i didn't have a problem tuning into the judo or the sailing (can't say i tried to watch the wrestling)

18. Ben Gash CLF

As it was BBC I assumed it was on freeview, I don't know anyone who complained they couldn't see it.
    I watched both types of wrestling, Judo and TKD on them.
    The beach volleyball marathons were the best though :D

19. Ben Gash CLF

However, so are many of our Olympians. One of the worrying statistics from the olympics was the disproportionate number of privately educated medal winners on team GB. It's a wider issue for access to sport in general, probably coupled with the massive drain football has on working class male athletes.

20. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

meh!

To be honest I am tired of the Olympics ruining sports either by causing weird rule changes or getting people so hyped up that they will do almost anything to win (including damaging themselves with whatever happens to be popular for this generation).

The wrestling at the games was not very good to watch. The new rules about who started in which position during the match were stupid as they encouraged stalling from whomever had top position first. Frankly I couldn't be bothered to sit through much. I must say that Olympic judo wasn't any better. I stopped watching TKD after that guy beat the stuffing out of the ref in Beijing :' S.

Don't really care anymore about an event that seems to ruin sports. As FOD said... give the krotty guys a chance to shoot themselves in the foot and see where that goes. I also think that the wu shu offerring of yet another dance competition is another waste...

Somebody point me in the direction of the weight room :' P

LFD