Wrestling & Dance

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Panzerhaust, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

I'm really hoping my school gets a wrestling team next year. We're the on high-school in the city not to have one :mad: If we do get one, I'm SO joining. My jujitsu reflexes of choking and using guard may be a pain tho. Even one year of high-school wrestling would definitely help with my take-downs, which sorely need work.

I've started focusing more on neck strength and bridging. Any other conditioning I should really focus on for wrestling specifically? I got a copy of Lessons in Wrestling and Physical Culture by Martin "farmer" Burns and will follow the workouts therein as well as studying the holds as they MAY come in handy :rolleyes:. No triangle chokes this time :eek:

I'm also going to take dance (yeah yeah, call me a fairy :hat:) for the leg/core strength and flexibility (oh and the chicks :evil:). If I'm working on it for martial arts anyways I may as well get a credit for it.

I'm hoping I'll be tanked (& skillin) if I can do dance for a semester and wrestling all year. Any tips you guys could offer would be great. :cool:

2. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

If your smart enough to take dance for both the chix and the core strength, and you forgot cardio. I think your smart enought to figure things out yourself.

Any real tips will come from your wrestling coach and teammates.

3. SouthWind

SouthWind New Member

definately do it. I don't understand why, but wrestling does have better takedowns then jiu jitsu and judo it seems, even though the principles are the same.

4. Panzerhaust

3 words

lack
    of
    gi

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You can dance in a gi:rolleyes:

6. Panzerhaust

:bang::confused::rolleyes:

7. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

I'm actually with both of you on this one, although the zhoo zheetsu guys apparently dance no-gi.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH31NDIlFIM"]YouTube[/ame]

The original poster, however, will probably have the gi vs. no-gi dancing issue simply answered by the instructor.

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd prefer no-Gi dancing :happy:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xD8H_-fqk[/ame]

Got to be the 2nd best use of a boxing ring ever:evil:

I think taking dance is a great idea. Not just for the cross-overs of balance etc: it's just one of those life skills that you'll never regret having.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  9. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Particularly if you're male, you'll get drooled over by women if you can dance well. Never be short of partners either.

10. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

My father-in-law was a wrestling coach and said two of his best guys ever were two brothers who were forced into ballet at a young age by their mother (until they rebelled and went out for the wrestling team).

He always says, "I tell you, there is something to that ballet!"

:)

Of course they could just have been two brothers who were naturally gifted athletes.