Wrestling and Hapkido - complementary?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by rudai123, Mar 12, 2014.

1. rudai123

rudai123 New Member

Hello, I've been taking Hapkido for about 2 years and have a collegiate/folkstyle wrestling background (with a smattering of other martial arts including Krav Maga and traditional Karate)
    We often do a drill called "sticky hands" where 2 opponents try to use various standing wrist type locks against each other. There is flow from one move to another, and seems to be a good learning drill.

My question is that I find wrestling (upper body throws/trips only) more effective in taking a person down (not subduing) than your typical Hapkido style wrist locks. Obviously, I have much more experience in wrestling than Hapkido, but wonder if I should blend the two styles together to get a better result.

Thanks

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Wrist locks are a bit iffy tbh. Perfectly good technique if you can make it work for you, however singles, doubles, whizzers and all those kinds of techniques are more "high percentage" than wrist locks. Added to that the fact that you wrestle with an opponent who is resisting where-as wrist locks generally are practiced cooperatively.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Your Wrestling skills are far superior when it comes to putting people off there feet and onto there ass than anything you'll learn in Hapkido, is that really so surprising ?

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Wrestling is compatible with everything

5. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

In my experience people with wrestling backgrounds do great in Hapkido.

Your experience is not suprising, since Hapkido joint locking techniques do not well in clinch fighting, which is why most hapkido styles also contain judo-like sweeps and throws. I think the joint locking techniques are best best used against intimidation, or anger fueled (unskilled) grabs like someone trying to push you against a wall, or grabbing your lapel. These situations do occur in actual self defense situations as precursors to full on fights.

In my opinion, most hapkido instructors over emphasis standing joint-locks to the exclusion of sweeps, throws, and strikes.

Once a confrontation escalates to a higher level of force, you would need to move to the sweeps, throws, and strikes that Hapkido also contains. IMO non-compliant practice is important to learn what techniques NOT to use in certain situations, and what techniques are most appropriate for a given situation. Techniques like outer wrist locks are just not made for using in a clinch.

Also consider that Hapkido techniques are best used after striking your opponent, but this is difficult to train with. In grappling sparring your opponent is using a higher level of force than in an intimidation type grab - so you would basically need your partner to give you some sort of "feed" like an angry collar grab, and then allow himself to be hit while resisting your lock.

In our dojang, we allow both partners to use hard strikes to the body during non-compliant drills while opponents clinch and then attempt locks, and we find that we use mostly sweeps or unbalancing type techniques, with standing joint-locks being much lower probability on fully resisting partners. However, they do still occur.

So, to answer your question, yes combine the two - but sometimes refrain from using wrestling techniques in drills in order to work on the standing locks that you are less comfortable with.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  6. klaasb

klaasb ....

Yes, when your system is not compatible with wrestling you know you are in trouble ;-)

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I would say "yes" in a big way. I think Hapkido is normally a well rounded art that works well in most situations, especially in the lower level of force situations. The striking is good (as long you do sparring to reinforce it).

The main area where I see Hapkido could use some 'augmenting' is in the ground range. Wrestling or BJJ would really help to improve that area (especially if you spar in wrestling/BJJ).

How do you feel about it so far?

8. wmks shogun

wmks shogun Valued Member

I feel that wrestling absolutely compliments Hapkido. Many of the standard take downs in wrestling tend to be good, no nonsense skill. Additionally the wrist- and shoulder-locks and throws augment wrestling's take downs well. What many people forget though about hapkido is that the strikes help to set up the throws and locks. I wrestled for 12 years growing up, then in college moved to eastern martial arts (started with a year of Karate and Japanese Jujutsu, then switched to Tae Kwon Do as my primary style for the past 14 years or so, with a smattering of other arts as well). I took up Hapkido a few years ago and am on the cusp of my black belt test. Having a background in wrestling allows for a greater chance of openings for joint locks as a wrestler is often more comfortable in close quarters and with leverage than average Joe off the street taking Hapkido for the first time. (duh!). Just my two cents worth.