Wraps ?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Skinneh, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Skinneh

Skinneh Skinny Theif Ninja Spy

Do you guys use wrist wraps? Where I train, Ive noticed about 8 of the guys who use them, one guy who doesnt, and me ( I dont because I dont have any :eek: )

Sofar I havnt had a problem with my wrists, but today we went hard, I was hitting the bag hard. Also the guy was holding those pad thingys ( im new forgive me ) and just as I would hit him, he would push into the punch. My wrists are a bit sore now. I asked the guy who I was training with ( he is the one guy who doesnt wear them wraps ) and he said " dont use them because you will get too used to haveing them, and you will build more strength without them"

Now I havnt asked the teacher yet, that and I dont get paid till tuesday ( too much christmas shopping ) but what do you guys beleive? Sofar im doing ok without them, but im getting used to the movments ... and I am starting to put alot more into my punches and kicks. ( more then before because I was unsure I was doing them properly )

So yah.. wraps or no wraps? Sometimes? Never? All the time? :Angel:

2. zun

zun New Member

Wraps protect your wrist, knuckles and to an extent fingers.

I wear them all the time when sparring or on the bag. Wraps are only a couple of pounds here. I recommend you wear them all the time.

3. totality

totality New Member

what he said.

wear them all the time....ALL THE TIME, particularly when you're grocery shopping, so you can take on any ninjas that attack you :D

4. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Not a kickboxer, but...

I only where them when seriouly hitting the bag, Or sparring with my cuz.

5. Skinneh

Skinneh Skinny Theif Ninja Spy

That is the best idea I have ever heard. Who knows when ninjas might come out of the milk fridge's and attack, or which displays they are hiding behind. I wear them around the house yet no one dares to challange me !!

( btw I got a pair and sofar they are great :D, and they are yellow which means - crazy, super crazy, crazy speed, crazy ? )

6. zun

zun New Member

LOL! I'm typing with my wraps on right now! :D

7. Kainn K

Kainn K New Member

I got a question for you. What are the differences between wraps, and which do I want? I've seen standard hand wraps, and then "Mexican Style" hand wraps, and all these varieties. Which would be best for a beginner? And where could I find a Kickboxing/Boxing Gym(?) in Mesa, Arizona? I've looked through the phone book and online, but I can't find one.

Thank you for any answers

8. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Wraps come in different lengths

usually from about 9-15 ft.

The longer they are the better protection they will give you. Smaller wraps are good for smaller hands.

"Mexican style" wraps have some elasticity too them. So they can give you a snugger fit and stay in place better.

Different people prefer different types of wraps.

I would recommend avoiding the short ones though. Go 12 - 15 feet, mexican style or not is personal preference though.

Best bet is to join a gym and ask the coach if he has a preference as to what kind you wear.

9. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I have never used wraps in my life. I'm more of a tape man.:)

10. totality

totality New Member

wraps are lovely. unfortunately, mine are somewhat bloody...ick. it's dry though, and about a year old.

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You know that you can wash them, right Totality?

12. totality

totality New Member

well...yes. but do you think i actually have the cognitive capacity to operate a sink?

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

That would explain the smell...the metal thing is called a tap, you turn the top of it and water comes out. :p

14. totality

totality New Member

thank you, i'll go do it right now. or i'll just refrain from doing it until i get some new wraps! mwahahah!

this is kind of turning into a completely useless thread, thanks to me...anytime, folks! :D

15. Deep

Deep New Member

I intially bought my wraps when I was working my speed bag. I never liked the feel of gloves. These days I wear them wheenever I ma doing serious bag work. I found they give support for my wrist and hands so I'm not nearly as sore. Also the last time I pushed my luck I strained something in my hand. Slowed me down for about two weeks. Anything that can help prevent an ijury is your bestest friend.

16. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Nope, I don't use wraps. I used to put them on for fun and pretend I was Sonny Chiba though..:D:D:D