Wow! Respect to this man..

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Nojon, May 15, 2009.

1. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

3. Kraen

Kraen Valued Member

That's what. :p

-Kraen

4. Nojon

Yea, but besides that...the where are the warriors thread reminded of this incident..again, respect to that man!

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Some people are definitely cut out for soldiering. Being killed by an IED strikes me as a particularly terrible way to go.

I'm just curious what is it that throws this up there for big respect?

Is it that he reupped after all those years?

Or was it that he was doing what he thought was his duty to his country?

Or both?

Or was it that he was one of those that managed to die doing what he apparently loved?

6. Nojon

Well, if you have to ask..I have nothing further to add.

7. slipthejab

Oh get over yourself already. Did you expect me to just rush in and gush adulation all over? Pffffffffft.

If you can't handle people asking questions then form a forum of 1.:rolleyes:

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Sounds like a boy band. You got some secrets, slip?

9. slipthejab

... if only I was at liberty to divulge... :p

10. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I'm with you slip, I don't get it either.
    Unless it's that he gave his all for the big American oil companies.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Good find Nojon.

12. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

This man deserves respect for his dedication to his country, his will power and self discipline for getting into such good shape at such an old age, and his 'warrior spirit' that sent him through the Vietnam war, into the War on Terror and eventually caused him to die in combat.

:star::star::star::star::star:

Hats off to this chap.

And if you've noticed this, physon, this is an example of a real warrior. :|

13. slipthejab

On a point like this I'm curious... would someone who was a conscientious objector (in either of the two wars) garner the same amount of respect from you?

Would someone who steadfastly questioned the reasons and the logic for either war garner the same amount of respect?

Or is that respect only reserved for those who rush to join up or fight when their politicians decide that war is the answer?

Yes this is commendable. In an age when many people in that age group are going downhill fast or settling into the twilight of their years.

Do you (we) know what his background was in Vietnam? Was he a front line fighter or something like a LRP? Or was he a back office paper shuffler or chauffering the upper ranks to and from offices?

Would it matter if he was one and not the other? Would you give one of them more respect than the other?

Is that the one that was predicated on 9/11 yet we the same war that sent us to Iraq even though Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11?

The very same war that we found massive stockpiles of WMD's?

Was that the same war that made the whole world safer and the western world less prone to terrorist attacks? I mean after all we know that Sadaam was the leading source behind world wide terrorism right? His entire regime which is so at adds with the American ideals of freedom and liberty was shoring up terrorist outfits left right and center. I mean jeez... Americans would never work hand in hand with a guy like that right?:rolleyes:

I'm genuinely curious if you had seriously thought out why you were heaping accolades on this guy and bleeding red, white and blue.

I'm not knocking the guy. I don't know all that much about him... but just like I asked the OP I'm asking you.... have you actually ever asked yourself why you have the beliefs you do?

14. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

I'm not sure what you mean. From reading the article, I see an old man who served his country during the Vietnam war and later on, after learning about 9/11 wanted to serve again. Impressively, he got in shape for the army at the age of 57 and eventually gave his life in service.

I find that impressive.

15. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

The guy was devastated by the loss of his wife, decided to go back to doing something he loved (he was a photographer as well) and died (which he knew was a risk, and a more acceptable risk to him after being widowed). I have respect for him but it stops short of adulation.

His Nam service

Major Hutchison, who lived in Scottsdale, Arizona, had previously served two tours in Vietnam from 1968 to 1970 as a member of the famed 101st Airborne Division and won a Bronze Star and a Meritorious Service Medal.

Iraq

‘He hadn’t been drafted and he didn’t have to go, and he chose that he felt he could serve and make a difference,’ said US Army spokesman Lt Colonel Nathan Banks.

The major had been training Iraqi army and police units but his mission had recently changed and he found himself defending Iraq’s southern borders.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...hison-oldest-U-S-soldier-die-Iraq-age-60.html

So not a REMF, and I was a REMF for a lot of my time in, what's wrong with REMFs?