WOW just WOW!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El-Guapo, May 22, 2008.

1. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

hey,
    look at this video, this is a 22 year old guy curling 50 lbs dumbbels
    I just cant understand why he is not buff and not even muscular but can curl this weight
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FM1z6sUMB0"]me curling 50 lb. dumbells - YouTube[/ame]

any thoughts
    ?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Meh . . . I'm not nearly as strong as that kid (not in curls at least), but let's see what else he can do:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyEcF1ZlSrM"]one finger chin ups (2 total fingers) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_stMfuQSg"]20 better chin ups - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8HfqrH_vRM"]CoC grip progress # 2 - YouTube[/ame]

His pull strength is excellent and his grip strength is good.

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

The kid's obviously very strong for his size. It's not unheard of. I met a guy in Ireland a few months ago who, IIRC, weighs less than 73kg, is somewhere between 5'6" - 5'8", but can easily squat 140kg for reps and has deadlifted 250kg.

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Easy answer for his lack of size.... Diet!

His metabolism is probably through the roof but his diet is just not enough to support building muscle mass.

Kid is ****-strong I'll give him that!

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh i was going to say it must be his diet!

6. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Part of it is that his nutrition does not support his muscular growth and another factor is his natural strength level could be high ehough that these weights do not cause the overload neccesary to promote growth. When I first learned to balance a bar, I could bench 315 and squat 400 at a bodyweight of 160. I was also severely overtrained in my cardio as I thought that was the key to being a great fighter and was running 6-10 miles a day 6-7 days a week. After a two months of cutting back the cardio and consistant lifting, I was benching over 400 and doing 500 lbs squats for reps at a bodyweight of 190.

With the addition of good nutrition and two years of training I was weighing over 240 @ about 7-8% bodyfat and could bench over 500 and squat over 700. My point is that some people are genetically just really strong naturally and it takes a lot of weight and intensity to cause our muscles to really grow. Though this is a blessing, it also has a downside. Years later, though I have done full squats with over 800 lbs and benched close to 600 raw (no suit), I am also now recovering from surgeries on my knee and shoulder from all those years of heavy lifting. For someone like me, I NEED very heavy weights to build and maintain my muscle mass, but the joints don't like it.

7. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

hey,
    thanks yohan I watched these vids and the guy is strong he doesnt even look like heis 22?!?

thanks for you comments guys
    cheers

8. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

He might be very Type II dominant. They have outrageous metabolisms. They are very lean but strong. They don't gain weight easily without very high intensity training and absolutely incredible amounts of food. If he wants to get big he needs deep pockets.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  9. GIJoe6186

GIJoe6186 Valued Member

It has nothing to do with him being Type II or anyother Type dominant.

Strength is not an indication of size and size is not an indicator of strength.

Building muscle and building strength, while related, are not the same thing. Strength relies much more on the nervous system. Muscles firing properly and efficiently are strong. Thats why you have tiny guys who are strong.

10. Hyung

Hyung Valued Member

that's why the strongest guys are not always the most muscular ones... it's a mix between metabolism, genetics, diet, type of training (intensity vs powerlifting) and patterns of rest between exercise periods.

11. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

He needs to learn how to breathe before he has an aneurysm

12. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

my arms are pretty equal but i cant pull of more then 19 kg though (roughly 42 lb) :(

13. Hyung

Hyung Valued Member

Breathing in weight training is important. But is not rocket science, you know? Try to inhale in the negative phase of the exercise (muscle relaxation), and to exhale in the positive phase of the exercise (muscle contraction).

Only if you are kiddin'..... because, you don't get aneurysm with weight training. Aneurisms maybe congenital causes (as in a A/V malformation), in some collagen genetical disease (Ehlers-Danlos and Marfan syndromes), or secondary to chronic hypertensive vascular disease.

14. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

... it was a synonym for a popped blood vessel... which is what people say when they look like they are stressing too much. Haha, wow. How did I know that someone on this site was gonna take that way too seriously and try to correct me? Medical version of the grammar police.

[​IMG]

And breathing correctly IS a hard thing to learn.

15. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Well, not entirely.

Nervous system changes account for almost all of the improvement seen in people beginning a lifting regimen, but after a certain point in their training the curve switches to depend much more on hypertrophy. That's why strength gains are experienced quite quickly early on in strength training, but slow gradually as training progresses.

So, strength does rely a great deal on nervous coordination, but gradually more and more muscle hypertrophy is needed to increase strength further, until even that reaches a limit (genetic potential).