Would your style be able to compete with Ju Jitsu?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Shuto uchi, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shuto uchi

Shuto uchi New Member

I have a friend at work who trains in Ju Jitsu, he seems to think that Karate styles are a joke saying Grapplers always win the pay per view events. I study ****o Ryu and I think our style could compete well with Ju Jitsu, let's here your comments.

2. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Here we go.

Well I think the best way to find out would be to watch the events themselves. Ask your friend to show you royce vs minoki uchihara and ron van clief. Then watch the "gracie in action" tapes. Those all show jujitsu vs karate in no rules matches.

In addition, here is a bjjist vs a 1st dan in shotokan karate:

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?s=&name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=14

Draw your own conclusions.

3. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

Just watch UFC. Let's just say it's not always the grapplers winning now.The strikers seem to be making a comeback Even a wrestler I was watching it with said they seemed to have the upper hand.

4. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Nowadays both grappling and striking skills are neccesary to compete.

But one thing remains certain: Place a pure grappler against a pure striker and 999 out of 1000 times the grappler will win.

5. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

It depends on the practitioner on the style of the art like striker vs. grappler, I like grappling and all(mosty BJJ) but I think a striking practitoner would win and in some striking arts they teach grappling.

6. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

you have to remember that a striker trains to strike and not to grapple that is why when a grappler takes a striker down, the striker is now a fish out of water

7. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I have 17 years experience of Karate and Kickboxing, but took up Ju Jitsu around 6 months ago...

It takes your grappler opponent a second to close the gap and start to grapple. That gives you one, maybe two, chances to get in a sufficiently devastating strike to finish the fight. Miss that opportunity and suddenly you're lost at sea in the mysterious world of grappling...

So, if you want to compete against grapplers or grapplers/strikers, you need to be VERY good at consistently delivering powerful finishing blows. Otherwise I'm afraid you're at a major disadvantage. If you can't gain godlike striking abilites, the alternatives are
    a) live with the fact that your art does not cover every eventuality
    b) take a grappling style as well as Karate

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  8. Posiview

Posiview New Member

Why does the karate guy close the gap? I thought as a karate practicioner he'd keep his distance so he could use kicks and punches.

9. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

Our style of karate, has Jujitsu in it...we don't learn all of JuJitsu but at a higher level you do learn some.

10. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Odd, because karate and jiujitsu are DIFFERENT ARTS.

11. ranger

ranger New Member

ofcors. karate also has defense against any other art.

12. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

All available evidence would suggest that's not true.

13. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

We practice a lot of grappling as well as striking in my karate style. As my sensei often says 'real fighting is grappling not boxing' so we have defense against it :eek:

14. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Are you sure what you're doing is karate? It doesn't sound like any karate i've ever heard of.

Not that that's BAD, mind you.

15. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

This is the age old question: It has been proven time and time again that it is not the art but the practicioner that makes or breaks the situation. Simply put each of the styles in competing with each other need a set up or opportunity to occur.

The grappler needs to get hold of the striker, the striker needs to access the grappler. So you see the answer is not what style is better but which participant.........by the way........pay per view events have rules so once again a sporting event really isnt telling the truth of the arts. If anyone really thinks that pay per view events are not planned scheduled and set up to simply make money then you need to double check the TV guide. Interesting that these events fit into the time frame eh? I'm not saying there rigged but the combatants are chosen much in the same manner as WWF.

Mike O'leary

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  16. FIST_of_LEGEND

FIST_of_LEGEND New Member

sure it's karate

Besides grappling Technique, there also anti-grappling technique against the opponent to make him not using the grappling and concentrate in the strickes technique.

As long there is up grading in the ju jitsu schools, there also the same thing for karate

17. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

This is all true. BUT. It still remains that 999 times out of 1000 a pure grappler will beat a pure striker.

Not all of them do. The ones that have rules are the minimum rules to keep the sport legal.
    It's certainly a lot more realistic of a test than point sparring.

DAHHUR, I did not know that! Proffesional fighters fighting for money? Imagine that.

WHAT?! The wwf chooses it's performers on the basis of showmanship and ability to execute complicated but useless moves (much like a forms competition).

The ufc chooses it's fighters based on their previous matches.

18. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

ur friends a bit arrogant, isn't he? i'd like to show introduce him to my hook punch once in a while...but seriously, he shouldn't be so stereotypical. the winner is the one with greater skill, not the better art. i think yoda touched on this..."i would is a lot different from i have"

BTW, the reason grappling is so popular is because they have fake fighters duke it out on tv. karate is real fighting. wwe wrestlers is just soap opera for men. not to degrade jiu-jitsu. just your friend. :Angel:

19. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

You must be right...after all the fights you talk of the promoters dont care if nobody watches do they.. they dont care about showmanship at all... whats a few hundred thousand dollars in promotion fees....nope, doesnt matter at all....

Its a business............ its not about who is the toughest..its about who brings in the money.... as to grapplers taking a striker down ....... where did you get your facts?

Once again.. it is not the style but the stylist......

Mike O'leary

20. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Go call mark coleman a fake fighter. I dare you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.