Would you trust an instructor that...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheCount, Jan 4, 2008.

1. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Can't spell, has no concept of grammar, punctuation and seems unable of reading?

I'm just interested what peoples opinions are, I emailed one and he displayed all the above attributes.

2. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Trust him to do what?
    Write an international bestseller or educate your children?
    Probably not.
    Be able to teach you a martial art competently?
    I don't see why not.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Wot he sed ^^^^y wud it matur

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

why not. if s/he can't clearly commnicate ideas verbally, that could be problematic, however.

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Yep. One of my instructors is dyslexic.

Extremely intelligent person, competent Martial Artist and an ingenuitive instructor.

6. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

Is he a native speaker of the language in which you are communicating? If, say, he's Korean and you want to study Tae Kwon Do, this may just be par for the course.

7. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I dont think you should judge him on that.

I mean you havent even met the guy yet, and i take it you dont know much about him at all so just go see for yourself in person, might be the nicest guy you meet and a great martial artist.

I can understand how you might think twice about it, as its easy to think the worst about someone who you aint met before.

8. RoninCelt

RoninCelt Valued Member

Apples and oranges. Literacy and martial skill--even the art of teaching the art--are just plain different things. The best guy I ever studied with (for any length of time) used very colloquial, antiquated syntax in his speech. Never saw him read or write, so wouldn't know, but can't imagine it would be better. But I do know I wouldn't want to be the one to tell him that. :p Heck of a nice guy, though (until he put his game face on).

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

You could help him with his grammar and he could help you with your training !!!

bit like me and my computer skills really !!!

Smurf
    :D :D

10. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I would have thought for a rather Dynastic martial art like CMA the instructor (born and bred english) who is teaching would be able to type a legible email.

Seems a bit odd, damn cheap lessons though :p

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I would worry more if a teacher who was teaching me English had a poor grasp of English than someone who is teaching me a martial art.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Perhaps he's not too hot in the maths department as well :rolleyes:

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Allow me to repeat myself...

Can s/he effectively communicate with you in person and make you understand the concepts which you are being taught?

That's all that matters. My Kung Fu instructor had a learning disability and I can't tell you how many times I had to edit the damn student handbook. But he could commmunicate face-to-face quite effectively (whether I agreed or not is another issue, lol).

14. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh! you could get free training if you offer to teach him to read and write! :D

I see a new MA film script in this!

15. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I'd echo everone else here. Is your main purpose in going to him to get a history lesson in the art or do you want to learn to fight? I'm pretty sure many of the Thai boxers aren't that articulate in English. It doesn't stop people from making the trek to go train with them. Can you learn from the guy is the main question.

16. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Morihiro Saito taught a great deal through sign language. he was one of the finest budoka in Japan.
    Jo Bloggs can convince you he can walk on water. He is a muppet.
    Assess by what he can do not by what he says.

regards koyo

17. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

Is this just from one sample of his/her writing?

If so perhaps the instructor was intoxicated or very very tired when writing. I say this because I've answered important emails drunk before :Angel:

18. Doowstados

Doowstados New Member

Both my Tae Kwon Do and my Kendo instructors couldn't read or write well, and had small problems speaking english, however they were EXTREMELY competent in their craft, and taught very well.

19. ember

ember Valued Member

^^^ What he said.

20. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Did he teach you the word 'ingenuitive' by any chance?! :D

:D :D :D LOL

BTW, what everyone else said, but not in large red eye-strain-inducing letters.