Would you take the future?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by nzric, Oct 13, 2005.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Ok, you find a lamp in a garage sale, rub it and a genie pops out. He says:

"I'm a teleporting genie. I can grant your wish to teleport forward in time as far as you want - ten years, a hundred years, a thousand, a million years...

"When you are teleported, you'll have the form and the lifestyle of the average citizen of that time - whatever that may be.

"There are two rules: First, I can't tell you anything about what kind of future you can expect. Second, you can never return."

So, would you take up the offer? Why/why not? If you would, how far into the future would you go?

2. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

No. Who wants to be an average citizen anywhere.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

no, because an average citizen of this day and age is a half starved african who has to walk 10 miles every morning to get water from a filthy well. I doubt its much better in the future.

4. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Ok, what about if you would become the socio-economic equivalent that you are now

(e.g. if you're lifestyle is in the top 9% of the world at the moment, you'd be in the top 9% of whatever it'll be like in the future).

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

hmm, na. i predict in 50 years everything will be like mad max. and while i have played both fallout 1 and 2, i dont want to get dumped into it without having stockpiled anything

6. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Hahah

Im kinda hoping the future will be like Final Fantasy... just so i have an excuse to carry a huge sword and fight in endless "random encounters"

back to the topic though. I'd go into the future, i've always had that sence of adventure

7. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

i'd go about 500 years in the future, hopefully they'll have lightsabers by then :D

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you do realise star wars happened a long time ago right, might be better off going back in time :D

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

And give up my job as a Topic Moderator? I don't think so! :D

10. xen

xen insanity by design

if you'd asked that question 18months ago i'd have said yes; why? because back then i was looking for someting to do with my life...i'd have gone 100yrs in the future because i often use line, 'in 100 years in the future, we'll all be dead' to put things in perspective, it'd be nice to prove myself wrong...OR i'd have gone 994 years forward so I could celebrate another millenium :D

but you asked now and the answers no, because in the last 18months i've found something to do with my life....

11. Ricree101

Ricree101 Valued Member

Only if you can also teleport far, far away at the same time.

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Come on Aki, your just in it for the money!

I don't think mankind will exist in 500 years. Maybe not even 100 years. I'd go back to 1985 though!

13. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I'd so pawn the lamp.

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Nah, I like my life the way it is.

15. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i'd rather go back in time, to before i was born if its ok.

:)

16. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm currently doing it without the aid of a silly magic lamp. Sure, I'm doing it very very slowly, but I'm taking all my friends and family with me!

On a related note, I just watched a program on Discovery channel that predicted that our galaxy will crash / merge with Andromeda in about 3 billion years (if I heard it right). So just you be careful guys - don't get carried away and go too far forward. ;-)

17. FormatC

FormatC Valued Member

well, just like CosmicFish I am travelling to the future :)

and what is really to be gained? most likely it would be "ooh" and "ahh" with all the apparent differences in teh world, but at the end of the day you would still just "be". Being is an experience limitless in itself, in this day and age. having said that, I might - if the genie caught me on a day I was feeling especially frisky - choose to go forward 300,000 years or so. heh.

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

But if you went forward 300,000 years and the world was annihilated, would you be gone also???

I'd want to go back like 10 mil years and see the dinosaurs and see all those critters that are extinct now.

19. SixthVictim117

SixthVictim117 New Member

I would definitely go to the future...maybe 200-500 years or so. I wonder how advanced technology will be then :rolleyes: ....maybe mankind will have colonized another planet by then :D .

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

LMAO!!! You're not supposed to mention the money!!! :p And why would you go back to 1985 :confused: Save a few bands the music was crap, the food was worse, Ghostbusters sucked and the fasion was sooooooooo bad. And I don't even care about fasion.

Now I'd go see andromida crash into the Milkyway. Then we'd have a Milankydromiwayda :D That has to be worth seeing.