would martial arts help you in prison?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tooksomechin_na, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You can be racist/bigoted/xenophobic/anti-gay/whatever, as long as you keep it yourself and act in a professional manner in a professional setting.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

...and that's often how people become less prejudiced: by spending time with people they thought could be generalised as a group.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm aware of that.
    In one of "my" clubs we have a guy who trains with everyone the same and is always nice - yet I learned, his basement is dedicated to Hitler, picture of him, swastika and whatnot (I only heard about it; I have never been there and will never go there).

It doesn't say, how she (or somebody else for that matter) can be sure to treat all the same though.
    Because most people can't do that.
    Most people can't even say "Hello" in a normal way to somebody they don't like.

For example: I have a kid in one of my classes, who's very annoying. It's not as bad as disliking said kid, but class wents smoother without it.
    So, I make a point for myself to remember that it's just a kid and doesn't know better.
    Therefore I make sure to say something positive it when it comes up, aside from rebuking most of the time.

Works the other way around as well: There are a few kids I really do like, so I make sure to rebuke them regularly as well, as soon as I notice something. And with them there is enough to notice either.

Edit: @David Harrison : You ninja'd me there.
    Nice addition as well, indeed!

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Being annoying is not the same as being gay or black though. Being annoying is a personality trait (although sometimes medical ADHD or similar). If someone needs to be kept in check because of their attitude then treat them differently.

Mangosteen likes this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

Archibald and philosoraptor like this.
  6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Well, since I'm not not racist or having problems with someone being gay, that's the only remote example I have.

And it shows, what was more my point, that in case you have a problem with some, you might have to aware of it, to actually treat them fair anyway.

And my case is only a kids that misbehaves; it's not that I have a problem with it, because is it a kid - in that case, I shouldn't be teaching kids, because chances are they or others notice I have a problem with them, because of they are.

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. Pretty In Pink

This post is hard to understand. Could you try again please? I know English isn't your first language and normally your posts are excellent but I'm just struggling this one time ^^

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I understand her point!

9. Pretty In Pink

In that case I'm actually just an idiot, please spell it out for me :p

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

What a weird tangent to run off to on a thread about potential violence in prison.

Southpaw535 and Dead_pool like this.
  11. Dead_pool

Just feeding a baby, give me a few minutes!

12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I try again :oops:

What I was trying to say was the following: I knew, my example wasn't the most fitting.
    But I am neither racist nor homophobic or anything, so I can't say anything about that from my own experience.
    Therefore I took the closest I have.

And I was wondering the following: If I have to actively remind myself, that I should say something good to a misbehaving kid (obviously the moments, when it's not misbehaving), how other people do that, if they have a problem with someone not because of something they are doing actively wrong, but just because they are *insert gay/ black/ octopus*
    It's not that this is something you can stop doing; only hiding, which I find horrible, if they are forced to do so.

As in: The kid is acting childish, big deal. It's a kid.
    My problem in that time is, that it is behaving annoyingly, not that it's a kid.
    If my problem were to be the kid being a kid, I shouldn't be teaching kids.

Kids notice when you have a problem with them or dislike them or whatever; they might not necessarily understand it, but they notice something is off.
    My Mom is an (now dry) alcoholic my entire life; but even in Kindergarten I would notice right away, that she had drunk (woah; I have a horrible "I killed grammar here"-feeling. sorry) - I didn't understand back then what was wrong, but I knew here eyes were "weird" (come on, I was tiny ;) ).

Grown-ups might not have that misconception, if they feel treated differently.
    Now, I'm not saying that every gay/ black person/ octopus who is disliked for something, is disliked for being gay/ black/ an octopus - maybe they're just idiots.

But in cases where they are essentially disliked - I wonder how these instructors make sure, not to let these prejudices come through?

So... wall of text, sorry.
    But at least understandable? :oops:

@Dead_pool : They baby can eat later; first and foremost you have to be my interpreter :mad::cool:

;):p

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Dead_pool

For the good of mine, and my neighbours hearing.... You'll have to come second for a few more months! :)

^ so yea, what I think she said, is that people who dislike other groups, may think they can hide it, but they often can't. So just by thinking that, they're being unprofessional.

I hope I got that right, I'm operating on a very low amount of sleep right now!

axelb, Mangosteen and Pretty In Pink like this.
  14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I will count these months though! :p

Hope, they baby is doing well. Lots of people seem to get sick at the moment.

Well, you used less words.
    Much less.

But yes, that was part of it.

The other part was, that I would really be interested in how they can be so sure about it.
    (And no, only having said students, isn't necessarily proof. The teacher of some of my teachers was... let's say not very nice. At all. But he was an asset in his arts and therefore people stayed. Admittedly though: I doubt most people are that good, to keep people despite major differences)

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

This is true, people are only human, teacher aren't perfect (very often they're worse then the average actually, they get to used to people thinking they know everything, and step outside they're relm of competence) but it's always a disappointment to find out.

Eddie bravo is a prime example in the BJJ world, there's not a conspiracy theory around that he hasn't believed in.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  16. Pretty In Pink

I think I'm following your point, although I think maybe your analogy isn't the best. Your Hitler loving friend. If he meets a Jew and he is perfectly polite to that person on a professional level then that's all that should matter. Disdain is always fairly obvious in my opinion.

axelb likes this.
  17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

First off (I'm not offended, but I point it out anyway): That person is not my friend.
    We know each other from training and I get along well with him (at the Dojo and surroundings race/ politics or anything the like are not welcome; not this kind anyway. We do talk about everydays politic at times), but I've never seen him outside of that context.

Aside from that, yes, if can do that that's okay.
    EDIT: I also think he would need to be polite and the such on a certain personal basis as well. They don't need to become best friends, but I were to know that he starts rallies to hunt Jews, that would be a problem again (for me).
    I don't think he does, at least not in a way, that could be proven right away; it's a general statement.

But I still say: Most people can't do that.
    I've met people having trouble with me due to me being... well, me, and they couldn't hide it.
    One of them thought I acted it and wouldn't even great me unless I did first (and yes, I was an a$$, and kept saying "Hello" every time, just to annoy).

Most people having problems with gays will make them notice that in one way or another (as I have read from gays); and I still would like to know, how those that claim they don't are so sure.
    Nothing more.
    Does that exist? - Yes.
    Would I like to know how they do it or how they can be so sure - Yes.

Not for me.
    I need pointer a lot.

So when I noticed two people couldn't handle my... "condition" it was a sign (for me) that they really were having that problem.
    With one I get along now (the one who thought I was acting it; I'm damaged enough that she now believes it), so other is gone and I'm glad for that.

I still wonder, especially with the second one, what would have happened if she kept coming to training and would have kept talking big to me.
    I think over the time, one of us would have needed to go, and in my experience it's not the "victim" to those talks that's gets to stay.

Now, I am aware: Me being a psycho is different to being gay or belonging to a certain race.
    But it makes me wonder anyway.

Pretty In Pink and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

How do you guys even know if people you train with are gay or straight. I literally have no idea with any of my training partners or some good friends. It's not necessary to our relationship.

Heck I think most the Internet is still pondering Dead_pool gender - most these society derived labels really doesn't matter in most interactions .

axelb likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

Its no secret, I'm a pescatarian.!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Mangosteen, axelb and Hannibal like this.
  20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I she wanted you to know he would tell you what gender Ze likes to call Zirself

Travess, axelb and Dead_pool like this.