Would like some DSLR advice.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Vimtoforblood, May 20, 2009.

1. Afternoon,

There are a number of threads on here re: DSLR cameras, but many of them are pretty old.

Since technology moves rapidly I was hoping to get some updated help in finding an entry level/budget DSLR for a novice.

My budget would be around £500.

Wishlist features would be:
    1). good for macro shots
    2). will accept large range of lenses
    3). long battery life.

Having searched around a little the best option so far appears to be the Nikon D40.

Advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Past your basic functions... don't waste money on a super duper bells and whistles digital body. Put the money towards the quality glass that will be around long after whatever camera you get has blown its sensor or they have introduce a jazillion megapixel body. As long as the DSLR you are looking at does what you need you're fine. Both Nikon and Canon are major players and have extensive lines of glass to support their bodies for many years to come.

Bodies have a short life in the digital world. They fast become expensive paperweights. If you don't believe me go by any used camera shop and look at the number of outmoded DSLR bodies that are only 2 years old. In fact I have a few that sit right next to my medium format Mamiyas and my 4X5's and of course... the old workhorse... the Nikon F4 film cameras. :D

Get a DSLR that handles the basics (almost any will at this point in the game) and get a lens that you can use for macro shots if that's your thing. If you are new to cameras and shooting heavily then you could always save even further and get a third party lens. Many are superb... Tamron and Sigma make fine lenses that will suit your needs at a fraction of the price.

Be prepared to hear camera collector/tech geeks types tell you this and that and flap on about what is essentially brand worship. Pay it no mind. It's BS. No one looks at a shot printed in a mag and knows it was shot with what brand lens or what brand camera. As the old saying goes it's not the camera... not the brand.. but the skill of the photographer that counts. Don't play the name game.

If you're shooting macro... use some of the money you saved on body and lens on a decent tripod. Tripod - even most of the el cheapo ones will last a lifetime. But for ease of use get a great head. I have several Manfrotto heads and they offer some great options.

Also consider a flash head. Many options here as well. In general with flash and circuitry and camera interface being what they are... best to go with the same brand flash as the camera brand you are buying.

Also look into picking up a cable release... get tack sharp shots by manual focus, tripod always and cable release.

Enjoy. :)

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  3. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

The D40 has no built in motor, so you are limiting your self to lenses that have the motor built in and that will cost you a bit more for upgrading in the long run! Or if your happy to use manual focus then this is not an issue.

You could go down the canon route for the same money, other than that there are some good second hand bodies around if your willing to spend the time to look around.

4. slipthejab

Good point. Here is a good review of the body from a very credible site:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

5. d0ugbug

6. Thanks for the advice guys.

I like to research these things before delving in.
    I'd be more than willing to consider buying second hand.

Does the D70 require AFS/AFI lenses for autofocus?

I have been looking at the Canon 1000D vs. the Pentax K100D.

They both appear good cameras, at a reasonable price, with plenty of scope for upgrading lenses in future (both own and third party brands).

The Canon is a little more pricey. My concern over the Pentax is the battery life.
    It takes AA batteries. The last thing I want is to be ploughing through packs of batteries or running out of power just when you need to take some shots.

This has been a problem I've found with my rather old point and shoot digital camera. I know things have improved alot - and see that newer models (usually with built in batteries, where you plug the camera in to charge) appear to last infinitely longer.

So 2 main questions:
    - Would you say having AA batteries is a drawback?
    - What sort of battery life, in practice, do you find with these types of cameras?

I have the number of shots that can be taken with each... but if you were on a daytrip, let's say, and turned the camera on a number of times for stop off, took say 20 shots each time should there still be power left?

7. slipthejab

If you're not using the camer for extensive traveling to remote areas then not using AAA batteries isn't really a big deal. Even if you go with a camera that has a proprietary battery... I personally would always have a back up 2nd battery and charger.

If you're going to use a camera that has a AAA battery option... use rechargeable batteries. These days they are a good deal. Carry a spare set of fresh regular AAA batteries for anything super critical.

As well there are some great options for long life battery packs that fit just about any camera/model these days. Worth checking out. But unless you shoot as a job or are shooting every single day. I wouldn't worry about it. Get any battery because no matter what battery you have... you will need a spare set. It's the way life is. :p

8. d0ugbug

The D70 has a built in motor so you can use any lens you like with it. Battery life I never like AA its a bit like a compact! I find Li-ion does the job I get around 200-500 shots out of it depending on what features and how I use the camera. Spending another £40 to have a back up battery is well worth it I think you can recharge without any noticeable over time.

My wife has a D40 apart from the lens draw back its a very good camera, (used for work, so she was on a budget sadly) we are about to spend out on a 18-200 lens for it.

9. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

My brother is very into photography, so here's his 2 cents.
    He'd recommend the Nikon D5000 over the D40. It's a bit more expensive, but it has twice the megapixel count, and has a live-view LCD. He also suggests checking out Olympus cameras, especially E-620 and the E-520. Nikon has better noise reduction and a wider array of lenses, but Olympus has built in image stabilization and possibly better live-view technology.

10. Thanks guys.

What do you think about the Canon 300D?

It's getting on a bit in age now.

11. d0ugbug

Brilliant camera if you seen one go for it and spend the rest of your budget on a sigma or tamron lens

12. Having searched around a little I saw some pretty decent offers for the Canon EOS 1000. However, most of these have been discontinued.

I have decided to factor in dougbug and slip's advice and not go OTT on the camera itself (although I realise the EOS 1000D is hardly pushing the boat out for most people, and considered an entry level model). I have opted to narrow my search to a 300D and instead save the remainder of the cash put aside for accessories and future lens purchases (which I will be able to use again with any potential upgrades down the line).

Since the 300D was such a popular model there are a few bargains to be had by the look of it.

Will let you know what happens.

Cheers.

13. d0ugbug

There are a few 300D's on ebay with less than 6 hours left on there going for just over £100.00. Id also try and ditch the 18-55 (although a decent lens) and try and get a 18-200 or 28-200 has a decent wide angle and zoom that will keep you happy while you find your feet and will more than handle anything you can throw at it.

Later on id look at upgrading it but not for at least 6-12months you may not find you need anything until the type of photography changes an example would be low level lighting taking photos of martial art events ;)

14. yeah, I noticed one with a 35-80 lens. I thing I'd prefer an 18-55mm lens to start with (since I am a beginner).

15. d0ugbug

Yeah the 18-55 is a good lens and there are normally 100s of them on ebay on the go even a 17-80 would be another good starting point. You could always sell the lens you get with the camera off and use the money to fund a purchase of another.

They normally say with lenses to get 2 that can do the same job as a 1, that way there is no loss for wideangle or zoom. However *most* modern day lenses will do the job of both and means you dont have to switch lenses all the time or carry so many in a kit bag.

For example getting a cheap 18-55 and cheap 55-200 would be much better than getting a MK I 18-200. The next bit of kit you may want to consider is something like :

Camera & Lens
    Additional memory cards
    Large Bag
    Tripod

Check gumtree and adtrader as well.

16. Update:

Won a Canon 300D on ebay. At 7pm. Was not able to get back on comp till about 15 mins ago.

Got back online to receive message asking about postage and informing me invoice sent.

Also had message (sent after this) from seller requesting cancellation of transaction
    based on the fact that he has since received a much higher offer and that he expected immediate payment through paypal.

I think paying within 3 hours is pretty good going. Isn't it? I don't think everyone who buys on ebay will have the luxury of being able to pay instantly. I also do not think that it is right of someone to later accept a higher offer.

A little disappointed as quite like this camera and got it at a decent price.

I have declined the request to cancel but not sure what will happen.

Anyone had such an experience? Where do I stand?

17. d0ugbug

Bull to expect immediate payment id send the money and tell him tough, you winning is a legal contract if you win it he can not say sorry and sell onto someone else. Sounds like a total waster. Problem with things like this ebay will not give 2 hoots.

Tell him your willing to pay what you bought it for and that sending payment within 24 hours is more than acceptable. Worse case leave negative feedback on him

Does he have a high ebay score?

18. I agree about 24 hours being acceptable.

I have already messaged him stating that I am happy to pay asap but have not yet sent the money as I don't want to be doubly screwed over.

He has 100% rating (based on only 8 buyer ratings).

Yup, agree that this is one potential drawback of ebay. Easy enough to lose out as a seller too (people not sending payment etc.).

I'm annoyed because it just seems a bit greedy, and wrong basically.
    Will post what happens.

19. Right. He just phoned. Sorted.
    Should be posted next day :)
    Looking forward to learning the ropes and hope to post some examples of photos on the photography thread.

Cheers guys!

MAP - got to love it!