Would I?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Newbee, May 22, 2005.

1. Newbee

Newbee New Member

I've been doing alot of research on Muay Thai. And the more I look into it, the more its seems the that smaller, slimmer guys, are the ones who have more success. Im about 6'2'' about 210. Im not overweight, but Im not all slimmed up and abs of steal like alot of you out there. Because of my bulkier size will it make it difficult for me to advance much in Muay Thai.

2. RYO9

RYO9 New Member

Competetivly, maybe. In class, no. The thing you have to remember is that there are weight classes. and that eventually, if you are serious about this, you will become slimmer, faster and stronger. you will probably weigh the same but if you have great cardio your body fat % will go down. Plus, it's not a requirement of MT to have a six-pack, just to be solid enough to take a few hundred blows.

Mullins

3. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Nah you'll be right... my mate is doin MT with me, he's bout 5'10 and weighs roughly 90kgs (i think that's bout 180+pounds) anyway, he's still pretty quick and packs a fair bit of power in his attacks. So dont stress too much bout ur weight, everyone has a strength and a weakness, u might not be as fast, but u'll prob be more powerful (with practice of course)

4. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Well, the reason you tend to see small/slim guys is because Thais are an pretty ectomorphic race and they go crazy over massive cardio sessions. However if you look in K-1 you'll find there are quite a few heavy Europeans, like LeBanner and Cro Cop. But bigger is better, don't worry :cool:

5. K1Mike

K1Mike New Member

This myth about smaller and slimmer guys being better muay thai fighters is exactly that... just a myth. The taller you are, the bigger advantage you have. You're reach is better and your kicks can get higher, easier.

Look at Ernesto Hoost, Remy Bonjasky and Jerome LeBanner... arguably the three best kickboxers. I think the average height of those guys is about 6'2-6'3.

6. steven.bradbury

steven.bradbury bradders

im 6ft 1in and weighed 195lbs within a few months lost 7kgs doing thai.Now feel faster and stronger although before i was doing weights.learning to relax more helps you to perform better.

7. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

K1Mike is very, very correct. It is a myth.

You have to bear in mind that due to the aesthetics of the sport, the most popular weight classes for the sport are the smaller weight classes (130 lbs and below) because these fighters are FASTER!

To the Thai people, watching us westerners fighting is like watching an ox fight a water buffalo. This preference has followed the sport onto the international scene to a limited extent... thus the myth.