Would I Be Good At Boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Korpy, May 14, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

IT IS NOT A MCDOJO.

LET ME REPEAT.

IT IS NOT A MCDOJO.

I've checked the school, and it is a real school, and a good school and not a Mcdojo.

2. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Olympic TKD is not traditional TKD, but is still real all the same.
    ITF train traditional TKD.
    Most WTF schools I have seen train traditional TKD.
    If you wish to represent your country in the Olympics however, then you will train to the Olympic rule set. Not all WTF schools train for the Olympics, when are people going to realize this. I dont train under the WTF but just wanted to make that point.

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Rememberr this is about Boxing... Boxing. ;)

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

and MT.
    which should be your first choice.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

You think I should do Muay Thai?

What happened to Boxing? I like both I'm just wondering if I could do Muay Thai?

Also what about Kickboxing?

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I think you should do MT yes. MT encorperates Boxing as well. it is the most effective stand up art you can take. Muay Thai IS kickboxing.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

muay thai is a form of kickboxing yes. but you cant really compare it to something like american rules kickboxing. different attacks, different rules, different strategies. its like comparing kyokushin and tkd.

8. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

There's a Muay Thai place far from me.

I can take it when I'm 16 or 17.

Butfor now I can learn tid bits from books, watching Muay Thai fights, and ect.

Also from talking to the cool people (like you guys) here at MAP.

9. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Yes I know, I know, but as you have said, there are no boxing joints close to you, so it is a waste of time talking about boxing if it is not an option. ;) So far we have established that you have TKD or MT, if you were to ask for my honest opinion on what to take I would say MT. If that is not an option I would then advise you to do TKD.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

A choice between TKD and Muay Thai?

I say get to the Thai boxing gym now! :)

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I'm 14 so I am going to go to the TKD place, because it's my only option, plus I actually like TKD, especially all the kicks of it.

But when I turn 16 or 17 I will have a car and I will be able to drive far distances, so then I will be able to take Muay Thai.

Oh yeah I'm turning 15 in June, so I'm getting closer. :)

Also I know Muay Thai's techniques, but would anyone care to tell me more about Muay Thai.

Thanks all. :)

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Well I'm pretty happy at what I found.

There 2 places by me. 2 Muay Thai places by me.

There's one place in Robbins which is 27 minutes away from me. It's called
    Muay Tha Self Defence.

Then there's a place 1 hour, and 1 minute away from me in Streamwood, and it's called Midwest Training Center.

:)

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Also at Midwest Training Center, they teach Muay Thai, Brazillian Jiujitsu, and Mixed Martial Arts.

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

if you are positive they teach MMA. get off the computer and go there NOW! its the most well rounded art you can take.

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I'm not sure if I'm right for MMA. Honestly I don't even know MMA's techniques are.

But I think I would be good for Muay Thai.

Both of the schools seem good. And the one place is just 27 minutes away, and it's an all Muay Thai school.

Then the place that teaches Muay Thai and MMA, is 1 hour away.

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I found another school.

It's 49 minutes away from me and it's in Roselle.

It's run by a former UFC fighter, Kieth Hackney.

At the school they teach Mixed Martial Arts, Submission Fighting, Thai Kickboxing, and something called Vale Tudo.

17. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Obviously Tekkengod is a bit biased because he does MMA, but dont let that change your opinion too much. Ive done MMA and Boxing, and although ill agree with TG on saying it is a more well rounded art, i still didnt enjoy the lessons as much as i do boxing.

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Yeah, MMA seems awesome, but I'm just more partial to Muay Thai. It seems like more of an art for me. But someday I might try MMA. :)

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

you don't have to know the techniques. they'll TEACH you, thats the point of going :) and Vale Tudo is pretty much MMA with a diffrent name.
    like i said, do whats natural, if you want to do MT then great, go have fun, same with boxing, if you like it, do it. MTsounds like its for you, it gives all the freedom you could ask for in a stand up fight. and it incorperates boxing as well so thats a 2 for 1 in your case. MMA is awesome, addictive and extreamly well rounded. give it a shot, but for now, MT sounds like your thing.

Jamo2. why did you enjoy the boxing lessons more than MMA? was it the instructor, the flow of the class? or just not your thing?

20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

tekkengod thank you, Muay Thai is for me, I think it's just natural. But I will try to study MMA sometime.

But for now I'll do Muay Thai when I can.