Would I Be Good At Boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Korpy, May 14, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I wonder if I am good at boxing.

My friends say I'm better suited for Muay Thai or Kickboxing, because of my pretty fast kicks, and fast knees.

I'm 14 years old, 5'8, 157 lbs, medium muscle build (not big or small).

My one friend who is a boxer says I'm good at dancing around the ring, and I can throw some ok punches.

2. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

i cant really say.....some people are born with talent, and some aren't, u cannot judge someones skill by their build, i mean ive seen 300lb men do a perfect spin kick, and skinny kids who cant even tough their toes, the point of what im trying to say, is that you cannot judge how "good" someone would be at an MA buy comparing their build to the generally accept build of the MA(what am i saying?!?!?!?) Take Mike Tyson for example, he was alot shorter than most heavy weight boxers and look how great he was!!! well anyways, boxing is a good solid MA to begin with, it provides you with good punching skills, quickness, reflexes, and excellent conditioning, and i'd have to say that anybody, can box if they try hard enough....

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

All my friends say I'm suited for an MA like Kung Fu, Karate, TKD, ect. (by the way I am suppose to take TKD this summer)

But my friend who's a Boxer, said with practice I could be good.

4. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

test it out, and see how you like it, like i said, it will provide you with a solid foundation, and you could combine those skills with another MA such as a grappling art or an art like Tae Kwon Do to make you a good all around fighter

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

That's actually a very good idea. Thank you. :)

Even though I know alot about boxing, what are the key foundations? ARe punching and moving the only techniques?

6. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

well.....they teach you to punch,block,slip,counter,bob, weeve, yea, its alot more complex than to knuckleheads going at it in the ring, it is fast simple and effective. you learn several different combinations, how to read your opponents attack and how to counter, it all sounds easy but IT IS HARD!!!!Easy to learn, but difficult to master......and if technique isn't good enough, the fitness aspect of boxing should be enough

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

This is a good discussion.

I always thought Boxing was 2 guys just fighting.

I didn't know it is hard to master.

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Boxing is just natural for some people and others its just vexing. Boxing is 2 guys exchanging punches, its a big endurance match. its just not for me though, too bland, i hate the idea of bding limited to stand up and only being granted 2 out of 8 limbs. anyway, i would say go with what you feel more at home with, if you like throwing Knees and kicks as often or even more so than punches, then go with MT.

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Well I like Boxing.

But I feel sports like Kickboxing and Muay Thai fit me more.

Doesn't mean I'll never try Boxing.

10. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

there is more to it, than just to guys, pounding at eachother, it is truly a match of skill.....ppl think boxing is easy because it only involves punches, well try it out, and you'll see its no walk in the park

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I believe you. Your not gonna lie about something like that. I want to try Boxing alot now, but sadly not places around to do it. :eek:

12. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

oh....u could have mentioned that YOU FOOL!!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: , no im j/k :Angel: , well, muay thai is another good MA to start with aswell, but it depends on what ur looking for, check out the schools around you, and find one with a good instructor, and go with that, later on down the line, when u move away or whatever, u can find an MA that you've really been wanted to do, but were limited because there arent any schools around you now

13. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Well before you say its "not for you" maybe you should learn more about it.
    Its not just 2 guys exchanging punches whatsoever.
    Id say a boxing match is typically 30% actual fighting, 40% tactics 30% psychological. All the rest are just sub categories.

And like Shantari has already pointed out, its hard to tell a good boxer by his weight or size, through natural ability and how hard you are willing to train is the key.
    If you think your strength is in your kicks, then maybe you could apply that to footwork in boxing. Do whatever you enjoy mate.

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

With practice, anyone can be good - People learn at different speeds, but providing they put their all into it and take the training seriously; then they can excel.

The only way to find out is to give it a try; it's just a shame there's no boxing schools around your area.

Are there any Muay Thai schools around your area?

15. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Tekkengod I know Muay Thai is sometimes referred to as the art of 8 limbs but you do know you only have 4 limbs right? Though actually if you do have 8 limbs you would probably do pretty well; your freak appeal should be enough to get you on the K1 card :).

P.S. Boxing is not just an endurance match anymore than Thaiboxing is.

16. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

NO.
    How the hell would we know unless we saw you in action?
    Get in the ring, have a go and you will soon see.

17. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you everyone, for your input.

I'm gonna try it, I might be good.

And whoever said that if kicks are my strength that I could put them to use in Boxing.... that's a very good idea! :)

I know that kicks are my strength, but I didn't know I could put them to use like that in Boxing.

18. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i used to hate boxing cause i'd never done it and i didn't want to but then everyone suggested i do and i spent a week doing it at a local club, i know its much deeper than it comes across as. but i tried it and they train just as long and hard as we do in terms of conditioning. but other than that, it just isn't for me, i can't stand that being confined to stand up and then only allowed the use of 2 limbs, too boring, my punching is barely above average. i hated having to trade punches when i could have ended the whole damn affair with a shin kick or a few knees. but some people love boxing, and thats fine. but i just don't. MT and MMA is for me. allows me the freedom of all 8 limbs and lets me utilize my groundgame.

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

:rolleyes: haha, ok let me rephrase that, 4 limbs, and 8 striking surfaces. :D if only i h ad 8 limbs i'd be in k-1 instantly along with all the other freakshows and ex sumos.

20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Boxing seems pretty cool, I gotta try it.

But I can't find any Boxing places close to me.