Would i be considered a kickboxer?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by kungfufighter, May 30, 2005.

1. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

Well I'm working with a lot of boxing, and i like to use a lot of my kyokushin kicks i was taught, and i like to throw in a lot of knees and elbows, also some muay thai kicks. so would i be considered a kickboxer about now or would i just be a boxer with knees, elbows, and kicks?

2. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Well, usually to be considered a kickboxer, you need to know or train in kickboxing.. which you dont. But you said you know some mauy thai kicks, so call yourself what you want, who the hells going to stop you, or even care.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

can call yourself a purple monkey if t makes you feel better, but if you arent actually learning an art it wont make you that. its like carrying a toolbox around and calling yourself a mechanic.

4. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

ah, ok. Yea i don't wanna walk around saying i'm a kickboxer and not know anyhting.

5. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Hi kungfu fighter
    in my opinion you are more of a kickboxer than a lot of those people who are doing "kickaerobics" or those people who are doing "semi freestyle karate" and call it kickboxing, so yes why not.
    It all depends on your level of capability really.
    Really though you are playing with kickboxing concepts and respect to you for doing so.
    To really be a kickboxer you need to be sparring with kickboxers, training in a kickboxing environment too.
    Good luck Mate.

6. That doesn't have much relevance to anything really. He's more of a kickboxer than someone who does juso and says they're a kickboxer, so why not? (same principal). Just because he's more of a kickboxer than someone else who says he is, doesn't make him any more of a kickboxer :)

Nah - IMO, Useless, unfit, weak fat people who train at a gym are still kickboxers.

Can't disagree with that.

7. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

Theres that phrase again semi freestyle karate ( calling it'self kickboxing. )

Give it a rest there are many people on here who fight from freestyle clubs and can and do fight semi or full contact kickboxing as well as points. :bang:

So stop talking through it kickboxingideot because your starting to sound like one.

Freestyle is just a term which encompasses a variety of styles that have been pulled into a system.

So is a freestyle dancer not a dancer a person who does freetyle snow boarding not a snow boarder. of course they are.

Not wishing to make an assumption of what style you do based on your user name but if your style is kickboxing check the flipping history of where it orriginated.

With your continuos unfounded remarks it appears that you class anything that is not " thoroughbread" as bullshido. apart from your stupid statements your last thread held a valid point.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  8. TNT Tommy

TNT Tommy New Member

My opinion is you can't call yourself a kickboxer until you've had some sort of training.

a lot of guys brag and say "i'm a kickboxer, or I'm a boxer" and I'll ask them where they got their training and get more info. out of them to see if they are just bragging or not.

The braggers fumble for answers, the non-braggers are full of information.

My two cents,

:woo:

TNT Tommy
    part-time kickboxing instructor

9. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Good post TNT Tommy
    Yes youre right you do need some sort of training although i do think that kung fu figther is mroe of a kickboxer than someone who doesnt practise kickboixng but only claims to eb doign kickboxing.

Bograt

Was there any point at all in your post other than to create contention?
    If you kickbox then youre a kickboxer.
    If you stop after a point youre NOT!
    Stopping afetr a point is NOT kickboxing no matter how good you are.

And dont even try that "ill kick you in and show you that i am"
    Does that mean that a street figther can beat up a kickboxer = he has the right to be a kickboxer?
    NO
    No logic at all
    Now you get people like The Zuccala Brothers who can do both F/S Karate as well as FC , now they ARE kickboxers.

Pele Reid did Semi, did L-con, had one FC fight (against Lee Swaby) , Boxed Pro for brendan ingle, then fought K-1 (record of 1w-4L i believe, latest figth was a TKO win against simon dimitriou), he is a kickboxer.
    Other examples: The Klitschko brothers who switched to pro boxing. Chris McNeish from Mugendo,.... etc

Chris Mcneish did Semi , Lcon, FC and musical forms at one WAKO event and got medals in all 4!

Unfortunately , Semi points is NOT kickboxing.
    Nothing to stop you competing in semi as well as KB though. The same way there is nothign to stop you doing FC one day and Thai boxing the next: Modern day example: Fahad Maniar from leicester kickboxing gym.