Worlds rarest martial art styles

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hapuka, Apr 17, 2008.

1. crystos

crystos Valued Member

any and all African martial arts. llamb or senegalese wrestling and nuba wrestling etc .also a fighting style from down here in the Caribbean called ladja or damye,

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I've been told that Hao style tai chi is rare. Tseng Ge Nga Wa, (Tibetan Lion's Roar Kung Fu), in it's pure form is rare, though there's at least one school claiming to teach it in the states that I know of.

3. KMA

KMA Valued Member

Does any one know if there is a difference between Hap Kwon Do and Hap Ki Do? Maybe, Hap Kwon Do is rare.

4. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

Fist Of The North Star:D

5. jadedsoul

jadedsoul New Member

a lot of obscure names have been thrown up in this thread but im surprised no one has yet mentioned the birthplace of all martial arts - india.

almost all oriental martial arts are derived from the 2 ancient indian martial arts - vajramushthi and kalaripayitta.
    both of these were developed and practised by the hindu warrior caste called kshatriya . sometime in the 4th or 5th century a.d. an indian buddhist monk (buddhism originated in india) called boddhisatva took these arts to china (along with buddhism) where over the years they developed into shaolin kung fu and other art forms.

unfortunately both these martial arts are as good as extinct today. the reasons are many among them the fact that these arts are difficult to master and take a long time to become proficient in (10-12 years is the minimum). to learn them a student must leave home and family and reside with the master for the duration of the training. they are a way of life .
    these are not just about fighting but teach the student about the human body and its anatomy as well as medicine and healing apart from meditation. an experienced practioner of these arts is then a good ayurvedic(indian science of medicine) doctor too , knowledgeable in the various healing and medicinal properties of different herbs and capable of creating ayurvedic medicine from these herbs.
    the gurus of these arts are said to be capable of concentrating all their body's energy into the tip of their index finger and causing physical pain to an opponent from distance for a short period of time.but since the arts themselves are more or less extinct there are no more than a handful of practitioners left in remote corners of india.

6. itfnewzealand

itfnewzealand New Member

Hi, I've noticed the post about Kyuksul. I will be presenting a interview/article on Juche Kyuksul soon

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2012
  7. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Lobster style Kung fu, practiced by one or two people EVER (lobsters spray urine at their enemy)
    It's quite effective, it gets opponent very mad and they make mistakes etc

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Traditional Indian Pehlwani (although i've heard the persian version is rare too) or even Malla Yuddha is pretty rare.

Pehlwani absorbed many Malla Yuddha akhara (schools) and was in turn absorbed into catch, freestyle and greco.

Now it's really dependent on the village or region you train in India, the ruleset will vary.
    Most villages use the Freestyle ruleset but some teachers still know the subs and techniques but dont teach them. Guru Hanuman was one.

The Punjab style of Shastar Vidiya (literally 'Knowledge of the Sword/War/Combat') is dying too.
    Nihang Niddar Singh is keeping it alive and the unarmed component draws heavily from malla yuddha and "hooking" and "ripping" are a big part of it.

other styles of Shastar Vidiya from rajput kingdoms are almost non existent although the Publishers of Encyclopaedia of Indian Physical Culture may have a good idea of the various teacher still alive.

9. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi Hapuka,

my guess is that you could happily occupy yourself for years just tracking things down in our local neighbourhood. All of those pacific islands, and imagine New Guinea! Tribal groups that still regularly fight with each other - often using traditional weapons, seperated by crazy terrain. There would almost have to be dozens, if not hundreds, of fighting systems there.

paul

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yep and since making this thread I've found a few indigenous art forms right here in my backyard that my own ancestors practiced.

Mau Rakau - To bear a weapon.

Mau Rakau is the most well known indigenous art form in New Zealand and has been show cased in popular movies such as Whale Rider and Once Were Warriors. It also made its debut in the reality TV show that was aired in New Zealand known as Aotearoa O Toa.

The art form today is practiced all over New Zealand as well as overseas in locations such as England (London), Australia (Brisbane) and Hawaii.

http://www.maramara-totara.org.uk/

http://twttoa.wix.com/te-ao-maarama-mauraakau

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvYeG-trZ6s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvYeG-trZ6s[/ame]

Whawhai Mekemeke and Moto/Motora'a (Motoranga) - Indigenous Boxing.

Whawhai MekeMeke striking techniques were similar to what you would find in traditional Western Boxing. Striking with a clenched fist and hitting with the two big knuckles. Its not clear whether or not Whawhai Mekemeke was practiced as a sport (though this probably varied from community from community) but there is good evidence to presume that sparring was practiced, all strikes where aimed for the head. Practitioners of the art were observed to have practiced the art with their hands bound with cord (flax) similar to what you find other arts such as Muay Boran.

Motoranga striking techniques usually involved hitting with the side of the fist; back fist, hammer fist and knife hand to pressure points, preferably to the neck. Motoranga as a style on the other hand was not practiced in sparring, nor did it contain defensive techniques such as parrying. The emphasis on Motoranga appeared to be self defense. Older practitioners of the art have compared it to the Chinese martial art, Dim Mak. It also appears that forms (inspired by native wild life) where also practiced in this style.

http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/m...p?article=1149

Captain Cooks crew compared Whawhai Mekemeke and Motoranga to the Tongan indigenous art form of Boxing and Wrestling known as Pi'i tauva, which unfortunately died out during the late 19th century.

Whawhai Mekemeke today is practiced as Western Boxing under the Western Boxing rule set. Motoranga is no longer practiced or taught in New Zealand today as an official system.

Te Maumau/Ringa Ringa - Indigenous Wrestling.

Also goes by names of Whatoto, Nonoke, Mamau, Takaro Mamau and Takaro Ringa Ringa.

Was widely practiced throughout New Zealand up until the 20th century. In the 1950's Te MauMau was used as a competitive outlet for controlling aggression in the young men at some of the Marae's (community meeting halls) in the northern parts of North Island, but unfortunately due to the lack of popularity it died out in 1970's (although there is a good possibility of this art form making a comeback due to the increasing interest in Maori culture here in New Zealand - http://www.papatakaro.org.nz/)

Practitioners of the past were observed (by Pakeha/foreign settlers) to have practiced throwing techniques in shallow water to prevent injuries to their training partners from landing on hard ground. Here is a list of some of the techniques used in the art:

Ta - Contestants grip each other by arms; not a body hold; fall caused by a sudden thrust
    Kairaho - To grasp opponent by legs, lift and throw him.
    Whiri - To throw adversary across out thrust leg.
    Mutu - A sudden yielding to opponent's pressure, and quick recovery, turning opponent's body undermost.
    Mamau - Another form of arm grip.
    Awhiawhi - A body grip.

Before the match started, (karakia) charms were often quoted by the practitioner to strengthen oneself and weaken their opponent.

Matches often started off from both opponents standing in the clinch.

As an art form it has been compared in its similarities to both Judo, Greco-roman wrestling and Sumo which are now popular grappling arts amongst Maori citizens.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  11. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Real Wing Chun. :whistle:

12. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

You beat me to it! Nearly everything I read about Wing Chun is negative (except by claims of it's students). Yet I knew some former WC students from a school in the Cinncinatti area that proved quite formidable. Now and then I hear that WC schools of high quality are hard to find yet do exist.

13. Considered

Considered New Member

8 drunken immortals?

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Sounds like my stag night.....

15. Considered

Considered New Member

Krav Maga?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter