Worlds rarest martial art styles

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hapuka, Apr 17, 2008.

1. MOAB

MOAB Valued Member

ACCA TKD? That sounds interesting. Is that a new substyle or a TKD organization? I'm always on the lookout for new TKD substyles.

In Korea there's actually a renewed interest in "traditional" Korean Martial art due to the boom of K-1 and MMA. These days any TKMA that trains for MMA or Kickboxing matches have the name "Ssiljun" in their substyle. Ssiljun means "actual fight" or "realistic fight".

So a TKD gym that trains for realistic fights are called Ssiljun Taekwondo. I've even seen an ad advertising Ssiljun Hapkido, I think that is a gym where Crazy Kwang Lee (MMA pro fighter in Spirit MC) trains in, I could be wrong though. But I do know that some professional fighters do come from Ssiljun Hapkido gyms.

I've also heard of Pro-Taekwondo before too, but I don't know if it is the same as Ssiljun TKD or not in Korea. I'm leaning on that possibility that Pro-TKD and Ssiljun TKD are very similar in that they train realistically and for full-contact matches, but that they are under totally different management and rules.

2. MOAB

MOAB Valued Member

There's also a rare Korean military style that is used by a select group of troops and is also my main style. It is so rare, I couldn't even find much information about this even on South Korean sites. It is called Kyuksuldo.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1429898#post1429898

Most Korean sites label Kyuksuldo as a "North Korean Special Forces Martial Art". But this Kyuksuldo is different from North Korean Kyuksuldo. As NK Kyuksuldo is decades old, the South Korea version is only a 11 years old (give or take).

So it is around the same age as Gongkwon Yusul, but not as popular or well-known.

edit- There's another Military MA that I trained in. It was an evolved form of Tuk Gong Musul called Tuk Jun Musul. It again is rare, unfortunately all I have of that is a poster.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  3. _StRiKeR_

_StRiKeR_ Valued Member

ACCA stands for American Combine Combative Association. Unlike other TKD schools this TKD combines many other MA's to form a more realistic fighting style. From stand up, to ground, evan weapons, but it is not MMA. I know that there is a school in Texas, and there is the one I traine in Florida. I'm sure that there are few more schools scatter around.

[​IMG]

Each falg on that seal has a style of MA that my school pratices.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  4. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Shunryu Genpo, name changed later on to Shunryu Kempo.

5. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Just for those that aren't aware, Llap-Goch sounds like 'clap cockrel - rel' :)

6. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

pankration, muay thai chaiya, muay pra nakom...

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

The reason why I asked this question is because when I come out of film school I plan to do a documentary based on the more ancient and rare martial arts within the next ten years, kind of in the style of those old school martial art documentarys like BBC's Way of the Warrior.

I'm starting to get sick of documentary/Reality TV shows like Human weapon where they don't pay much attention to old school martial arts and cover more main stream styles. Done to death, LOL!

Thats why I'm doing my homework and getting my diplomas and degrees now so I can deliver the martial artists and martial art fans a martial arts documentary to remember and to do films and documentarys which will make people happy. :)

8. MOAB

MOAB Valued Member

Well, then Taekkyon would be a good choice then. Granted it is not that rare anymore, but just several years ago not many people have heard of taekkyon. In fact you couldn't find any detailed english website before, either. So you can try that.

Also, cover Kyuksuldo if you can. It's not ancient, but it is unheard of. Not many in Korea have heard of it either. Since there are only two Kyuksul gyms in Korea (one civilian, one military), I'm the best source you have, how convenient for you.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  9. MOAB

MOAB Valued Member

Come to think of it. Even though BJJ is pretty much mainstream amongst the MMA community, it's not covered that well on tv.

Seonmudo is a martial art practiced by Korean buddhist monks. There are Seonmudo gyms outside the temple, but internet rumors say that they have no direct lineage to the ones practiced by the monks.

http://eng.buddhapia.com/_Service/BUDDHAPIA/0000000871/

You can find more here. In fact I've haven't heard of some of these before I read this wiki page, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_martial_arts

WTF is Gungsido?

Outside of Korea. I suggest you look for street fighting martial arts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keysi_Fighting_Method

KFM is used in the Batman Begins movie. Sari-An and Bakbakan are two new martial arts I've never heard before.

Ryukyu Kobujutsu

http://www.paw.hi-ho.ne.jp/ryukyu-kbujut/historye.html

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  10. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

That stuff is awesome, I know what you are talkign about.

11. p_rican fighter

p_rican fighter Valued Member

mai owwwn kung fu

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Thanks for your input. :)
    It definitely looks like an interesting martial art.

I will also be covering newer martial arts later on in my series :p. I had a look at Kyuksuldo on youtube and it looks pretty good so I see why not. I'll do some more study on the newer martial arts that are around and see what I can find. :cool:

The way I plan to do it is on a timeline type scale starting from the first recorded history of martial arts and fighting styles of each country. I'm thinking about starting in NewZealand, Australia and the pacific islands.

By the way does anyone know of any fighting styles that the Aboriginal people might of had? I've done a serch on the internet but have struggled to find anything.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Again... all humans have always had the innate ability to ball up a fist and smash their fellow man. Or to lunge and tackle and take someone down to the ground. Or pick up a stick/stone and use it to bash, bludgeon or impales someone. No doubt thrown rocks were also put into action.

But be wary of anyone that comes out with 'aborginal martial arts' if they're trying to pitch you on some codified system of movements and patterns that were drilled as part of some sort of syllabus. Humans don't need that to go to war... or to be martially effective. In fact most of mans history is replete with weapons based warfare that payed relatively little attention to punching and kicking beyond what the average person can string together when feeling aggressive.

14. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Don't worry Slip, I know what to look out for! :)

I'm mainly intersted in what weapons they might of used in combat and hunting and what hand to hand combat techniques they might of used.

I think its time to dig into the history books.

15. path_one

path_one steps taken

Hapuka, I'm always on the look out for any martial arts with a Turkish history (besides the wrestling). there are many weapons from the Ottoman era, and the Turkish peoples originated from Mongolia and Turkic people so I always thought it would be logical for things to be carried on throughout transition periods over centuries.

I haven't found much besides a few ahem (ambitious) individuals trying to consolidate what they claim to be Turkish/Ottoman martial arts under a new name.

Give me a shout if you come across anything or if you find links to sites in Turkish - I'd be glad to help ;)

So far I have read something about Amarock which is meant to be a very old style that pre-dates Turks being influenced by Islam but don't know about its authenticity.

The problem is a lot of text (lots of things were documented during the Ottoman era) is yet to be translated. I have heard about bladed weapon training on carcasses - more than likely angles the first 5 angles from FMA (Lacoste/Inosanto numbering)

I'll send you some links when I find them if you like?

All the best

A

16. MOAB

MOAB Valued Member

Hawaiian Polynesians had a bone breaking martial art called Lau. Then I found a thread listing unheard of martial arts from Africa and Oceania. Be warned though, I can't validate these claims for you. I'm just looking into as many styles as I can.

http://martialarts.about.com/od/standupstyles/p/lua.htm

This one has a list on what you're looking for.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2407

17. hl1978

hl1978 Valued Member

there are tons of japanese koryu styles out there with few practitioners.

plenty of sword art styles with few practioners, etc.

18. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

19. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

20. EvilhomerNZ

EvilhomerNZ Valued Member

Is this open to martial styles?

Obviously you'd take Mau and Mau Rakau from here in NZ.

Abroad I'd take a good look at Krabi krabong.