Worlds rarest martial art styles

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hapuka, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I don't know if a thread like this has already been made or not but I'm really interested in rare martial art styles. The ones that not many people practice world wide so if anyone knows anything please post. :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

check out the sipalki thread in the HKD forum. also, i think yaw yan was pretty rare. don't know much about that though.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Remember kids, some styles may be rare for good reasons :D

4. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

duck style kung fu, saw it on a really old vid, doubt it exists anymore

5. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Turtle style kung fu.

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

When I was a kid I witnessed chicken style kung fu...

Might have been a slow day in the development of CMA as all the best animals (Tiger, Dragon, Snake, Panther, Phoenix, etc.) had already been taken.

7. bulkathos72

bulkathos72 Valued Member

8. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

I take it you say that because they're ineffective in combat.

Well that's not a good reason, :D

9. Fish Of Doom

what do you mean ineffective??? haven't you ever seen duck-style kung fu'ers evading headshots?

10. SteyrAUG

SteyrAUG Valued Member

I once saw REAL TKD done by a couple of ROK guys, haven't seen anything like it ever since.

:D

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I can imagine. I bet that was interesting too.

I would think that there are a lot of rare CMA styles out there. Consider the impact of the Cultural Revolution and it's not hard to understand why some rare styles might have become even more rare or extinct.

12. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

I know you are joking an all but the first mention of Fajing in writing, was done by a Hsingyi person on the Fighting Chicken(rooster). It was found in a old statue. That is all I remember of the document. That an the why in regards to Fajing and the chicken, it relates to the fact a chicken aligns its hole body except its legs when it strikes. When they peck you the mark is often left for years on the skin. In the original system of Chicken they had a bunch of kicking as well, it is said that in the Wudang systems kicking is based on the chicken systems approach. Legends!!?!!

Six Elbow, is a very rare system of Kung Fu. One of the people from China moved to Kansas City that practiced and that is how I meet someone that studied it. Not sure how many practice it. It was featured in one of the Kung Fu magazines not sure which. Well if I had to guess less than a two hundred study the system.

Several styles of Mizongquan are considered rear systems.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  13. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Come on guys.....

:)

Real styles (traditional) please, the ones that helped make todays martial arts but you don't hear much of anymore.

14. Fish Of Doom

as i said, sipalki and yaw yan.

also, muay boran, okinawa-te.

15. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Muay Boran? I thought that was quite a well known martial art.

16. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Turtle style is a real art. Sometime, when i get a chance, I'll post a vid.

17. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

[ame="http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=3TAxy6cuP0w&feature=related"]http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=3TAxy6cuP0w&feature=related[/ame]

18. Fish Of Doom

well then, you can just go to your local sports centre and i'm sure it'll be bristling with muay boran classes, eh? :p muay boran and okinawa-te, are known generally only as the precursors to muay thai and karate, but ask nay random person in the street what muay boran or okinawa-te are and 99%* of the time you'll get a wtf look out of them.

*65% of all statistics are made up on the spot

19. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Okinawa Te (Hand of Okinawa)refers to any current Okinawan karate (Shorin Ryu, Goju Ryu, etc). It is not a style unto itself (or, at least not at this time).

20. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

In terms of generic arts, Lethwei, Bando and Banshay have found their way around the world, but I would still consider them to be rare.