Worldly sayings you feel apply to your practice of Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hans Larrave, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Hans Larrave

Hans Larrave New Member

Original Ref: The One-Eyed Man Is King

When you hear the expression, “In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king” it’s a nice way of saying that even a person with limited abilities and knowledge is at a great advantage in the company of those with lesser abilities and less knowledge than he.

The Italians have the same saying, “In un mondo di ciechi un orbo è re.” The German people have their version of the proverb: “Those that rule must hear and be deaf, must see and be blind.” And the French people also have their own version of the proverb: “When a blind man bears the standard, pity those who follow.” Some say it’s a variation of a Bible quote found in Matthew 15:14 that states: “If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit.” It’s also found in Luke 6:39 as: “Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit?”

I feel martialartists are the one eyed man, in a blind world of wanton P2P shootings, group shootings and backpack bombers.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Depends on the martial artist really. I think you'll find most of us train for fun and fitness rather than looking to become a lone anti-terrorism unit.

axelb and Monkey_Magic like this.
  3. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I’m definitely in the fun and fitness category.

“Just because you’re a Dragon, it doesn’t mean you’re better than me.” - Monkey

axelb likes this.
  4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

'your guard won't stop a bomb' Hewho, 2019
    I train because I love it, I love the competitive aspect, I love pitting my skills against someone else who can challenge me in a sporting match, but I know for sure that a blind man or angry child with a knife can still kill me.

More to your point, I like 'hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard' which I can't credit to anyone off the top of my head.

axelb likes this.
  5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."

:D

6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

All of my favorites are in this one scene:

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

axelb, Monkey_Magic and hewho like this.
  8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"Keep trying."

axelb likes this.
  9. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming ....

Tom bayley, Grond and hewho like this.
  10. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I have two from one of my favorite philosophers, Blaise Pascal.

"We know the truth, not only by the reason, but also by the heart". Good luck trying to box using logic and no heart.

And I love this one the most,

"All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone." Pretty much sums up why I picked up pugilism in the first place.

Because it's been shown to be scientifically accurate. People in multiple studies would rather deliver electrical shocks to themselves than sit by themselves with nothing to do but think. A new study found people are terrible at sitting alone with their thoughts. How about you?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Hans Larrave, Tom bayley and axelb like this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

For the last year or so (maybe longer) I feel as though the old chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" has applied to me. :(
    I could do with things being a lot less "interesting".

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

"Whoops"

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

And then there's Joe Rogan, who lies down in a float tank to be alone with his thoughts. I can't even sit on a bus without at least two forms of external input.

Vince Millett, Mushroom and axelb like this.
  14. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. ~ Bruce Lee

You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it. ~ Albert Einstein

One comes to be of just such stuff as that which ones mind is set - Upanishads

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  15. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

If it bleeds, we can kill it

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

“I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure”

. “You know Burke, I don’t know which species is worse. You don’t see them BLANKing each other over for a goddamn percentage”

“My mommy always said there were no monsters – no real ones – but there are”

Aliens.

Wierdly I always viewed Hicks with a touch of Hudson as the perfect role model growing up.

Everyone liked Hudson, but Hicks planned ahead, had the right gear, the right mindset, and lifted everyone up to his level. He might have only been be a corporal I'm the USCMC, but if I was a fictional charactor, he's the fictional character I'd most like to be.

axelb, Grond and Rand86 like this.
  17. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Just because he's fictional doesn't mean he's not worth emulating.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  18. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

*batman cosplay intensifies*

19. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

If you train martial arts without training deep skill, you will arrive at old age with nothing - Di Guoyong

axelb likes this.
  20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

And thanks to Google adverts I know now the original actor with other "aliens" actors, have just released an audiobook version of an unfilmed script for alien 3, which stars Hicks instead of Ripley!

That's my commute sorted for a while!

Thanks MAP!

Frodocious, axelb and Grond like this.