World Koong Joong Hapkido

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by jimjam, Jan 26, 2007.

1. kjnphil

kjnphil Valued Member

Let's all be honest, GM Adams is no such thing! He is a regular black belt, his title is MR Adams. He is a fake and has fooled many people.

2. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Just curious why you believe this. I see no reference to you training with him, or being a student. And I will state that his technical abilities and curriculum have been judged by people who have a bit more knowledge about Hapkido than your bio would lead me to believe you have.

KJN Hinchliffe, consider the glass house analogy for just a moment.

3. kjnphil

kjnphil Valued Member

Each to there own reality. You have your truth and I have mine.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

YOU made a bold claim, now YOU need to expand on it - otherwise you have necroed a 18 month old thread just to troll it with childish insults

5. iron_ox

Ok, simple question, how much HAPKIDO training do you have under your Kuk Sool Won belt? Any training with Grandmaster Adams? I certainly don't remember him talking about you, and I've known him a good bit longer than you have been training according to your bio.

I see you joined the prison system in 1990, did you work with Grandmaster Adams? He spent a good bit of time doing that as well...

And again, since his material and technique have been objectively examined by one of the three men alive to get a 9th dan from the Founder of Hapkido, I would say your "reality" sounds more fantasy...but it seems you might just have a thing for titles..."kjnphil" Maybe?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  6. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I'm curious too why the comment after almost 2 years.

It looks like you haven't posted on MAP since 2010 and its just odd.

Did something happen between you and this Adams gentleman (or one of his students)?

My guess is someone probably opened a school near one of yours or something like that.

7. iron_ox

It was actually kjnphil who made the comment...and Grandmaster Adams is the man that brought Hapkido to the UK, and was he first to teach in several other countries in Europe as well.

And not to put too fine a point on it, he has had several articles published over the years in the UK that may not have made KSW folks too happy...but that was probably before kjnphil started training.

What is also a real shame is the way that Trevor Rant and his Koong Joong Hapkido group have tried to marginalize Fred Adams, even going so far as to try and make it look like Mr. Rant was training in Hapkido before the organization - the Great Britain Hapkido Association - existed. Without Fred Adams actually forming the association (with his wife as the original secretary) and hiring Mr. Joo as the teacher, who knows when Hapkido would have gotten started, and with all due respect to the fact that Trevor Rant has been training for a very long time, when the GBHA was established, he was still in school.

Or it could be that two of the highest ranking KSW men in the UK John Ives and Philip Holmes trained very early in their careers under Fred Adams GBHA.

Maybe kjnphil is reacting to that.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  8. kjnphil

kjnphil Valued Member

Philip Holmes and John Ives did not train under Fred Adams but with him, and they remember him well. Yes people remembered him when I worked at the prison. He was there as an auxiliary, a night patrol, not a prison officer. You are right this is all a very old argument and I apologise for upsetting a few folks.

9. iron_ox

Yes, as as I said, they trained under Fred Adams GBHA, just to be clear.

And I am sorry if I said anything that was misconstrued.

Fred, as I have called him at his insistence since I met him, turns 80 in June. It is my hope, that for one moment all the bitterness and hurt feelings can be shoved aside and everyone can simply wish him a happy birthday during this milestone.

He created the first Hapkido Association in the UK, and it was he that got the ball rolling for Hapkido in the UK and many other places in Europe. He got a lot of people started in Hapkido, even if their path went elsewhere for whatever reason.

I think a new thread might be warranted for this.

10. kjnphil

kjnphil Valued Member

I agree is silly but we must agree to disagree, they trained with NOT under.

Best wishes.

11. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

My own personal experience has been that whenever there is some obscuring or obfuscation of a history or lineage there is always something at work other than the facts. For example, in the case of CHOI Yong Sul's direct students there a great number of cases where people stated a particular standing, rank or status. When these qualifications were called into question the responses usually had to do with "a certain point of view". Unfortunately there is no way to resolve any person taking a "particular point of view". No person who has motives to represent themselves in a particular way is going to admit to "playing with" his lineage to produce a particular effect. They just won't.

Personally, I think this is the one area where people get really confused about Korean MA. There is always so much talk about lofty motives and goals only to later reveal that long-standing individuals in the community are still capable of base behaviors. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce