World Koong Joong Hapkido

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by jimjam, Jan 26, 2007.

1. jimjam

jimjam New Member

Greetings to all at the Martial Arts Planet.

I would like to introduce our Hapkido organisation:

World Koong Joong Hapkido.

Our organisation was at the very beginning of Hapkido in England in 1970, so we have many members who have 20 – 30 years experience each with Hapkido.

If you are interested, please take a look at our new website: http://www.hap-ki-do.co.uk.

Regards,

Jeremy Wright
    Webmaster: World Koong Joong Hapkido

2. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Curious...

The website says it is also the temple arts of Korea AKA Bulkyo Moo Sool. This sounds like Kuk Sool. Judging from the "patterns" link ( which shows positions from the Cho Geup Hyung of Kuk Sool), The history page mentions--- "While in Korea, Mr Joo 5th Dan, was taught Hap Ki Do from two schools, Dea Han Ki Do Fe and Dea Han Heup Fe." Back Then the Dea Han Ki Do hae(fe?) was indistinguisable from Kuk sool Won.

Although there is clearly some nice skills shown on the website, and probably some evolution over the years in the org, it looks like the roots of this organization are, at least in part, from Kuk Sool. Is that the case, or am I just imagining things????

3. jimjam

jimjam New Member

Hi,

Thanks for taking a good look at our site.

Our patterns did not originate from Mr Joo at the beginning of UK Hapkido, but arrived little later and came with Master Hong from Korea, and Master Hong has not ever given any weight to Kuk Sool origins as far as I know. Sorry but I can’t be more specific than that.

Regards,
    Jeremy

4. hapk1do

hapk1do Valued Member

Well... Kung Jung Mu Sul is actually what you are referring to I think. There are actually three ancient systems that different Korean Martial Arts Masters cite in many curricula... Kung Jung Mu Sul, Bulkyo Mu Sul, and Sado Mu Sul. Basically though, it all comes back to the old adage about royal courts, monasteries, and secret systems.

The name of this organization sounds a whole lot like Kung Jung Mu Sul, which is basically very similar to Kuk Sool oriented curricula. Looking at the website though, I see that N.G. Joo was cited as well as W. K. Hong.

If I'm not mistaken, both of them were originally under Ji Han Jae and his minions and Joo broke away or retired. If you look at the logo there, it's pretty close to the Sin Moo logo. I wouldn't say that it's set in stone though, as the history appears to be vague at best.

Also... Ji Han Jae actually sat on the board of the Korea Kido Association(Kido Hae) in the few years after it was first started, so it could have been any of the GMs that influenced Joo or Hong.

Not knockin your style though JimJam... Looks to me to be pretty much squared away...

I wish you good health and good practice. :)

5. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

You are mistaken.

6. hapk1do

hapk1do Valued Member

Well, I know that he apparently taught GM Fred Adams who, according your own website, taught you extensively... So... If I am mistaken, I would assume that you know the answer to the riddle... Please Master Sogor, do tell. Who was Joo's teacher??

7. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Mr. Joo, as he was called was the first to teach Hapkido in the UK, and to his first student, Grandmaster Fred Adams. I have never met Mr. Joo, but according to Grandmaster Adams, Mr. Joo was always adament that Ji Han Jae, nor his "minions" (?) were not his teacher. Frankly, if you know more about Mr. Joo than the man that was with him daily for years, I would be surprised. Accordingly, the reason he used the eagle logo is known more to him and Grandmaster Adams.

8. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

nice website but the demo video would have been better if you could see the technique being performed, rather than just the end throw. :)

9. hapk1do

hapk1do Valued Member

On the contrary Master Sogor, I was never claiming that I knew more about anything than anyone and I respect what you have said here. I will not deny at all that GM Adams should/would know an infinitely greater amount of information on the subject than I would...

However, the History of Mister Joo is, at best, not freely documented on either of the websites that he appears on(that i have seen anyway). Surely there is some account of his lineage available somewhere. I can find nothing extensive in writing, and will admit that I am going by word of mouth and deductive reasoning, which you have demonstrated here as being questionable at best... agreed...

... I am definitely not, however, attempting to pass Mr. Joo(all respect) off as invalid or hokey...

As for the logos, well... The two look pretty close to me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All respect, and I wish you good health and good practice. :)

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I just watched the "demo" - it's pretty cool. I liked the endings, but also would have liked to have seen a bit more of the entry. Good stuff though!!!!!

Looks like a nice site and it looks like a club I'd check out if I were in the area!

11. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I agree! nice web site.

Best wishes J.B. Murphy

12. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Hello all at the World Koong Joong Hapkido.
    Nice website, and a club with some lovely members who are welcoming and friendly.

13. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Wow! thats odd I wonder how an original/old/traditional HKD art (which usually have no hyung) evolved hyung almost identical to kuk sool with out ever any admitted crossover ....Amazing

14. klaasb

klaasb ....

Maybe they studied in the same hidden temple back in Korea? ;)

Just kidding. It could be that this master Hong studied Kuk Sool Won when it wasn't Kuk Sool Won yet. Which would be the reason why he has never given any weight to Kuk Sool origins of what he does.

15. PlumpSamurai

PlumpSamurai New Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  16. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Er.... 'scuse me. Gotta question:

Exactly which "royal palace" is being referred to in the phrase

"Koong Joong - "Palace Martial Art"?

The reason I ask is that it would be helpful to know what resources attest to the fact that the material studied by the group hosting this website was present in, studied at, used by a "royal court". Help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

17. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

Nice website. Great technique endings.

18. Yakka

Yakka Valued Member

Mr Joo & Master Hong

Interesting stuff!
    Does anyone know if Mr Joo is still alive ? If so where is Mr Joo now or what happened to him? Perhaps he could clear this up or maybe Master Hong could.
    Is there any disagreament with Master adams and Koon Joong school at all?

regards
    Yakka

19. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

Hello all I was in England while all this was going on. If you look at the archived pictures from the Koong Joong Hap Ki Do web site you will see several people whom most know. My Master Mod-Yang Kim went to visit A master in Norwich to work out. The students that I am referring to are Master Richard Roper, Master John Holmes and Master phillip Holmes are in the early pictures there before coming to Kuk Sool Won in England. If you would contact them you probably could find out who Master Joo Teacher was. D2

20. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

I need to change one of the students name from Master John Holmes to Master John Ives. My Mistake I was in a Hurry to put in my reply D2