world fighting arts gym

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by kabba kick, Sep 6, 2004.

1. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

hey ppl
    i live in maryland,a 3rd degree black belt in tkd(dont pay anyattention to that last part cause it really doesn't mean anything)

i was hoping to make a transition to kickboxing or muay thai and i found this place called world fighting arts in rockville i cant remeber the name of the guy who teaches, its kinda hard to pronounce i think it might be vietnamese

Has anyone heard of this place?anyone goes there? i would like to find out as much as i can before i head on over

the stricter he is,the better is it run like a gym or are there classes i have to attend?if classes how long are they(i like long classes too) can he help me with nuritrition and dieting too? blah blah blah all that good stuff

their website is down and i tried calling but they wont pick up

sry if i put this topic in the wrong place,i thought that this would be the bestplace to put it

edit:i live in olney in montgomery county so id really appreciate if theres any place that youd recomend thats better,closer,more gym like(im a firefighter so class times is most definetly gonna be an issue)
    - thanks

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  2. qbushido

qbushido Subaru whore/NYC kid

if the website is down and they dont pick up the phone the school could be out of biz....your best bet is to go, sit and watch a workout. Make the decision then.

3. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

yea i was thinking of that but i dont even know when to go

4. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Well, the last time I checked, WORLD FIGHTING ARTS was located in College Park, not Rockville. The Masters name is Quoc Dung (pronounced, "Kwock Dung"). Yes, he's Vietnamese.

My understanding is that what he teaches is not exactly Muay Thai, but the Vietnamese equivalent. From the little bit I have seen, there really isn't much difference in the techniques, though I can't comment on the strategies or training.

Since you live in Montgomery County, I would suggest checking out the Evolve Academy in Germantown. I'm acquaintances with Mike, Amy, and Nakapan (the head instructors) and they are great people. You'd really enjoy training with them!

http://evolveacademy.com/

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

On paper, it sounds similar to muay thai. But my best friend trained at World Martial Arts. And he's now training in muay thai. He says the classes are pretty different. That's not a value judgment mind you. But if it's muay thai you're looking for, you may want to keep looking (or visit Mike Moses by all means).

The other thing is that the facilities at World Martial Arts are tiny. It's a small little area on the third floor of a small building. Barely room for a class. I don't know whether that matters to you. But I personally wasn't crazy about the place.

Quoc Dung himself is quite impressive though.

Stuart

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Just reread your post:

Yeah, there are classes. And the place is small enough that if you're not in a class, you're probably not going to fit in there. So don't bank on being able to train on your own schedule. But still, you'll want to check it out for yourself.

Stuart

7. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

thanks alot for the response ill be sure to check them out