World Combat League (WCL)

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Slip, it's not a suckfest. It's fun to watch, and theres no need to talk trash about it. I bet all those fighters would clean your clock, mate.

2. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Yeah, it's not too bad to watch, actually.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D
    Korpy is big and bad now. :D
    Korpy when you get around to jumping in the ring and actually trading a few love taps with someone... then come back and talk about who's cleaning who's clock. Until then... just hush with your bad self. :D

I just watched the highlight. Not bad... but not spectacular either.
    Lots of sloppy punching going on. The big round mat with ring sucks. They've got the same deal in San Shou style matches and it's just lame. Sorry. Not a total suckfest... but the ruleset... meh.

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Slip, w/e, man I'm getting ready for Muay Thai smokers, so please dont tell me to be quiet.

And see, you changed your words. You don't like the ruleset, it's not a suckfest.

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Its not on TV over here on the sunshine island, but ive seen a few clips on the tinternet. Looks good fun i think.

Fast paced and plenty of action even if it is a little sloppy sometimes.

Well, its full-contact and its martial arts; it gets my vote.

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Just watched it for the first time here in florida,i enjoyed it,2 girls(didnt catch there names) both skilfull fighters,do they get paid in the WCL? :)

7. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

It's actually more fun to watch than you might think. The rules look bad on paper, but there are actually quite a few knockouts. The fighters are penalized for stalling/passivity and are rewarded for knockouts. It's a team event, so points count. At the end of a fight, each fighter gets points based upon the fight and whether or not they were penalized for something. It's not uncommon for someone to get dominated, but still get 10 or so points for their team. In a knockout, no points are awarded. The winner gets them all. So, knockouts are very desirable.

The result is often a slugfest, which is kind of fun to watch... non-stop action.

8. slipthejab

You getting ready for MT smokers when you've been training a handful of months in what?....
    so be quiet.
    LOL!!

The ruleset does = SUCKFEST!!!
    :D

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

For those of us old enough to remember, yeah, kickboxing was all the rage at one point before MMA came around. Now MMA gets all the publicity, and that's what people have come to know as "full contact fighting". The rules are what they are because of the man who created the league. I do find it comical that he has created a limitied ruleset considering he's also a BJJer, but I think he went back to his roots, which was full-contact karate (ok, tang soo do). It does attract a different crowd than MMA, and I think that was another consideration for Chuckie, who is very religious.

10. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I think Chuck just simply wanted to make a fast-paced sport, which is why the sport has so many funky rules like leg kicks that can only be done with combos and a single 3 minute round per fighter. This way the fighters can go non-stop, without having to worry about pacing themselves. Forcing fighters to make combos would be a reason for more action. A cumulative point system encourages the fighters to constantly engage one another, especially since all the points add up. It's basically an offense crazy sport.

11. ReeceLightning

ReeceLightning Valued Member

i think longer rounds would be better and elbow strikes and clinching should be allowed basically a ufc without groundwork to keep people who aren't interested in or dont know anything about bjj happy

12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Slip just <bleep>, you're not adding anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2007
  13. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Watched it again last night,enjoyed it again,then again i enjoy most things where people are punching kicking and kneeing each other!mmm :confused:

14. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

The fighters are skilled no doubt but the ruleset does seem like it caters for ADD sufferers... 1 round fights! It's like that slamball thing... don't much like the ring either. Not having ropes seems to me to just be asking for lots of restarts. I know your not going to like this opinion Mr. Korps but there goes. The encouraging of womens fights and inclusion of some lesser seen TMA is quite a nice change though.

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

They have 2 halves. So they have their 1 round. Then in the second half, they have another round.

They dont just go once and be done.

16. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

2 x 1.5 min rounds?

17. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

LOL!!!

Korpy just OWNED Slip!! :D

18. slipthejab

tsk.. tsk.. Korpy... TOS... you know better than that.
    Just because I'm not towing your line the SUCKFEST = t3h d34d733... doesn't mean I'm not adding anything.

Surely you can muster something a little more clever than the
    oh-so-5th-grade '<bleep>'... :p

19. slipthejab

lol... methinks Korps has a lot more learn before he can lay claim to that title.:D

20. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

No, not really