World Combat League (WCL)

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Korpy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Who here has seen the WCL? I try to watch it everytime it's on. It's an exciting Kickboxing event. And I love how it is fast paced, without fighters clinching without doing any damage, and no passtivity. Also I like the rules.

All punching skills
    All kicking skills (including low kicks, but no low kicks to the calves)
    Knee strikes

It's very interesting to watch. And I love that the fighters come from such different backgrounds. Karate, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, Chun Kuk Do, FC Kickboxing, and Muay Thai.

And to the people who say it's only a bunch of "krotty guys" you are wrong. Alot of Muay Thai fighters compete in the WCL.

What do ya'll think about it?

2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

which countries are represented in the WCL

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

So far it's just US cities. Some represented are Houston, Los Angeles, Dallas, New England, ect.

4. TheMadhoose

not realy a WORLD league then huh

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

lol you look way too much into a name. :rolleyes:

It's only in its 2nd season, so they are still pretty new.

6. TheMadhoose

ok im a cynic but WORLD usualy implies more than one country but then agian from ppl who have a WORLD SERIES baseball with 2 countries involved then im not surprised. why not call a spade by a spade and call it the american combat league

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

:rolleyes:

Nevermind, as I se you dont want to discuss the teams or the events, its not worth communicating with you.

I hope someone else comes and wants to talk.

8. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyHYSSfojlQ"]YouTube[/ame]

There's a small highlight of the WCL.

9. TheMadhoose

no doubtin its a good event but its no a WORLD league call it what it is

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

oh shut up, already.

do you like the fights or not? whether you like the name is irrelevant. You got a beef, take it up with Churk Norris.

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I love the fights. It's just pretty cool is all. Hey GC have you watched one of their shows yet? (you can find it on the Vs channel)

I think it's cool that all these TMA guys (TKD, Karate, Kung Fu, Kenpo) guys are coming in, and fighting full contact. Plus it has the ever so cool Kickboxing pants. :p

12. TheMadhoose

jus sayin when we had scottish open circuit and the scottish freestyle circuit or did the FSK events we didnt call em world freestyle events. and i shall tell chuck next time i see him

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Go away, MH. :p :love:

I prefer UFC and WEC and IFL. The biggest plus for the WCL in my mind is the inclusion of female fighters. Women's combat sports don't get nearly the attention they deserve, and I think Norris was a smart man to require each team be respresented by a female fighter. I'd love to see the major MMA organizations have more female fighters on their cards; they do well in Europe and Japan, why not here in the US? And it kinda bugs me that Debbie Purcell is good enough to be the assistant coach of the IFL Condors but can't fight in the league.

14. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

GC, you rock. :cool:

That's true, especially since the female fighters have had some of the most exciting bouts, sometimes they even go harder and better then the guys. I know some former UFC fighters are coaches in the WCL. Guy Mezger and Tra Telligram (sp?).

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

And this was the last post ever from TheMadhoose as he mysteriously died from a roundhouse kick related injury. :D

16. rsobrien

rsobrien Valued Member

I think it is really fun to watch and some of the fighters are really good but, the rules get to be a little annoying.

1 3 min round is not enough time to do anything. You may only leg kick as part of a combo but this doesn't even matter. The accumulated damage of leg kicks over the course of rounds doesn't come up anyway.

and you cannot clinch for any period of time. You may clinch for a split second for a technique but there is no clinch fighting what so ever.

Really, it looks like a game of rock sock em robots with people. They stand there and blast each other for 3 min. It is fun to watch and not boring but I wouldn't call the fighting intellgent or technical. I wouldn't compare anyone in the WCL with the fighters from K1 or champion thai boxers or san shou fighters.

17. cmrdzo

cmrdzo New Member

I've seen all of the matches and went to the Championship. It is entertaining. My favorite fighter is Raymond Daniels, he has some pretty cool knockouts. I hope that Jennifer Santiago and Jeri Sitzes get to fight each other this year, that would be a great fight.

18. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I hate it when people say "the time limit doesnt allow you to fight intelligently"

Actually it does. You just have to think and strategized quickly and apply what you think will work.

Also you can throw leg kicks as a single attack, but it can be thigh only, not the calve.

19. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

why not the calf? is it because there's a risk of hitting the knee?

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Given that rule set... it sounds like a suckfest.

Am I reading that correctly... it's a single 3 minute round? :eek:
    Jeez... I could give up all my roadwork and conditioning if that's the case. :D

No clinch = suck fest

No kicks unless part of a combo = suckfest