World Christian Taekwondo Federation

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Bulldog, Nov 18, 2003.

?

What would you like to see more of in Taekwondo instruction overall?

1. Hand techniques

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Self Defense applications

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Ground fighting

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  4. Rolls/Falls

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

I am just supplying information to those who would be interested. This is not designed to start debates or discussions..but, since it is a forum...do what comes naturally! :)

World Christian Taekwondo Federation is currently getting established.

www.wctf.net

Thanks,

Aaron

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

EDIT: The following is taken from the front page of the above website.

"Exclusively Christian"

WOW! What does that mean :confused:?????

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  3. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

I think that it's pretty self explanatory...(did I spell that right? Probably not)...

Just an informational post...do with it what you will! :)

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

So, just so I get you right, it's TKD based on a principle of excluding all non-christian groups?

If so, then I'll leave that link in the old circular file thanks ;)

TKD is for everybody. :D

5. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

It think that Taekwondo is for everyone too...
    I'm sure that when the web site is up it will explain their stance, purpose, mission statement...etc..

I just happened to find the site after surfing...

Aaron

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I think it's probably more something for people who do TKD who happen to be christian.

7. zun

zun New Member

Hey!

I'm not christian can I join?

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Please don't bash someone elses beliefs. If you don't agree with the Christian faith, its okay, just don't blast someone else who does...

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa....Hold Up!

First of all I asked for clarification of what "Exclusivly Christian" means. Seeing as I have Christian parents I'm pretty sure the underpining belief of the Christian faith was "love thy neighbour" regardless of thier belief system.

Nobody has "blasted" the Christian faith here Kwajman so I'd appreciate a little pause before you hit the post button.

What I'm pointing a finger here at is a group which openly seems to say "We only cater for Christians.".

If anybody has a problem with a different religion then it sems to be these people. However, this is purely based on first impressions of the site (which is not completed).

This is the overiding problem with "beliefs" as a great man once said.

"Ideas are better than beliefs. You can always change an idea, but it's a lot harder to change a belief." - Rufus

10. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

I don't understand why we need to split martial artists into arbitrary groups like this - what difference does it make if they are Christian, Buddhist or whatever, it just shouldn't enter the equation. When I was doing some research on the net about tkd associations, I came across a ref to a Gay and Lesbian Taekwondo Association. I have the same issue with this - why is there a need for a special group? Religion or sexual orientation don't/shouldn't have any bearing on the way you practice martial arts. Surely one of the basic martial arts tenets is RESPECT, and if we can all show that, then there is no need for these exclusive groups.

11. stump

stump Supersub

Here, TKD is being used as an evangelical tool...which I don't agree with

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I agree with you on this Ajumma. Since MA is supposed to be for everyone, spiltting it into denomination only groups just makes things exclusive. Technically, as far as the Gay and Lesbian Martial arts groups go, their justification is they get abuse/discrimination in "regular" martial arts groups, so they start their own. I don't actually see anything strictly wrong with a christian group, or a Gay and Lesbian group, but its when they say "Only Christians/Only Gays and Lesbians can train here" that I would find objectionable. Its just discrimination reversed.

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Its a form of discrimination hiding behind an attempted front of 'anti-discrimination'.

14. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

oh, I didn't look at the site and presumed it was like something for people who do tkd and are christian, like they do tkd somewhere and are also a member of the christian society for tkd or whatever it's called.

I can't see anything wrong with that. Same with the LGB TKD thingy.

But yeah if it was stop doing tkd where you are and join our organisation then that's a bit iffy TKD already has enough petty organisations.

15. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Haha, I think the real reason behind this is the cha ching $$$$$$
    $$$$$$$$ If they only tend to one section and are in a highly populated area of christians then they are going to get good money for it. Same with the lez's and gay's say if they are in key west or something they'll make more money if they support gay people.

Then again there is what Infesticon #1 said and it is just groups but personally, wouldn't you feel like an outcast if you were straight and in a gay club or christian club and you were buddhist or whatever??

16. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

There is discussion that taekwondo is for everyone...yet there are more associations and federations out there than are truly necessary...

I don't think any of these groups are sending the message that "you MUST join us"...I think they are simply saying...
    If you would like to be a part of this...join...it's a matter of choice...

I think that there are already some threads where discrimination against this organization has already been established...and yet, we don't really know anything about them...

It really doesn't matter if one thinks it's about making money...or if it's going to use TKD as an evangelical tool...or you don't like the term exclusive...although I respect the points raised...it sounds judgemental and discriminating to form opinions about a site link and an organization that we don't really know anything about...:)

I've seen this so many times...and I'm so glad that I posted in my journal yesterday...I hope some of you will take a moment to read my Benny Urquidez post...

In closing...I don't care if you're gay/lesbian/black/white/brown/purple/Christian/Buddhist/Taoist/Atheist TKD association or federation...I care about the people...I care that regardless of whether I agree or disagree with their beliefs...I see that we have something in common and that is TKD...That is the common point...We have the same interest or passion...I don't think anyone can look at a TKD student and say...
    "Hey, I bet he/she is one of those gay/lesbian/Christian/Buddhist/Taoists..."

Associations and Federations are not the foundational problem that brings division among Taekwondo...it's our own way of thinking...

Thanks,

Aaron

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Okay Tosh, the gloves are off!! Nah, oh second thought, I didn't really mean to jump on you like that. I wrote it REALLY late at night and I deserve whatever beating you may feel I deserve. Just don't hit the face okay, my daughter says its scary enough...

[​IMG]

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i agree with those who said that there shouldn't be any differences between people who are christian and those who are not.

imagine this situation...a person who is not christian lives in the same area, (s)he can't join them because of his/her religious beliefs. another TKD club is too far away for this person. so should this person be deprived of tkd trainings?

i don't think that God would have wanted it that way. some of u said that it might be because of money. if that is true (which we don't know at this point of time) then again there is something wrong with them because God wouldn't have wanted the club to be all about money. i don't think that that's what the Bible is all about.

19. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Man...I had NO idea that this would create such discussion...ha ha

I think it's healthy that's for sure...

Through diversity comes the truth...

I'm not going to start opening up the "what the Bible is all about or God wouldn't want this or that"...at least not here...:)

I'm glad to see it has so many "pondering"...

I don't think their goal is to deny anyone TKD training based on faith beliefs of lack of them...I imagine that they teach or incorporate their faith into their curriculum and are looking for others who do the same...
    or want to do something similar...To me, that is no different than those who incorporate any kind of philosophy or ideaology...

Many good comments here...

Aaron

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

they can invite to their club whoever they want. it's their club and it's up to them. i don't care. but for the sake of having a discussion:

would u like to have an instrcutor who would every now and then during the training session talk about faith and God? that can definitely make somebody leave. i don't think that religion should interefere with sports. sport is for everyone: the healthy and the handicapped, the short ones and the tall ones, christians and atheists etc. the most important thing is to develop urself within the sport according to its philosophy, which is again different from religion, don't u think?

and let's not forget a very important thing: we are not sure what these people are trying to do and what their trainings will be like, right? but we are having a nice discussion like nice people do, right???? :) :) :) :) :)