world champion

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by sii, Mar 4, 2006.

1. sii

sii New Member

Anyone know who is world ju jitsu champion ? is there such a competition ?

2. Beckwith

Beckwith New Member

There really is no such thing as a champion of any martial art. The competitions are divided into weight classes and gender classes.

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yeah, it's me :D
    There is an event in Brazil called the World Championships. I suppose if a competitor were to win the open weight category, they could lay claim to the title, other than that, they'd be the champion of their respective weight class

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  4. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Not.

;)

5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I may not be the WORLD champion, but I'll have you know that I'm the Champion of This Room (with no one else in it) and have an undefeated pro record (of 0-0-0) :D

6. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

OMG, you really ARE the world champion !!!

:D

7. kempo-kid

kempo-kid Warning Dangerous

Unfortunatly becasue of the number of groups / associations everyone seems to be a "world Champion" Infact the truth is I don't think we will ever know

KK

8. Dropbear

Dropbear Valued Member

Our style does not have competitions, so it's a little hard to know who the champion is.

It might sound very very corney but in the end, you're only competing with yourself, to get better.

9. JiuJitsuJim

JiuJitsuJim New Member

Yes, there is an actual world jiu jitsu champion- the Mundials in Brazil are recognized as the World Jiu Jitsu Championships www.cbjj.com

There are world champions according to weight class (and belt, but natrually black belt is the real world champion). There is also an open division where fighters who sign up fight regardless of their weight- this person is generally accepted as the one world champion- at the moment, its Ronaldo "Jacare" de Souza.

Abu Dhabi is recognized as the world no gi championships, and has the same setup as the Mundials, but is fought without a gi. The current absolute champion is Roger Gracie.

Champions natrually change from year to year, so this years champion may not be next years champion. There is a steady number of people however who constantly find themselves among the medalists in these competitions, so while there is a world champion, there still is much debate over which fighter has the best jiu jitsu.

10. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

This is an interesting topic though. Because although the concencus will always be what you're mentioning. You can't have personal growth without other people. I always believe both ways compliment eachother. So really having no competition at all may be a handicap for your own development. Don't you agree?

11. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Well, I was going to mention the BJJ world championships run by the cbjj, but even they aren't the only mundials, unfortunately, as someone else runs a mundials in Sao Paulo that some groups boycott. Politics is everywhere!!

As far tradition/ japanese ju jitsu... there are lots of 'world' organisations in different countries, some of which only consist of a handful of clubs in two countries. So there are quite a few world champions out there.

I think competition is beneficial to those who want it, especially in a small club. We do stand up and groundfighting comps both within the club and against other clubs. At the end of the day, a jj practitioner has a lot to learn about stand up from a good kickboxer and about groundwork from a BJJer.

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Probably a bunch of them. There would be no way to logistically organize a "winner takes all" type of tournament. Thats why there are several world champions in every martial arts, defined by organizations, weight class, age, gender.....

13. JiuJitsuJim

JiuJitsuJim New Member

While there are some tourmaments which will label themselves as the world championships (i.e. "NAGA World Championships" held in New Jersey of all places) people involved with jiu jitsu will acknowledge the Mundials of Brazil, held in Rio de Janeiro, as being the official world championships. The other ran in Sau Paulo has practically the same competitors, but the organizer offers cash prizes for his champions so that he can compete with the cbjj's mundial tournament.

14. Dropbear

Dropbear Valued Member

No :)

For me, I'm not in it for competing against anyone. I'm in it for personal growth and to learn the art. If I wanted to do 'sports jujitsu' I'd do Judo. In Judo I could go all out, fully resisting and compete to my hearts content.

In our system we use other people to learn from - you can't learn jujitsu in a vaccum, but it's non competitive

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Thats true, some tournaments hold more weight than others. My point was, there is no way you could get all the best MAtists together. Heck in the Olympics it only allows WTF players, thats just a percentage of the worldwide players.

16. Topher

Topher allo!

Why?

17. JiuJitsuJim

JiuJitsuJim New Member

Because the black belts are the most skilled fighters in the tournament. Everyone else who wins their division below black belt can claim to be world champion, but theres fine print to their world title (i.e. WORLD CHAMPION blue belt middleweight)

The black belt world champion is the world champ period- blues and purples are in no way going to be able to compete with the black belts- the brown belt champions (top 3 finishers) could compete in the black belt division and do well, but the fact that they won the brown belt division kinda hints that they're ready to be promoted to black.

The Mundials does a pretty good job of bringing together the best jiu jitsu fighters. Even in the event that someone who's really good cant make it, those who are world champions are often regular competitors, so while one may miss the actual world tournament, there are plenty of opportunities for them to fight against a world champion and guage themselves.

18. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Didn't Eddie Brazo submit Royler Gracie, a BB at the time, when he himself was a blue belt?

Doesn't that throw a spanner in that theory? Or was Royler just having a bad day?

19. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Maybe he shouldn't have been a blue belt at the time? </stirs the pot> ;)

20. JiuJitsuJim

JiuJitsuJim New Member

Eddie was in fact a brown belt when he submitted Royler- he recieved his black belt from Jean Jaques shortly after submitting Royler.

Royler was a champion in both aspects of the sport (the gi and no gi) but Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with the gi and submission wrestling fought without the gi are not the same thing. There are no belts in submission wrestling, so the fact that Eddie may have only had a brown belt with the gi does not mean its an accurate representation of his skills without the gi.

To use a MMA example, Matt Lindland is primarily a wrestler if you were to label his grappling style, but he submitted a BJJ black belt in Travis Lutter- that doesnt mean that Lindland is a better BJJ fighter than Lutter is.

Abu Dhabi isnt a BJJ tournament- its a submission wrestling tournament, so fighters from all different types of grappling styles (such as Judo, BJJ, freestyle wrestling, Shootfighting, Pancrase, submission wrestling, catch wrestling). Fighters that do not hold a high rank in BJJ but are quite skilled grapplers include Mark Kerr, Tito Ortiz, Oleg Taktarov, Frank Trig, Hayoto Sakurai, Caol Uno, Ivan Salverry, Josh Barnett etc etc.

With the exception of Oleg Taktarov (because hes a Judo fighter) most of these other fighters on here would not do particularly well in the Mundials because they do not know how to fight with a gi on. Just because you're a skilled grappler doesnt mean that you know how to fight with a gi, and there are many gi grapplers who cant fight in no gi, but they are far less in numbers.