Workout Help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cxw, Jan 22, 2005.

1. cxw

cxw Valued Member

I'm working out from home (with no spotter) with the following equipment:
    - Dumbells
    - Barbells (just purchased)
    - Skipping Rope
    - Swiss/stability ball
    - Medicine ball

I'm looking to do 2 heavy lifting sessions a week. Muay Thai will be Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.

My Sunday workout:
    - Chin-ups
    - Bent leg dead lift
    - Standing barbell military press
    - Dips

Thursday workout:
    - Pull-ups
    - Front barbell squats
    - Floor dumbbell press (not sure on this one due to my shoulder, see further down for more info)

This is all I have so far. I think I need something else on the Thurdsay, but am not sure what it should be. Perhaps some core work at the end? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Please note that I have a right shoulder which has been dislocated twice. The 2nd time was a partial dislocation whilst doing dumbbell press's on a swiss ball so please don't advise that excercise.

Also, after my warm up should I do stretching (static or dynamic) and/or practise excercises?

I'm planning to do 3 sets, with between 2 to 5 reps. Does the number of sets and reps seem reasonable? It's my understanding that it's safest and best to do all lifts very slowly - 2 seconds up and 3 seconds on the way down. Is this correct?

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Seems sensible.
    Don't deliberately lift the weights slowly to 'build tension'. Just put up the heaviest bars you can with good technique. Some guys like to emphasize the negative portion of the movement like you say- a tempo like 203 is pretty much what happens naturally, if you emphasize the negative portion of the movement.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  3. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

I'd do some stretches after i warm up, although most of the exercises shouldn't push your limits of mobility if you have an accident it can help, i slipped whilst doing dips and partially detached my pecs still can't do them again but the streching saved me.

I'm not sure how useful a floor dumbell press would be as it might restrict the full range of motion. try and find something round the house to lie on, i managed with some larged padded foot rests put back to back.

After that looks very good, but you might also want to try some tricep kick backs and extensions above the head, i read somewhere that they put emphasis on different heads of the muscle.

Also, i prefer to do a dumbel shoulder press to the military press as it gives a more natural, circular, action.

Okay i'm done, have fun training and hope this was of some use

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Some guys (e.g.some westside lifters) do floor presses, doesn't seem to present a problem. I still prefer a real bench though, for the reason that it has a rack attached. It's more or less a matter of personal preference.
    Yeah, pretty much everybody stretches as a matter of course before they work out but after warming up.
    The important time to stretch, though, is in the cool-down period afterwards where you can make big gains in flexibility.

5. Forest Bill

Forest Bill New Member

I'd swap the pull ups for a rowing movement so that Sunday's upper body movement is on a vertical plane while Thursday's is on a horizontal plane. Doing the floor press using a neutral grip with your elbows in will probably be safer for your shoulder. Maybe switch the deadlifts for sumo deadlifts to work your hamstrings more since the front squats are quad dominant.

If you're a beginner then 3x8 would be best but 3x5, 4x6 or 5x5 are good if you have more experience. If you're training for a MA then lift explosively and bring the weight down more slowly.

6. cxw

cxw Valued Member

I'll keep the sumo deadlifts in mind as an option.

What sort of excercises would consider to be rowing movements?

7. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Pre workout - should it be static and/or dynamic stretching?

Post workout - it should be all static?

8. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Rowing movements=barbell or dumbbell bentover row

9. Funky Phantom

Funky Phantom Valued Member

Bent-over Barbell Rows are a good general back exercise, but can (as with all exercises) do damage if done poorly, so make sure you watch your form.

10. Forest Bill

Forest Bill New Member

Make sure your lower back is arched and you don't cheat.

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey ur workout is far better than that noobie guy...
    Important points :
    K_E: Don't deliberately lift the weights slowly to 'build tension'.
    Foresst : Make sure your lower back is arched and you don't cheat.
    CXW: I'm planning to do 3 sets, with between 2 to 5 reps. This is right way. if you are lifting heavy avoid liftin more than 5...
    -TkdWarrior-

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

You need some ab work. Try some dragon flags. Add in your own stuff also.

Here is a pic of the dragon flags

Attached Files:

13. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Knight: Can you explain how to do th the dragonfly excercise? I can't find it on the web.

14. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Ignore the last post. It helps when you type Dragon Flag in Google rather than DragonFly!

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

If you have no spotter why dont you invest in a power rack, if you can afford it. Its great cause you can set the bar at different hights. That means when your doing squats for example, you dont have to lift the bar off the ground every set (which can really screw your back).