Workout for Wing Chun?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Lasky, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Lasky

Lasky New Member

Hello all.

I was just wondering- What are some good workouts for Wing Chun? I don't really like to lift weights but I do want to be able to be very good at my martial art.

Anything I can start out with?

Right now, I already run, lift some weights, do pushups and sit ups. What else can I do (preferably in place of lifting weights) that can help me be a better fighter?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Circuits, and boxercise classes? It kills, but it goes a looong way to becoming a better fighter.

3. Lasky

Lasky New Member

Thanks, I will definitely try it out.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

gymnastics exercises require no weights but will build massive core and arm strength, and you can do a lot of them on the floor (takes a long time to get good at them, though). stick with the weights to build the legs, though. squat and deadlift (will also build your core and back). if you go to a gym, and said gym has gymnastics rings, look into gymnastics ring-work as well.

5. Lasky

Lasky New Member

I will continue to use the weights for legs strength, definitely.

So is there any specific exercises I should do or what?

6. Fish Of Doom

7. Lasky

Lasky New Member

8. Fish Of Doom

this as well, but this is a REALLY hard exercise: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=509

and if you get access to rings, then pull-ups, dips, and eventually muscle-ups (going from a pull-up to a dip in a single rep), and progressing to a back lever for isometric holds should have you set for a while.

9. Fish Of Doom

:)

10. Lasky

Lasky New Member

I already stretched out and tried one of these. Wow. They aren't easy.

EDIT: Also, these exercises really hurt my wrist. Is there any real risk of injury?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  11. Fish Of Doom

if you don't force it, it's not likely to be a problem. try varying the angle of your hands, see if that helps.

12. Fish Of Doom

also, if you can, make yourself some parallettes (google 'homemade parallettes' and you'll get a ton of info). should help you avoid the weird wrist angles if you absolutely can't stand them (can also help with pushup variants that might present the same problem).

oh, and this: http://www.beastskills.com/

13. Lasky

Lasky New Member

In your opinion, will I absolutely need all of this to be good at a martial arts?

I've always been wondering this

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

to be good at any high skilled physical activity you need a good base of strength. to be great at it you need a lot of strength and skill

15. Lasky

Lasky New Member

Even for Wing Chun?

16. Fish Of Doom

it alone won't make you good, but it can make you better. and yes, you need strength for everything. not using strength is simply a metaphor for movement efficiency, and those who believe it literally are quite simply failing at physics and anatomy.

17. Mike Patak

Mike Patak New Member

Add stretching and Qigong exercises to that.

18. I would suggest to take kyokushin in between wing chun classes...
    That will help a lot! :)

Osu!

19. Lasky

Lasky New Member

I was also told that repeating the martial art day in and day out will make you strong. Now, I have been doing martial arts for two years now, but nothing like Wing Chun.

Any thoughts?

20. Lasky

Lasky New Member

That would be a possibility if I already didn't take on a second job in order to pay the bills anyway lol