Workout Advice sought

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by LilBunnyRabbit, Jul 13, 2011.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I've had a session with one of the staff at my gym who's given me the workout below as a suggestion. I should point out that my main aims in this are not weight loss, or general muscle gain, but instead to improve my ability in my main sports.

In terms of cardio I'm pretty much covered to my own satisfaction - I either run 4-8k/day (or run 4k and walk 4k) or cycle 11k each day.

Warmup:
    10 mins on cycle (if I haven't run/cycled to the leisure centre)
    8 mins on rowing machine

Core exercises:
    3 sets of 10 squat drops interspersed with 10 lateral raises
    2 sets of 10 archer's cable pulls/split squats on each side
    3 sets of close pull downs (12/10/8 with increasing weight)
    3 sets of chest presses (12/10/8 with increasing weight)

At the moment it's a tough workout for me, but I'm looking for any thoughts or criticism on it as well as suggestions on how to expand the workout as time goes on, or an alternate workout to do on off days.

2. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hey trouble, looks like the PT mods just expect you to read the millions of other threads that start like this :p

Squats and milk baby!

3. Kitit

Kitit New Member

According to my observation this advice is only helpful for the newcomers not for the professional. As you mentioned that 3 sets of close pull downs (12/10/8 with increasing weight) for the user, its really a light game for the regular user.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

whats your sport and how long are the rounds usually?

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'm far too lazy to do that. Much, much too lazy. Plus I'm new to this whole workout thing - generally I avoid forum areas like this since they make me feel bad for not exercising enough though. Now I've somehow ended up starting to get hooked.

And how are you, my fuzzy little koala?

Milk is bad. I dinnae like it. :(

I'm a newcomer, so advice helpful for newcomers would be kind of useful for me.

Archery and traditional fencing (semi-full contact rapier/longsword). Rounds in fencing aren't timed usually, instead going to first point which is generally within a few minutes at most. Depending on how the points are being scored a bout can last anything between five minutes to half an hour.

With archery there aren't rounds as such, but I'll generally loose six arrows before breaking to recover them. Only takes about a minute and I'm trying to speed that up.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

sounds like upper body HIIT is the stuff for you.
    You're working with short bursts of energy in both sports, followed by a brief period of rest. mainly upper body stuff.
    Lift for speed and power cos thats what you need.
    Row on the rowing machine at intervals too. Rowing is prolly the best thing for archery.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Thanks - I'll start adding a bit more rowing in as my fitness increases.

It certainly feels like it's working, and my pull in archery has increased a fair bit.