Working "The Core"?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by UntappedPower, Apr 30, 2007.

1. UntappedPower

UntappedPower New Member

I've read things all over about how important it is to have good core body strength, and the benefits of such. I seem to remember reading that core body strength is one of the big things to invest in as a fighter, and that you can only work everything else so much with a weak core, and then you reach a point where you have to build core strength to continue any further.

Now, as I said, thats all things I just seem to remember reading, so if its all hogwash I wouldn't be surprised.

ANYWAYS!

What exactly is considered 'core strength'? I had assumed this was things like Abs/Chest/Shoulders/Obliques/Lats/Back. Is this what is meant by 'the core?'

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Abdominal muscles :google:

3. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Not just abdominals, but all the musculature that surrounds and supports your mid and lower torso, which includes your abdominals, your obliques, your lower back muscles, and various other deep internal stabalizers.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Do some overhead squats to see what your core is :)

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I have anterior tilt are L seats a bad Idea? I read they strengthen the external obliques, but they would also strengthen the psoas and toehr hip flexors that I should be lengthening not strengthening.

6. Ad McG

Wouldn't kill you obviously but there are other things you could concentrate on if you were concerned about your posture. Depends on your priorities I suppose.

7. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Ditto. A good way to work specific muscles (such as abs) is to figure out what is the larger muscle group and fatigue it (not to the point of injury though)...then move to the smaller group and fatigue that one. Then, go back to the larger muscle group and end there. That's a physical therapy perspective of building muscle.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Would the ab wheel be better?

9. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

ab wheels are good. they go thru the wide range of motion that you need to help build up core strength. There was an awesome article in grappling magazine a long time ago with Eric Paulson and core strengthening drills. It involved bungee chords and a stability ball. I'll try to find it.

10. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Someone needs to make a sticky for core training

11. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

x2

This is still one of my favourite exercises for this exact reason, if you have a core weakness you'll know about it pretty quick. Start with just the bar ;)

12. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Go to a girly core stability class - you will soon know how much work you need to do when you are doing an overhead squat with 2 girly yellow dumbbells while trying to hold a swiss ball against the wall. Never mind the leg raises while squeezing it between your ankles.

13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

:D I'm the only person in my dojo to have never suffered a back injury. And the only girl in the dojo too. Says something for my girly core stability training.

Is an overhead squat where you just hold the bar above your head and do your squats?? I have no idea but would like to see how I fare in that one.

14. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

That's the one, yeah. I wouldn't say "just" though. :Angel: I tried them once with an empty 20kg bar and I was wobbly as hell!

15. Ad McG

Most people have trouble balancing on their heels while doing this. If you are coming up onto your toes, you aren't doing it correctly and have an imbalance with your quads/hip flexors and posterior chain.

16. Nurofen

Nurofen Valued Member

Where possible (and not too stupid)I throw myself off balance while I do most of my exercises, push ups with one foot and one hand on med balls, one leg raised doing standing alternate bicep curls etc.
    Works pretty well but I've been looking for a more targeted way to work those muscle groups.

17. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Most of the exercises I do regularly are what would be called core exercises. My favourite ones are:

Dynamic leg stretches;

Dr McGill's core lower back therapy stretches - for lower back, erectus spinata (sp?), hip adductors, glutes;

El Macho's sig stretches (find El Macho on Bullshido) - for hip adductors, glutes, hams;

All kinds of squats, esp overheads (I'd even go so far as to say try these with no weight first: this will help you to get the balance, shoulder flexibility, and hip, knee and ankle flexibility safely);

Push-ups, especially good for the core are push-ups with one leg a couple of inches off the ground;

Deadlifts;

Windmills;

Side presses;

Dunno what this is called but it's a killer: assume a bench press position on an exercise ball, get two 10 kg dbs, bench them and roll your whole body to one side and back with your arms going to parallel to the ground. Love it!