Working out when you dont feel like it!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bluesash, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

I had a hard time going to class the other day (mentaly), I was just so sore i didnt wana work out?, I went any ways, and did a hard work out and felt ok after, but in my mind i was not really into it? I think I was distracted that day? Anyone have that sometimes?

2. microhard

microhard Valued Member

I think that if you are "so sore that you don't want to work out", than don't. You body is letting you know it needs rest to recuperate.

3. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

I agree with Mircohard, your body does need plenty of rest and nourishment. Taking in water, food,and rest.

If your body is so sore, stretch out a little, but don't exert yourself to be as flexible as you were before. Stretch out, enough so you would feel comfortable.

4. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

I have that feeling sometimes, unless if I have to or if I was forced to do that. But if it was an optional choice I wouldn't go.

5. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

i get that to i usually take a little time away from training then go back when i feel i miss training i find this way i want to learn so i do learn alot more, alot quicker :woo:

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Everyone feels like that sometimes. You just need to push your body and your mind will follow, and get stronger.

7. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Those who push past the block usually applaud themselves for having the nads to do so. When you push yourself to do "IT" when you don't feel like it you normally get better results.

8. Lily

Lily Valued Member

I'd love to have your problem bluesash. I don't know when to quit and give myself no excuses and push past any block.

One good technique on my way to class is to spend 5 minutes just meditating on my walk there. I clear my mind, let go of any negative/distracting thoughts...for the last minute I focus my mind on the enjoyment I get out of class and what I want to work on. You'll become a pro and be able to do it in seconds the more you practice getting into the zone.

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Sometimes I have soreness and I can just leave a workout. But on rubbish days I have no soreness Im just week as a kitten. Probably my CNS. Decreasing the number of exercises I do eating more and taking 3 ZMA and 6g fish oil caps a day; has helped.

10. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

For myself, I find that the days when I feel least like going to class (sore, tired, bad mood, etc) are exactly the ones I need to go to. Being in the class usually fixes the problem, and these are often the classes where I learn the most.

Besides, if you skip the class, that's the one where your Sensei will teach THE coolest technique. :D

I don't give myself excuses.

11. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

It's hard to say when soreness is really a sign you should rest, usually though I say that if there is a twisting or pinching pain don't workout, rest. If your tired as hell try to do something for five minutes, if you can't then take a nap. If you can workout past five minutes then finish it up. Even if it isn't as good as usual it is better than doing nothing and it is better to do workouts out of habit than out of mood. Besides if your really too tired to work out you'd be asleep instead of contemplating whether or not you should work out.

12. Xpose

Xpose Valued Member

Ive been going to my new gym for almost a year and have yet to have a day when i dont feel like working out, its just something i love, even if your sore a little cardio could help speed up the recovery.

13. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

on days like that i have had to push myself harder resulting in some of my best training sessions. you tend to push harder therefore your gains will reflect your efforts

14. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

If you aren't crippling sore, go for it. Sometimes the only way to break through a plateau is by working through it

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

What if your mainly training for skill; wouldnt pushing it teach poor form?

16. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

if you are injury free and not sore to the point of having second thoughts, grow a sack and go to the gym.

i hate leg day and all i can think of is how i will be mentally and physically screwed afterwards.... but i still go because i have determination to reach my goals.

sometimes you end up having a great work out ;)

17. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

ROFLMAO :) :)

BTW, who are you with now you have quit ITA?

18. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I have that problem today only its purely a physical one not mental. my neck is a little sore and so are my legs from doing loads of hook kicks at training yesterday. In my head im fine i wanna go, but my body in hurting.

I hate missing training now, ive missed out so much already. Your not young forever and i just want to train as much as i can while i can.

19. Shotochem

Shotochem Master of Baby-Do-Jitsu..

I can't count how many times I felt too exaughsted to train. Just got off work after 11-12 hrs long drive home ect.... That's when I make myself go to class. If I were to stay home every time I felt that way I would hardly ever train. :rolleyes:
    I discovered that when I went to class tired I tended to be a lot looser and less tense. That's when I started to realize I did not need to use as much power as I was using just a little more finesse went a long way. I learned to be a better MA as a result of it. :)

When I actually go to class well rested I am even better. :D

20. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

I'm with nobody, there are no WTF/ITF schools in my area and the TAGB is a joke here (i know two of their black belts)....
    I'll be joining a cage rage school in January hopefully or finding a kick boxing club