Working Out late at night

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kemposhot, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Hi all, I have a few questions.

I've started to workout with weights in order to supplement my martial art training. However, due to my work schedule which I work late at night, most of my weight training has been going on in the middle of the night around 3 or 4am in the morning.

Is there anything in particular that should be kept in mind when working out weird hours? I know with the protein intake, I will usually take something after and then stay awake for an hour and a half or so. Is this enough time or am I doing more bad than good taking it and going to sleep that soon?

Thanks for any help.

2. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Usually I have trouble sleeping if its 1-2 hours after a workout( lifting or MA training ). Honestly I think that's the only issue. It is good to get some nutrients in your system after a work out, and that applies whether or not it's late in the day.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've worked out at almost midnight before, if it's the only time you can get it in get it in. Just make sure you're getting plenty of rest and that you're not skipping meals due to the crazy hours.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Can't see any reason why not, obviously you want to making sure your still getting enough sleep.

5. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

Different people have optimal times of day that work for them. personally Im a morning guy. In this case, there is nothing wrong with working out at night. The only concern Id have is you post workout nutrition may be affected, assuming you go to sleep a couple of hours after lifting? Ideally, you'd want to be stocking up on about 70g of carbs post workout, followed by 50g every 2-3 hours, as well as protein. this would not be possible if you are to be sleeping shortly after lifting, and so may have an effect.

6. RJDefaye

RJDefaye Valued Member

All of my work is done late at night and I don't tend to go to bed until maybe 5am or so. It's 4:06am now and i finished work early a couple hours ago, so this is maybe a normal person's dinner time or something for my body clock. I normall don't go to the gym until 11 or 12 at night (i go to a 24 hour gym) on my nights off. Sometimes if i get away from work early i'll go to the gym.

But like other people have said already it doesn't really matter what time you go as long as you go. One thing i have heard, however, is that people who work night times like us tend to have a shorter life expectancy or something. But as far as working out is concerned i haven't heard anything negative about training.

RJ

7. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

First off thank you everyone for the advice.

I've heard that about working at night lowering your life expectancy as well as weakening your immune system. Unfortunately being rather new to my work, I'm forced to work a less desirable shift. Personally I don't mind all that much working at night. Its only tough on days off trying to sleep normally. However, I will usually attend the gym later at night on my days off as well to keep a normal schedule with that at least.

My main concern, which was addressed was the intake of protein so close to bed time. I didn't know if I was doing more harm than good that way. But it sounds like I'm on the right track, thank you!

8. seiken steve

To be fair correlations are not cause and effect, on a night shift eating healthy is not convenient and light/noisy family make it tough to get a full 8 hours, this more than the act of working late is the cause IMO.

Just my 2p.

Oh you want to be hammering the vit D too.

9. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Where did you hear that working out late at night will lower your life expectancy and weaken your immune system?

It is generally accepted that working out does the exact OPPOSITE of that..provided you still rest and eat right. Whatever time you chose to workout, just make sure you remain consistent as possible with your schedule and your eating habits.

10. seiken steve

Working not working out, like doing night shift etc.
    Working out is good for you as far as I know :cool::p

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Midnight training

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpHPUEdkMH8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - ChestFeb17.wmv[/ame]

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I've read a number of studies that suggest that shift workers, night workers and people who work other irregular hours (e.g. airline cabin crew) are likely to be less healthy and more susceptible to disease (e.g. cancer). However, none of them are conclusive and often don't really take other factors, such as poor diet, exposure to pollutants etc, into account.

13. seiken steve

Yeah see comment #8

Oh and Jay has some gay workout tunes!!

14. Custom Volusia

Yup! Good catch. Re-read that after this one. Oops. lol!!

I've also seen studies SUGGESTING that. The way I see it...EVERYTHING lowers our life expectancy. Didn't eat enough broccoli? Gonna get cancer. Didn't spend enough time in the sun? Gonna die early. Spent TOO much time in the sun? Gonna get cancer. Had three bags of microwave popcorn a day and smelled em when opening each time? Gonna get cancer. ETC.

Exercise. Eat right. Sleep well (which I need to work on). Enjoy life.

15. RJDefaye

RJDefaye Valued Member

Yeah, everything's bad for us these days, apparently. Fact of the matter is that I love night time now because the world seems less populated and my lifestyle isn't hindered that much because there are things open 24 hours. I don't really have any trouble sleeping unless there is really obnoxious noise and then I just put earplugs in.

I do find that I get headaches from the sun now though, unless I wear shades.

RJ

16. Custom Volusia

Life is the leading cause of death. Be careful!

17. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Lol very true