Working on off-days

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Banpen Fugyo, May 31, 2011.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

So... Ive recently restarted Ross Enamaits "Infinite Intensity" workout. Skip to the bold at the bottom if you know this routine or you dont feel like reading.

For those of you not familiar, it runs in a 4 day on, 1 day off week, and incorporates bodyweight training, cardio, sprints, and free weight training. The workouts get harder and harder (hence "infinite intensity") by increasing workload, speed, duration, sets, and/or distance.

Here is a sample week:

Day 1:

5 sets (circuit) of-

-5 Dumbbell Snatches per arm
    -5 Dumbbell Swings per arm
    -10 Burpees
    -Rest 60 seconds
    -------------
    3 sets of Farmer's walks

Day 2:

4 x 800 meters as fast as possible
    4 x 50 meter sprints
    -------------
    Core training (Ab wheel rollouts, Russian twists, etc)

Day 3:

-4x3(per arm) 5RepMax - One arm clean and press
    -4x4(per arm) 5RepMax - One arm snatch
    Superset-
    -----4x5 One-Legged Squat
    -----4x5 Glute-Ham Raise
    Superset-
    -----4x5 Pullups
    -----4x15 Pushups
    -------------
    100 Sledgehammer swings (hitting a tire)

Day 4:

5 sets (circuit) of-

-30 seconds Burpees
    -30 seconds Jumping Jacks
    -30 seconds High Knee Dumbbell Press (5lbs)
    -30 seconds Shadow Boxing
    -No rest
    -------------
    Core Training (Ab wheel rollouts, Russian twists, etc)

Day 5:

Rest

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im in my late twenties, weigh about 200lbs and I am 6'4".. so Im pretty skinny. Im kinda ok with this, though.

The reason I workout IS to build muscle, but Im mostly concerned with lowering my bodyfat, becoming more agile, and overall more athletic. Im afraid to say the past year Ive been slacking on both my gym and martial art training and Im not where I want to be anymore.

I hike, hit trails on my mountain bike, and punch my heavy/double-end bags pretty frequently though.

With these active hobbies and the intensity of my routine, Im finding it hard to motivate myself to do either one for fear of injury or just being plain old tired.

Should I do Inf. Int. on a every-other-day basis? What kind of light workouts would you recommend for my off-days? If I were to do something like Day 1 and then the next day I mountain bike for 3 hours, should I skip Day 2?

:confused: Im sorry this is so long and confusing, but Im not too sure what to do with myself in the summer... So much fun to be had!

2. Jphaas

Jphaas Valued Member

I've done Ross' Infinite Intensity program in the past, so I know what you mean. Those rest days really come in handy. :)

What I've found is that if I try to cram in all my usual activities with training of this type (super intense) I do great for a week or 2 and then burn out. What I'd suggest is doing the routine as prescribed and gradually add in the other stuff. The idea of the workout is to build your GPP - general physical preparedness. So as you build it, your ability to recover quicker improves as does your ability to add training volume. But, you can't do it all at once.

Use Day 5 for active recovery work - joint mobility session, walking, light bike ride, etc. Then, as you increase your capacity, you can increase your activities. Make sense?

3. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Yeah it does, thanks...

I was worried about changing his routine too much because Ive had so much success with it in the past, but that makes sense.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

The training looks really cool though!
    Got to be honest you won't build much muscle.

I would usually say do a routine word for word or don't do it all, but we'll think of something.

Do usually have DOMS of your bike rides or trail hikes? If not then I'd do a day on/ a day off with your day off being the days you bike ride etc.

Try and have a day at least every 2 weeks where you do bugger all.

You haven't mentioned nutrition but it's going to be vital if you are working at an intense rate often.
    Loads of water is no1. Up the protien and drop the crap. A handful of fish oils a day and a couple of ZMA at night will make a whole load of difference. IMO

If you can afford it a proper sport massage every month or two may be helpful (hey if you can afford it buy me one too!)

In all honesty you'll adapt before you know it, people fret about over training etc but you can adapt really easily. In my last fight prep camp my Wednesday was boxing at 6am with fitness boxing 5pm sparring and technique and hitting the weights at 7-8 ish. The thursday I was boxing again at 6pm. If I just jumped into it that would have destroyed me, but I eased in and got through no bother, with decent nutrition, sensible exersice choice (especcially with the weights) and plenty of sleep.
    Point is eventually you'll be able to do the lot and enjoy it, while others shake their bony fists at you and tell you that you're breaking the rules.

Sorry about the wall of text, trying to avoid revision, hope it's helpful.