Wooden Dummy?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Zundap, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Zundap

Zundap New Member

I understand what you saying Sifu Ben, but i have no other option, my wife's health is not good and she is scared stiff of the situation in our area. So i don't want to leave her in the house alone hence the need for a dummy at home. I really don't have any other option. Thanks.

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

My advice if you want to use the dummy for your escrima stuff would be this: practice what you've been trained in by your instructor.

The wing chun dummy requires the body mechanics built in the previous forms as well as some new stuff specialized to the mechanics needed for the dummy. Trying to pick that up on your own from videos is not going to happen. I guarantee you will miss important mechanics and subtleties of movements.

Practice what you know.

3. Zundap

Zundap New Member

That looks a very handy tool and cheap too, it would make a good addition to the wooden dummy a sort of combination of the two. I am pretty much intent on getting a dummy but i really want a good one, i don't mind paying for it, you get what you pay for .....if your careful as they say. I think i will go for that attachment though. Thanks a lot for that Sifu Ben. :)

4. Zundap

Zundap New Member

Thanks for your advice Sifu Ben, its greatly appreciated.

5. Zundap

Zundap New Member

This is proving interesting Dan Bian, according to Playwell the dummy is made of North African Spotty wood. I did a google for it and i got just one hit, that was another chap asking for any information on Spotty Wood because he also could not find anything on it either. I did a search for Spotty Wood on Wicki as well again Wiki has no record on Spotty Wood either.

I'll try my local business library tomorrow, its a sub section of our local library, they are fantastic people. I just tell them what i'm looking for, give them a bit of time and then they will phone me back with a rake of info. If they cant find it, it does not exist guaranteed. With your experience of Playwell i am pretty sure the library will find it though, Playwell are respected and well established martial arts supplier. I'l let you know how it goes. Thanks Dan Bian.

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Well one more tidbit of advice. Rather than buying the specialized pads for the dummy, if you're buying a wooden one get some strong 1.5" double sided tape and a cheap yoga mat. Wrap the yoga mat around the upper section of the dummy and use the tape to attach the mat to itself at the side (you should be able to wrap it twice so you get a double layer at the front and side entry angles). Use a craft knife to carefully cut out the arm and slat holes on both sides. You'll have much larger target areas to strike, it's cheaper, and moves less than the standard dummy pads.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  7. Zundap

Zundap New Member

Sorry to be so late in replying i have been ill, still not quite 100% but i'm getting there. Thanks for the tip Sifu Ben i will most certainly do that.

Thanks a lot. :)

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

If you are doing any training that involves repeatedly hitting inanimate objects I would also strongly recommend you speak to someone qualified in training medicines/ointments (frequently called Teas in TCMA). There is a highly developed methodology to conditioning.