Wooden Dummy?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Zundap, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Zundap

Zundap New Member

Hi, could anyone tell me where i could buy a good wooden dummy here in the UK? Thanks in advance.

2. Zundap

Zundap New Member

Does no one know any where?

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Why not ask your Sifu?

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

His profile says "none yet" under styles.

Welcome Zundap, I would recommend you start studying under a qualified instructor before worrying about buying equipment you won't know how to properly use for awhile. :)

6. SWC Sifu Ben

Thanks, I missed that :D

And a good mook yan jong is quite an investment. Mine cost $2000 CAD. If you don't know what you're doing all that money does is go down the toilet. The jong requires proper training.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

No reason why you can't construct your own DIY one though for significantly less, is there?

8. aaradia

Still expensive though.

One of our instructors made one as as school project. I think the supplies cost around $600 dollars. Not to mention all the time he put into it. (That would be a CLF dummy, which is slightly different than the more commonly known WC one.)

Why would anyone want to spend so much money and time on one though if they don't have any training in any martial art to use it? To each their own, but if seems far more useful to spend the money on lessons and the time starting to learn an art first.

I mean practice MA's long enough to decide you would actually want such a big expensive piece of equipment around seems a smarter way to go about it too.

9. ned

ned Valued Member

Putting aside the fact that , as has been pointed out , it's premature to think about getting a dummy before you've reached an at least intermediate level of WC (usually after learning and being able to apply techniques of chum kil )
    making one is actually a fairly demanding piece of carpentry .

The setting out and morticing of the arms and leg is the most complex part and needs to be accurate otherwise you'll be developing incorrect structure .
    Making the arms themselves with offset shoulders and tenons would also probably be beyond anyone without more than a basic competency in carpentry though you can buy a set for around £80.
    The traditional method of mounting on parallel bars through the body on either a wall or on stands needs a lot of space and a free standing base is more convenient but requires careful consideration ( I built one with a ply base and a metal spigot with a length of scaffold tube , which I weight with a couple of bags of sand ) . A 'dead' dummy fixed in the ground is the other more traditional option.

It probably cost me about £30 in materials ( mostly using stuff I got for free through my work ) and of course my time - I'm not sure how many hours I spent on it as I made it over the course of a year or so .
    I got my drawings from an old Randy Williams manual I picked up but you can find drawings online easily .

Attached Files:

10. SWC Sifu Ben

On top of the skill needed to make one you need the right kind of wood. Without sufficient mass and the right spring from the slats the dummy will respond badly. The usual choices are teak or mahogany as they tend to be moisture resistant as well.
    If you have the skill, the materials, and the equipment, you probably have enough money to simply buy one.

11. ned

ned Valued Member

You'd think so but not when you have a large family , mortgage and the taxman to think about.

12. SWC Sifu Ben

Wel you seem to have done a damned good job on yours! If I may, what's the diameter of the jong? I looks somewhat small from the photo.

13. ned

ned Valued Member

Thanks ! Yeh , you're right it is a bit on the small side.The pole is elliptically shaped so I positioned it with the widest face forward and it is 8" wide .
    My shifu checked it out and said the same thing and that it was actually well suited for my daughter (15 yrs) but OK for me to start on .
    It was a bit of a learning curve making it and I'll probably build another ,possibly a dead one to have fixed in the garden for which I 'll source a bigger pole.
    I like the thought that I'm following in an old tradition as in the past in the days before mail order or the internet making your own (or having the local carpenter knock one up) was the only option . :)

14. Zundap

Zundap New Member

Thanks every one for your replies, I am grateful to you all.

Thanks for the link Dan Bian, I cant understand why that web page did not come up in my google searches though, but not to worry I have it now. Could I just ask if you your self have bought a dummy from this place? or is their wooden dummy a legitimate construction made to the correct measurements and alignment etc?

To explain my interest in the wooden dummy, i am actually an old...ish guy of 64, (a coffin dodger no less) I practiced western boxing from the age of 10 to 17, i'm no bragadosio but in truth I was certainly at least half decent at it. I then went in to Wado Ryu karate, but it wasn't for me for a number of reasons. With all due respectful, I was totally disappointed with it.

Then I did Ju Jitsu, I learned a fantastic amount and enjoyed it thoroughly, I have big big respect for both Western Boxing and Ju Jitsu.

After that I did Escrima. I chose Escrima simply because of the sticks, the only weapon that you can legally carry in public. As I have two dogs, I carry one stick for each dog to play fetch with, two cut down brush stales with teeth marks in them are just as easy and effective as my rattan sticks and they are for the dogs of course if the bobby should ask.

My Escrima instructor, had the fastest hands I have ever had the privilege to see, To say his hands were a total blur is an absolutely accurate description. A top flight Escrimador as you all probably know, can hit 11 times a second with his sticks, and exactly the same with his hands. It erks me no end to admit that I could never get any where near his hand speed, I am now and will always be in total awe of his ability. I have big, big respect for Escrima, both empty hand, sticks and of course knife…...should the need arise. And you don't need a black belt or gold T shirt (as it was in Escrima) to qualify for weapons training, with Escrima weapons come first of course.

If I sound paranoid, there is a good reason for it, over my life time, I have seen my area change from a lovely peaceful area I was proud to live in, in to a multicultural hell hole that I would dearly love to leave a continent behind me. But I cant, so i will just do the best I can.

I believe that a wooden dummy will help me maintain the speed and fluency of my Escrima skills such as they are, in the comfort and safety of my own home. I would welcome any more tips or advice any one can give me.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and advice.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  15. aaradia

Oh, that is one I never heard of before. Using a wooden dummy for practicing Escrima. Is this something other Escrima people do? Or is it something you came up with? Sounds interesting and cool. :cool:

If you get that dummy, I would love to see a video of you practicing Escrima on it!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  16. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Sorry, I haven't purchased a dummy from them. I do, however, use them to buy the majority of my MA supplies and the service has always been good, and the quality top-notch?

17. SWC Sifu Ben

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Singh has been doing it for a few years now

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER1I_8haTCk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER1I_8haTCk[/ame]

This is not too suprising since Vu was always an advocate of "personalizing" dummy work with other systems

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euurrW_-NhA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euurrW_-NhA[/ame]

19. Zundap

Zundap New Member

Thanks Dan Bian, i'l give them a bell and hopefully buy one.

I forgot to mention in my last post that i do intend to try Wing Chun as well just out of interest and maybe incorporate some of it with Escrima. There are quite a few Wing Chun tutorials on the net, i also have a couple of videos that i can refer to. Bearing in mind that Escrima already has some Wing Chun moves in it already of course.

For my stick work i use three tyres stacked on top of each other, tied together and hung from my garage roof, it sounds just like i am playing the Bongos according to my neighbors Fortunately i have great neighbors and they don't mind the noise at all.

Thanks again to every one. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  20. SWC Sifu Ben

If you want to have good technique... don't use those.