Wong_Hsing-I_Chuan.wmv

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Sankaku-jime, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

3. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Nice one... thanks..

5. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Pretty cool vid... some interesting differences in the way they're doing they're wuxing and what I do, still enough similarities to see that it came from the same place. Different, but still the essence is there. Nice. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Is he performing at that speed simply to demonstrate the motions or do they always practice so slow? Most people I know do the wuxing at natural speed unless they're demonstrating, or really working on something specific.

Thanks for the link.

6. middleway

middleway Valued Member

IME there are many many ways to practice Wu Xing. From holding each posture for minutes at a time before moving, to natural speed, to extreme slow motion, to extreme speed.

I think the application work in this video is a demonstration of ideas.

Thanks for the link. not often you see such a well known master from the older generation on film.

Regards
    Chris

7. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Agreed. I'm just wondering why they chose to partice them at that speed in this instance. Most likely so that the motions are clear for the video.

8. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Is Wong one of the people Robert W. Smith learned from?

9. IronBridge

IronBridge New Member

Nice vid. One of the last and best of his generation. whish i could have seen some of his ba gua. Thanks

10. middleway

middleway Valued Member

shaolin_hendrix,

yes although not for long. I think there is a picture of Hung Yi Sheng punching Wang in the guts in 'masters and methods' ... to no avail. :D

Cheers
    Chris

11. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Yes, and in Martial Musings there's a good picture of Smith punching Wang Sifu's gut. And in a far more convincing manner than the gentleman in that video.

- Matt

12. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Thanks middleway and Matt_Bernius. I'm a big fan of Smith's books (I have Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods, Pa-Kua: Chinese Boxing for Fitness and Self-Defense, and Hsing-I: Chinese Mind-Body Boxing).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  13. Jon1983uk

Jon1983uk Valued Member

Hehe, thanks for the vid and the link sar! :) Nice to see a good collection of Hsing-I clips! I've relatively new to Hsing-I so I must put my hands up and say I don't know of this Master Wong, but I do like what I see! :D

There's a few slight diferences in this clip to the way I've been taught, but I could pick out the different forms with relative ease. I do enjoy the way Master Wong does the turn in the wood form. :D

Some excellent applications at the end too! I've never seen a countered chi strike-esque stomach bounce before! :D He shows the relaxed grace of the movements, he certainly looks like he knows what he's doing.

I have been told you should drill the forms faster for combat as you get better, but should still always drill them slowly too (and indeed in the rather painful 'box' method of not moving forward or back more than one step :)), as this can help for meditation and, of course, to help get them right. :D