Won-Hyo Question

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TkdWarrior, Nov 19, 2002.

1. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

this is Won-Hyo(ITF) question put up by some guy...i hav seen this form, but havn't done it... but still i was curious..
    any answers guys??
    -TkdWarrior-

2. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I'll give it a go

Okay doke, I'm not an ITF guy but judging from your description I'll give it a go.

From your description of the motions I'm going to say that your body is set up mechanically for a reverse punch. This is my understanding because after the front kick you're landing in a walking stance, still hi and fairly square with target. While kicking you should be pushing hip forward to gain the desired power in the front kick so when you land you're still offset to the one side. Lunging in this situation would lack power as you have no hip snap available to you. The reverse punch allows the hips to pull back while pushing the punch out achieving maximum power.

If you change the stance to a backstance, you could probably use more of a lunging side punch instead of punching across your body, still it lacks power but there is the range issue all of a sudden.

Any ITF guys have an interpretation.

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

i hav ditto this interpretatoin artikon :)
    -TkdWarrior-

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'd imagine because a lunge punch is less powerful, and puts you off balance. Just a guess though.

5. darlph

darlph New Member

One of my favorites to teach students. It's the first one they learn different arm and leg.
    you start with hands at hips slightly bent knees(head heighth)
    19. step left, right circle block (simultaneously) then right-aim
    20. front kick right set down,then punch left,
    21. circle left-aim, front kick left, right punch
    22. hands to left hip right side kick set down feet together)
    23. look, left step 170* to left and middle block
    24. look right, step foot to foot middle block Kiap!

Master Cho's book has a really nice explanation. Yates adds a sudo after the kick and then goes side to side. I was taught to set down and pivot to the middle block sequence. So funny how different they are in different areas, huh? Remember it' an "I" pattern or sideways "H".
    I also agree with the others about the whys. Mas Cho states"difficulty lies in placing all your weight on one leg, and in moving your waist smoothly." "when mastered, they are effective as counter attacks."

6. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I agree with the above. when you land the reverse punch will use that power in its technique. For a lot of people, a reverse will gain more power from that stance.

7. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Hi all,

If you shorten the stances used and close the block down you can see how the 'block' can be used to shelve either a yobbo kick (by moving on a 45 angle) or a roundhouse/turning kick.

The punch after your counter kick to their leg can be used to either clear the leg you've grabbed or to turn them as they go to the ground (depending on the leg you've grabbed).