Women's self defence and short men

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Van Zandt, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

A friend of mine and I - we're both under 5'4 in height and weigh less than 125 lbs - were discussing the differences between self defence principles for women and short-**** blokes like us. We came to the agreement that many of the principles would be the same, such as using a lower centre of gravity to our advantage, and that perhaps female-only SD classes exist because women feel more comfortable in that setting.

Thoughts?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Grow some :)

Is this a Map meet?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Wow it makes your ability to kick people in the head all the more impressive!

:D

I'm only 5'6

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If I was a shorter guy (I'm only about average height to begin with), I'd train the same way I do now but probably with a bigger emphasis on attacking the knees, shins, groin, thighs, and ankles of my opponent with kicks.

5. righty

righty Valued Member

Most definitely. Some techniques are going to be harder depending on the height differences between attacker and defender. It's fine as long as you identify them and mostly train for the defenses that are easier for your body type. It's the same for other body types, train for your body. e.g. strong but slow, weaker but fast types.

Again, most definitely. You only have to look at the number of women in an average martial arts class to see that obviously, men are more comfortable is that sort of training environment. Either from a physical standpoint or a social one.

6. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

i still dont think that most of the self defence classes they teach women are a good thing. What I see from most of them is complient practice and the building of a false sense of security which will make them put themselves in situations that without it, they would be able to avoid. Half the womens self defence stuff I have seen has been the kind of thing where the guy grabs the womans rist, then stands there are she elbow pummles him in the face 8 times, knees him in the crotch then walks off. In real life if she tried that once, weighing what women weight(i.e a lot less than men) they guy would just get angry and more aggressive.

Best defence for women, common sense, (i.e dont go to horrible dives, dont **** talk gang members etc) and failing that mace, a taser, a good set of legs (for running) and a cell phone

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Funny bastid. :woo:

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You should see my ability to pull tall chicks :D

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'm weird - I prefer to kick to the head and punch to the crotch. :eek:

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

In addition to having serious man love for Bill Wallace, my height is probably the main reason for focusing so intently on head kicks. I have a solid right hook, but the two times I used it for real, I barely fazed the first guy and broke my hand hitting the second guy (both over 6'2). My kicks, on the other hand, have troubled very nearly everyone I've hit with them. Most don't expect it, or know how to handle it, and the amount of power I can generate compared to my sissy punches is unreal. :D

I must say, however, that my friend of equal height and I seem to get into more fights than our taller, heavier-built friends. We assume it's because we're small and perceived to be easier targets. That, or the other blokes are jealous of my model good looks. But it is rather fun when they pick on my friend and I when we're together - he's a kicker too (Thai), and years of training under Bob Breen and Rick Young. :evil:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  11. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Shouldn't women traiing for self defence train WITH men?

Would make sense to get used to the scenario for which you prepare for, would it not?

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

ok, i have nothing to say at the moment but: "short man reporting for duty!"

i shall watch this topic until the opportunity arises for a suitably funny comment

13. Moi

.....down so I can reach them

14. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

depends on the lassies.

seriously? Only a few times in my life have I gone looking for a fight each time it was because of attacks on females.

Times have changed used to be anyone lifted his hand to a female got pulled for it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  15. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I don't know, I think there are still differences.

Men have a whole assload more upper body strength, and more strength in general.

Btw who is the woman in that image??

16. koyo

It's from Centurian .Just out on DVD by the director of Dog Soldiers and the Descent.

Women can carry some excelent weapons in their bags.

If they cannot escape it is not self defence any more it is survival.

That is why I have nothing but contempt for "men" who attack women.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

She is also known as Olga Kurylenko, or as I like to call her, "My future ex wife." :evil:

[​IMG]

18. koyo

I can just imagine the fight between her and William Wallace ..to see who gets you.

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Does this go back to you kicking people in the head?

:D

20. Moi

He says pull. Drag would be more accurate :)

What's this thread about again?

Oh crap!