Women of Jujutsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by slipthejab, May 13, 2007.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

http://www.sanyamabushi-goju.com/women.html

Here's an interesting piece I came across I thought the jujutsu natives would enjoy. It's even got some pictures. :D

The one below is:
    Esther Azumi Takamoto - Performing Danzan-Ryu Jujutsu 1940's

Attached Files:

2. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

That's awesome. I wonder if I can get my Ju Jutsu instructor on those pages too. :D

3. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

The guys from San Yama Bushi come to some of our seminars. There is one really tiny lady, her name escapes me at the moment (I will ask my Sensei) She is absolutly amazing to watch in action.

4. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

One noteworthy woman in Jujutsu is Hasegawa sensei of the mainline Daito-ryu organization (under Kondo sensei). She has accompanied Kondo to the US for several seminars. Her technique is about as close to flawless as one can get.

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Slip thanks for the post, I have no girls left to train with and its hard for me at times to hook up with female jitsuka and speak of our experiences. In fact I only know 1 in real life and she is at a different dojo...see her maybe twice a year.

I found my 'thing' with Jujitsu and I love it, I hope to be an example to the females that come into our dojo to watch or try it out. I also know its not for everyone and I am a little crushed when females drop out/feel that training is 'too hard'.

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

We have only one girl training at the makotokai at the moment and I DID notice that when told to change partners she was usually the last choice. I began to use her as uke to demonstrate technique. The I told the boys that I did not ever want to se her "looking" for a partner. She thrived upon it and is now training alongside the guys.

There is something wrong when such an approach was needed.

regards koyo

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting.
    We've got one girl at our BJJ club and when she first got there no was too keen to roll with her. I think many of our Chinese guys were quite self conscious about rolling with a female. That's she's HAWT made it even worse. So being the altruistic person that I am I volunteered. :D

She's also spent a huge amount of time rolling with the instructor... and now very few of the guys want to roll with her because her submissions are bang on! :D

She rolled with men at the recent comp in the Phillipines because there weren't any women in her weight class.. and she beat 2 out of the 3 guys she rolled with in the no gi bouts. :eek:

So yeah... anyone who starts discounting a female training partner because she's female is just daft.

8. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi Slip

Anyone who discounts the fact that both his wife and daughter are second dans under Chiba shihan is just CRAZY!!I know to my pain.
    I think it is my natural contempt for anyone who attacks a woman or someone "physically" weaker than them that has coloured my approach however I learned long ago that women can be just as effective as men in the martial arts.

Mrs koyo has just told me that I must quote her here. If a woman wants to be equal to a man...she lacks ambition.

See how henpecked I am :D

regards koyo

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  9. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

LOL, Thats a great quote. All hail Mrs. Koyo. :p

10. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Having said that though....you should be gentle for them and let them ease in. not many girls are gung ho, and you'll be responsible for letting a lot of them drop out if you don't go easy.

Later though, it pays to challenge them and get them going with the big boys. I've seen quite a few girls improve remarkably, when I train with them, their kuzushi was so good, I thought I had to up the ante.

Then there's the other side of the fence, when you get girls that are downright nasty, and use the fact that they are girls to come up with an excuse for their partner to be overly compliant, and then be really rough when it's their turn. I knew one women who used to love kicking guys in the nads, that's just not on.

11. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

We have as many as 6 women on the mat in a busy class.

One of the women is still a teenager (16 I think) and she's 6 foot and solid frame not fat. She is one of the most challenging people to train with. Her ground work is extremely solid and her stand up is good too.

Our instructor's wife (godan) teaches there too. She's about 95 lbs soaking wet and she'll twist you like a pretzel. She often uses me (6'2" 270lbs) when she wants to demonstrate how a technique is still effective or requires a different approach when facing a much larger opponent.

Its one of the things I like about martial arts. Skill > strength.

12. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

This lady gets my vote. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6q3XE_-kEM]Old school jujutsu [/ame]

13. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Well thats one way to say NO on a date !!!!!!!

nice one Steve :cool:

14. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I was rolling with a girl I train with yesterday, and to be honest wasn't taking her very seriously.....next thing I knew I was in her guard and I got Gogoplata'd. Apparently everyone saw it coming but me :(

15. Atharel

Atharel Errant

hahaha
    You got beat by a g-... gogoplata. :D

Kogusoku - that's some nice oldschool JJ there. Is that from the time of Tani?

16. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hehe, go Mrs Koyo!! :cool:

You have to prove yourself just that little bit more as a girl in the dojo to some of the guys. Many of the guys I train with really support me and push me, the same thing I do for them.

I'm never short of training partners, I'm taken seriously though the guys keep it light hearted.

KF - sux to be you :D

17. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Yes, from roughly that era.

There were also a number of British lawyers in the Tokyo area during the Meiji jidai who studied a number of koryu jujutsu alongside Kodokan judo. It might have come from this source too, since the locking of the elbows during tomoe isn't really done in Kodokan judo.

18. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

The powdering of the neck at the end is classic :D

Kogusoku, interesting that the locking of the elbows during Tomoe nage isn't done in the kodokan.

We use that method for the throw (for a front strangle anyway) in Tsustumi Hozan ryu. The ryu has many of the 'larger' judo type throws, and the general concensus is that this came from Masao Tsutsumi - the last heriditary tsutsumi master - assisting in the development of Judo. ie, some exchange of techniques. I assumed Tomoe nage was one of the techniques taken from that exchange, but perhaps it is an older addition?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, you've just given me something to think about :Angel:

19. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

We don't have many women either, and one is leaving *sigh*.
    The junior classes are about equally split, male/female, but it all changes at adult.
    Some of those pics are great.

20. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Stay with it Rhea...are you going to MAP meet ?

Smurf